GL1800Riders Forums banner

Todays Ride

4K views 53 replies 9 participants last post by  carolinarider10 
#1 ·
Just went out for a short ride (maybe 60 miles). Just get back before it started to sprinkle. Also tested the camera mount. Still have some vibration and some resolution problems. Will keep working on both.

#4 · (Edited)
The camera is a Contour, not sure which model, not the most recent. I think its the Contour Roam 3 but I will have to go outside and look to verify.

Its my third Contour. One fell off the nose of my ST about 10 years ago somewhere in Kentucky. This one is the easiest to use, just have to slide the big switch on top forward and its on. Only drawback is that the battery cannot be exchanged on the road. The earlier Contour had a removable battery so you could just swap out the battery on the road as needed.

This is the first time I have had access to the camera while riding so I can turn it on and off at will.

I have a problem uploading large files right now to Youtube which makes it a little easier to watch. Here is the same camera, mounted under the nose of the wing climbing Big Horn.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcmi3fnzzgk2voq/Climbing Big Horn.mp4?dl=0

Update, I just checked is a Contour Roam3

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing the video. Yea the roads were pretty smooth >:) . U-Tube no longer offers the stabilization for your video's . You might try one of the video stabilizing apps you can find on Google. Most of these are free downloads and work pretty good. Just another step before you post to U-tube ,but may be worth a look. :thumbup: The Big Horn video was nice and it makes me really , really, want to head out SOMEWHERE . Beautiful area.

#7 ·
Thanks Yoda, yes I did some research and looking and could not find the stabilization thingy on Youtube. Did see some other programs. I tend to be leary of "free" software because nothing is really free.

About Big Horn, its like so much of the states, pictures and videos don't really do it justice. When we took our first trip out west (2009 I think) we road north from the Grand Canyon to Yellowstone and made several stops on the way (overnight). What got me was the secrecy almost constantly changed, plains buttes, mesas, valleys with rivers running along side the road. Not much traffic in most areas (early June) just a fun ride. It was 34 as I remember when we got to the top of Beartooth, 14,000 plus feet. We will do it again in June of this year.

#8 · (Edited)
Today's Ride (well it was yesterday but I had to wait to upload the video)

About 130 miles from home to Nance Tractor's in McConnells, SC to order some tractor parts. This some video of the trip back. It was taken with my Contour HD mounted under the nose of my ST1300.

Riding the ST is a real trip. You have to hold back on the throttle to keep from exceeding the nominal speed on secondary roads.

I did pass a car that was going less than the speed limit that was following a black SUV pretty close. I passed and noted it was a Sheriffs' Deputy. I resumed normal speed for the next five or six miles and he turned off the road.

#9 ·
Thanks for the video. I noticed that Spring has not arrived in North Carolina yet because trees are still barren of leaves . Here in Texas , trees and grass are green and wildflowers are everywhere . Gotta love Texas. Oh yea, my daughter had a car pull up real fast behind her last night and got right on her bumper in an unmarked car. She was afraid it was a road rage incident so she floored it to get away. 90 mph later she was pulled over and received a huge ticket.>:)>:)

#11 ·
Yesterday's ride. From Ball Ground, GA to home. I forgot to turn the camera on when I planned, leaving my niece's home near Ball Ground, GA so this video is just some parts of the trip through rural GA and SC.

May have to look into what the quality of the video is when uploaded. It was shot on 1080p but it does not look that way of Youtube. But it might have to do with road quality (ie. the roads are not smooth)

#13 ·
Todays Ride April 24, 2019

Just a part of today's ride. A short ride through a very rural part of Kentucky and crossing the Ohio and then the Mississippi rivers on US 61 in to Missouri. According to the map the two rivers join at East Cairo, KY (where the video was taken). The first bridge is across the Ohio River. The view crossing the Mississippi from the bridge was just the bridge so I did not include it. I think the technical term is the "confluence or the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, which thenbecomes the Mississippi.

Tried to take the ferry across the Mississippi at Hickman, KY but it was flooded out. Never thought to check since a very usually has a dock but in this case the ferry access road is now below the water. Lots of water in Kentucky. Been that way for several months a local in Hickman told us.

#14 · (Edited)
Todays Ride April 24, 2019

Just a part of today's ride. A short ride through a very rural part of Kentucky and crossing the Ohio and then the Mississippi rivers on US 61 in to Missouri. According to the map the two rivers join at East Cairo, KY (where the video was taken). The first bridge is across the Ohio River. The view crossing the Mississippi from the bridge was just the bridge so I did not include it. I think the technical term is the "confluence or the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, which thenbecomes the Mississippi.

https://youtu.be/RBXWP-0dcj0

Tried to take the ferry across the Mississippi at Hickman, KY but it was flooded out. Never thought to check since a very usually has a dock but in this case the ferry access road is now below the water. Lots of water in Kentucky. Been that way for several months a local in Hickman told us.
I just rode through there, going and coming from Roger's Ride. Saw quite a bit of water, but no flooding. I believe Cairo is in IL instead of KY, but could be mistaken. At 9:41 in your video you can see the small IL sign on the bridge. But total distance in IL is maybe a mile, exiting KY into IL, then entering MO from IL.

#15 ·
Nice Videos, In that earlier post, where you showed the camera, you might benefit if you could move the camera inboard of the turn signal. There my be a dead space there.
I'm not sure if that is vibration or a kind of false framing effect, caused by differences in light levels. It seems worse when the road is shadowed or changes from light to dark.

#16 ·
Those last two videos were taken with the camera mounted under the nose of the bike. Some of the changes are do to reflections I suspect.

And thanks for the complement. The way the camera is mounted and used it runs about two hours unless I turn it off so it gets some stuff that is dull. Like the interstate today and yesterday.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Yesterday's ride, Blue Ridge Parkway to Blowing Rock. Note wildlife at the end of the video.

Note: The video quality is not very good, I just noted. It took about 12 hours to upload from our hotel in Blowing Rock. I will endeavor to see if I can upload a better version or make some changes in my Youtube settings.

#22 ·
Todays Ride June 20th. Ride from Alliance, OH to Hammondsport, NY. The video starts in PA on US 62/PA 8, goes through Oil City, PA, and ends with some rain. Part of the video was traveling through Allegheny National Forest in PA. There was a road closure on US 62, so because of that and the rain we took the interstate of the last 80 miles of the day. Actually no rain on the interstate

#27 ·
Todays Ride June 23

Parts 1 and 2.

Leaving Manchester, VT on Route 7 and then onto New York on Route 7 crossing Tomhannock Reservoir, Hudson River at Green Island

Traveling Route 30 South through New York, Old Blenheim Bridge, traveling along the Pepacton Reservoir on the edge of the Catskill Forest Preserve (its on the left as you travel south).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.