GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.......I just went thought most of the pass thread about toe/heel shifter and didn't find it and got tired too. So.....who has the toe/heel shifter and how do ya like it? What I'm woundering is that you can shift with the heel too hard and not realizing it and damage the transmisson, and that can be big bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine came with the bike and I really like it. Only thing is that when I put the kick stand down I have to be care full not to hit the heel part of the shifter when it is running. So far I can't see where it will damage the transmission if used correctly, but then that is only my humble opinion.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I can remember the days when a lot of bikes came with heel/toe shifters on them. Especially the European bikes. I even had a couple of Ducatis that had them. They have pretty much all gone by the wayside do mainly because just a toe shifter is cleaner and the trannys have gotten easier to shift.

I got used to having to shift it that way because that is how it came, but would not want to have to go back to it. But there is a lot of things that I would not like to have to go back to for that matter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
toe-heel shifter

started with regular shifter and went to toe-heel when I started having problems getting my toe under the shifter. The only problem I have is shifting fully.. I tend to shift too lightly and miss the gear.

I don't want to go back to toe shifting.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My two wheel Suzuki had heel/toe shifting and loved it.When I bought my trike and it was already installed I was (am) quite happy.

Borrowed a friends bike the other day without a toe shifter, and had to think what to do. Old story. You like what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Like American Express.... Don't leave home without them. I love mine. Don't have a clue as to how a toe/heel shifter would damage a tranmission????????????

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have got the heel / toe shifter on both my wings, & would never go back to toe shifter only ever. Just having that driver's board is so much nicer, plus the duel point shifter is a lot easier on your foot. You only need to lightly press the lever, front or back. Never stand on the lever, or pound on it, as that would be the way wreak the transmission, over time.

Ride safe

·
Banned
939 Posts
Ok.......I just went thought most of the pass thread about toe/heel shifter and didn't find it and got tired too. So.....who has the toe/heel shifter and how do ya like it? What I'm woundering is that you can shift with the heel too hard and not realizing it and damage the transmisson, and that can be big bucks.
It's a developed taste. If you have been with the toe shift only all your riding you will have to devolved a new dance step. But you don't have to use it. Can always just use your toe.

My only complaints with heel is sometimes I feel caged in with my foot when I am tapping along to some tunes or just pounding my feet on the boards or standing up on the boards to shake out a few hundred miles now and then.

It is cool to shift up with pushing your heel down while going from 2nd to warp merging speed though. Has a nice groove to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts