GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was outside doing a little servicing on the wing today. Oil/filter changed, clutch fluid change and tomorrow engine coolant and brake fluid change. But anyway on to my question.

While the lower cowl is off I decided to pull the toe warmer lever and low and behold the doors wouldn't open. I suspect the cable is corroded at the door end. Upper cable down to where it breaks out to each door is fine. The cables to each door don't appear to be moving and releasing the doors. Checked our sponsors parts IPB and that doesn't show much in the way of detail.

Anyone else had this type of problem and know of an easy and quick fix.

By the way this is an 07 level 3 bike.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck Gunter

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Does the control lever on top have any feel of resistance or does it just flop easily? Did someone forget to re-connect it after some work maybe?

·
Registered
507 Posts
There is a connection under the lower fairing. I moved the top lever with the shelter off during an air filter change and it disconnected. After I put the shelter back on the doors would not open. I had to re-connect the cable under the lower fairing. There is also an adjuster where it connect under the lower fairing. You might check there. Pat

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Found the problem. The two smaller cables which attach to the doors are not moving freely in their housing. Tried lubing with WD40, but they still don't move freely enough for the spring loaded doors to open. Don't know what could have caused this. Didn't see or feel any corosion on the cables. Guess a new cable is in order. :eek:4:But not till it is really needed.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Go back to the scene of the crime

I JUST DID AN OIL CHANGE AND THE CABLE THAT POWERS THE DOORS SWEEPS
around the oil filter. I can see very easily if you trap the cable on the wrong side or on top of the filter it will bind. And you posted that you did an oil change. Did you trap the cable?

·
Registered
396 Posts
My fix

I had a similar problem after I was doing some maintenance. I had reattached the cable to the lever under the left pocket, but I didn't hook the little green plastic piece into the holder. When I would flip the cable, it would just move with the lever rather than extend the cable.

Just one of those "duh" moments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cable wasn't trapped or pulled. If you slide the protective boot down where the two cables come off of the main cable, you can see a plastic enclosure. By pulling on the end with the two cables it will separate from the housing. If you have the selector slid to wards open you can see both of the door cables. They are slack in this housing, but tight at the ends by the doors. Thought about separating the adjusters and trying to lube from that point. Still may try as I am taking my time and doing a bunch of the small stuff that I had neglected. I am slowly getting ahead of all the general maintenance work. Then a good cleaning and rub down. Should make it and me feel good.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
OMG! Don't ride that thing with the toe heater not working! Your toes will get frost bite and fall off, or the engine is sure to blow up if you don't fix it right away!

<just yucking around>

Glad to hear someone frets with little stuff and fixes them instead of just putting up with them like I do. I know you will feel better knowing everything is ship shape and working properly. Ride safe, ride often, and enjoy what nature has to offer us out in the fresh air.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts