GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Oklahoma guys and gals! I'm possibly going to be running eastbound on I-40 with a final destination of Eureka Springs next month. It looks like my options at OKC are to catch the Turner Turnpike from OKC to Tulsa and then US 412 and the Cherokee Turnpike to the Arkansas line OR stay on I-40 through OKC and turn north somewhere around Sallisaw (US 59) picking up US 412 again at Siloam Springs. Will the turnpikes save me some time? By the time I get to OKC I will be a little over half way through a 600+ mile day. TIA for any input.

Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mike, the Turner Turnpike will certainly save you time on your trip. I don't recall exactly what the fare is but I think it's probably around $4.00 for (2) axle vehicles. If you elect to stay off of the turnpike, you could take Route 66. I recommend using the turnpikes in Oklahoma if you're trying to get to your destination in the shortest amount of time. Eureka Springs is about 165 from Tulsa. It's a good ride too!

Kevin

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the info.

Mike

·
Registered
370 Posts
I will agree with Kevin that if your goal is Point A to Point B with shortest time possible, take the turnpike to Tulsa. Then take 412 east into Arkansas. Next time you come thru, take the 2 lane roads and see some of our state.

Enjoy your trip.

Shu

·
Registered
96 Posts
My .02¢

If your not pressed for time, I would take I40 to route 23 (near Ozark, Arkansas), then take 23 north all the way to Eureka Springs. A beautiful ride through the Ozark National Forest.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Shu and Blue. This time I will be pressed for time so Im thinking the turnpikes might be the best option. Blue, I did ride 23 from Eureka Springs to Boothe and then 71 to Mena and up and over the Talimena a couple of years ago. I might do it again this year on my return as the Talimena was socked in with low cloud cover and visibility was poor. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've done all those, and hwy 7 from Harrison ( near Eureka) to Hot Springs is another favorite of ours. But definitely do Talimena if it's a clear day. Great views.
Ride Safe!

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you are going to ride our state often enough, one trip traveling both ways is enough for me....

PikePass will let you ride past the Toll Booths at 70 mph and that can save 10 minutes or more at peak rush hours.... plus you don't have to try and dig up Exact Change while sitting a Deluge of a Rain like my buddy did on our last trip.... me? I zipped in the outside lane and had to sit "in the rain" while he finally got some quarters out.

PikePass is now working in parts of Texas and Kansas.... they are trying to get it nation wide.
I can ride thru the Dallas toll roads now w/o stopping......

https://www.pikepass.com/

·
Registered
567 Posts
let us know, or give me a PM, and I will try to ride along side you for a lot of Oklahoma..... :joke:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts