GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a per axle charge if I'm pulling a single axle trailer through Chicago toll ways this fall on my way south?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes. And here's the stinker part. If you are a car/suv/pick-up or motorcycle, and you are pulling a 1 or 2 axle trailer, you are charged the MEDIUM TRUCK RATE!

Your toll effectively doubles for pulling that trailer.

You can find more info here >>IL TOLLWAY<< and scroll to the bottom.

Vehicle Category Description
Passenger Cars Auto/Motorcycle 2 axles - four or less tires; auto, SUV, motorcycle, taxi

Commercial Vehicles
and Vehicles with Trailers

Small Truck 2 axles - six tires; single unit truck, buses
Medium Truck 3 and 4 axles vehicle or combination; truck, bus, auto/SUV with 1 or 2 axle trailer
Large Truck 5+ axles vehicle or combination; trucks, auto/SUV with 3+ axle trailer

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes they will hit you for a 3rd axle. If you have I-pass or Easypass the fee will be 1/2 price. They double the fee for anyone without these passes.

Got to love this wonderful state. :mad1:

I can't wait to retire and leave this state. This state charges you for everything and is still broke. Hell they even write you an IOU if you win IL Lottery over $600.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Buried in this site, is a virtual tollway cost program. Click >>ME<< to use it. This is only for the Illinois tollway. There are other links for the complete toll system, out there in cyberspace.

You right click on the map, where you will be entering the tollway, click the "enter" icon. Then repeat for where you will exit the tollway. And place the "exit" icon. You then select the proper class of toll that you will be paying, i.e., car, or one of the 3 truck classes. And it will give you your cash or I-Pass cost for the tollway.

Those that use the electronic toll pass essentially pay HALF of the cash toll, because it's electronic. And you don't need a tollway employee to take your cash. But be warned, make sure your toll pass is classified correctly. If you get a car/motorcycle electronic pass, don't try to use it in another vehicle with a different class. They do take pictures of you, and verify the correct toll class is taken. And the fines are stiff.

I use the tollway nightly, so I know a lot of this info. Also, there is a non-peak discount. By using the tollway late evening/early morning, you avoid the "commuters rush" surcharge.

Hope this all helps! :thumbup:

The Peak time is 6am to 10pm. And the discount is 10pm to 6am.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Well, I have to disagree. I have a copy of a letter sent to a forum member from the tollway authority on tollway letterhead that answers this specific question regarding a motorcycle pulling a trailer, and they said that the trailer behind a motorcycle does NOT get charged. It was posted somewhere on this forum along with a .PDF copy of the letter. I printed out a copy and keep it on the bike.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, I have to disagree. I have a copy of a letter sent to a forum member from the tollway authority on tollway letterhead that answers this specific question regarding a motorcycle pulling a trailer, and they said that the trailer behind a motorcycle does NOT get charged. It was posted somewhere on this forum along with a .PDF copy of the letter. I printed out a copy and keep it on the bike.
Thank you, for making me do more research. I'm not kidding, I do appreciate it.

I researched that PDF letter, which is >>HERE<< in post #33, and noticed it is dated 2005! :eek:4:

The link I provided is dated Toll Rates as of 2015. That letter is no longer valid.

The tollway authority will occasionally shut down the ORT (Open Road Tolling) Lanes, and force everyone thru the cashbox. Want to know why? Because they are checking your transponder! They want to see if you have the correct one, and are paying your fair share. And guess what the fines are if you are caught? Well, don't guess, I'd have to research that too.

Anyways, what some people do is have 2 transponders. One as a car only (motorcycle is same rate) and then a 2nd one that is rated for the extra axles for when they pull their trailer.

But, I'm getting off subject. That letter is 10 years old, and the rates have gone up several times, as well as reclassifying how they charge tolls. A motorcycle trailer will be charged for the extra axle.

Hope this helps! :yes1:

·
Registered
466 Posts
toll road and pulling trailer with bike

I have that letter and posted it years ago. i contacted the toll way many years ago to get the correct answer from the horses mouth. No charge for the trailer when towed behind a motorcycle,express lanes or manual.

Billy

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I have that letter and posted it years ago. i contacted the toll way many years ago to get the correct answer from the horses mouth. No charge for the trailer when towed behind a motorcycle,express lanes or manual.

Billy
OK folks here's the OFFICIAL RESPONSE from the Illinois Tollway....drum roll please...........................:laugh:
Rover, Timothy <[email protected]>

Today at 1:42 PM To
Message body
Thank you for contacting the Illinois Tollway regarding your concern. Any vehicle or vehicle combination on the Tollway with 2 axles and 4 tires or less is charged as a passenger vehicle. Anything greater than this will be charged a higher rate. If a motorcycle is pulling a trailer, the vehicle combination is now more than 2 axles, and will be charged as a larger vehicle.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

Timothy Rover
IPASS Customer Service Manager

Well, now that changes everything........NOT. They're still a bunch of ....well, Really? a motorcycle pays the same as a F550 TOWING A HOUSE? :evil:
Figures.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
We went out to Pa last year on our Trike pulling our cargo trailer.
Left Wis and then on to the toll way in Il, In, Oh, Pa.
I put $30 in my I-Pass. Out and back and I still had $10 left in it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You'd think the AMA or some other organization would go to bat for motorcycles on toll roads. We pulled a tent-trailer through Florida and paid through the nose compared to the cars.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
For what it's worth, I have an I-Way EZ pass. I have found that traveling the I-way with my trailer and using the auto-sensor lanes - I don't recall getting charged for the trailer. I know I would be if I stopped at the manned toll booths.

It's my belief the system and checkers worry about cars - the bike falls under the radar. Just my opinion - but I don't seem to get overly charged.

For info - last I checked the I-Way EZ pass is the only one that currently doesn't charge a yearly user's fee. There were many states that didn't, and those users are grandfathered, but newer purchasers have to pay.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been nailed with my car pulling a single axle trailer and with my bike pulling my little cargo trailer. 3 axles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts

In Chicago, paper proof means nothing. Run that combination through the gates and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Illinois Toll Road I-Pass towing trailer

Just got back from a trip to Johnson City, Tn. Went with several other Wings all towing various makes and models of trailers. WE all used on -ramp I-Pass and automatic lanes both going and coming back. Went thru Toll Plazas from North of O'Hare Airport to the I-80/94 split.

The charge on my toll e-z pass account as of Sunday morning shows I paid $ o.75 for each toll. I was not charged for the trailer. Called the other Wingers, they checked there accounts, they to were charged $ 0.75 each toll.

Get the I-pass and use the ez=pass lanes and save some money!
Billy

All the toll

1 - 17 of 17 Posts