GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
So sorry to hear of Tom’s passing. He will be sorely missed...

:crying:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure. Those of you fortunate enough to have known him now will keep him in your treasure box of good memories, for sure. Peace and grace to his family during this time. God speed Tom, God speed.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I just now got the call that I’ve been expecting, yet dreading. Tom’s daughter Terrie Parsons called to say that Tom finally let go and went home this morning.
A memorial service will be held in a few weeks in San Antonio. Terrie had already held the big “Celebration of Life” for Tom at the big BBQ event at the park in San Antonio a couple of months ago. Many of you attended that event and were able to say your goodbyes to Tom. I’ll post the details about the final memorial service at a later time.

The world lost a great man today. He will be missed. GLEN KENNEY Today, 09:13 AM
Tom finch will live on this site forever. So wonderful to have spoke with him. God bless you tom and thank you.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have never met Tom but from his post on the board, he gave so much to the motorcycle world and he will be missed. Losing a love, one is very hard, I will keep Tom’s family in my prayers. Tom is resting in God’s loving arms.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
RIP Tom to one of the good guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom has already posted on Heavens bulletin board that he will be giving a class on motorcycle trailers and the proper towing of them and everyone is welcome to attend. You will definitely be missed on the forum but we will never forget what you taught us.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I will miss Tom more than I can express in a short post. He was like a father to me. He taught me the right way to perform mechanical work, the proper tools to use, and why it was important to do it the right way. He was a gentle man, always willing to share his wisdom without making you feel ignorant or subordinate. Tom was a man who lived by high principles. He never drank alcohol or smoked a cigarette, but he never had any disrespect for those that did. I never heard him utter a cross word or share an off color story. He respected everyone and was honest to a fault. Although some thought Tom was a rich man due to his exclusive trailer business, the truth is he never operated the trailer business in the black. Money was not important to him and, as a result, he lived an austere life. For Tom, wealth was measured by the number of friends one had, and in that sense, he was very wealthy. So long for now Tom, I look forward to riding with you again.

·
Administrator
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Tom Finch has passed away

Tom Finch lost his lengthy battle with liver cancer at 6:15 AM Tuesday December 24 at his home in Spring Branch, Texas. During Tom’s last couple of months a great many of his friends and family from near and far spent a lot of time with Tom, and he greatly appreciated the friendship from all his many friends.

Many members of this board had attended Tom’s “Celebration of Life” barbecue gathering at the Pavilion in San Antonio on August 10. His daughter Terrie Parsons and the rest of his family had decided to hold this event for Tom so that his many friends could come see Tom while he was still strong enough to enjoy and respond to the friendship. Tom rode his motorcycle to this event, but the day took its’ toll of his strength and he was unable to ride it home. It turns out that this was the last day Tom was able to ride his motorcycle.

Tom was, and is, one of the most revered men that mere mortals as myself will ever know. He left his mark in the aviation world with several patents in streamlining. His passion for traveling by motorcycle resulted in him building the Tailwind motorcycle cargo trailer, which is unquestionably the finest trailer ever made.

Tom was a true Southern Gentleman. I cannot say enough good things about his manners, his honesty, his conduct, and the general way he treated people. Never did I ever hear him say one single word that wouldn’t be welcome in church. Now that I think about it, he is the only man I’ve ever known who never said any 4-letter word, or made derogatory statements about others. If pressed, he might correct an untrue statement about some engineering principle, but he would do so in a kind manner.

He was a smart, self-educated man who enjoyed imparting his knowledge. I recall spending countless hours reading his posts and studying at the knees of Tom Finch. He had a way of teaching in a manner that I could understand.

I, along with hundreds of others, will remember Tom fondly. The world lost a great man! We will miss Tom.

Terrie will hold a memorial get-together for Tom at a chapel in San Antonio in a few weeks. I will post the information when it becomes available.

Now, I originally hesitated to post this here in this forum, for the announcement about Tom’s passing is already posted in two more places on the forum. However, this is the correct place for this information.
Moderators, I would hate to lose the posts and information that others have already made in the other two posts. If there is some way that those posts could be merged into this one so that all the responses are here, we would greatly appreciate it.

·
Administrator
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I've added a post about Tom in the "In Memoriam" section of this board, for in reality, that is where it belongs. Please add any additional comments to that post.

Moderators, would it be possible to merge the posts so that w do not lose the thoughts that people have expressed? Thank you all so much.

Admin Note:

Glockjock, I think we have all the posts regarding Tom's passing merged into this thread. We will look for any that may have been missed and move them here.

MM

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
RIP in Peace Tom. May God give comfort to your family.

·
Registered
921 Posts
May you rest in peace, Tom. Although I never got to meet you, we had some nice talks on here. Ride the heavens as you rode the roads down here. Deepest condolences to your family..

41 - 60 of 80 Posts