GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom Finch, who is a dear friend both to me and to so many of you has had some pretty bad health issues this last year and I've been very concerned about him. Tom once again proved that he is a tough old bird, and left his home in Spring Branch just outside San Antonio yesterday headed to Florida!

He got sidelined right after he left the chute when his TPMS went off, and Tom had to have a new rear tire installed in New Braunfels. He is a big proponent of the 70-series tire but had to settle for a 60-series tire to get back on the road. Tom has always called the 60-series tire a "little scooter" tire, and now he has one. When you see Tom, be sure and mention the funny looking little scooter tire on his bike!

Tom spend the night at my house, and we had a great visit. We shared coffee and oatmeal this morning before he got back on the road to Ocala, Florida. He's visiting a Goldwing friend Mike Seely (not on this board, but many of you know Mike for he attends my RTE) in Florida.

Tom is looking very good, and getting around very well. He's 82 years old but still rides his Wing like a man 20 years younger. Tom is a real role-models and one of my heroes! It did my heart good to see him. As he pulled out of the driveway it dawned on me too late that I spent so much time talking that I didn't get a picture. Anyway, I just wanted to give you a Tom Finch update!

Ride safe Tom!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
Thats nice to hear. I don't know Tom like some of you but I have met him twice once at Wing Ding and again at Cats Cade back in 06. I've always enjoyed his posts here over the years and I know he doesn't know me from Adam but I have thought of him many times this year wondering how he is doing...so nice to hear some good news for a change.

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear he is safely on his way. Thanks for the update.
Len, I asked Tom about you and Phyllis. He said he debated about heading back to your place with the tire, but he was closer to New Braunfels. I'm looking forward to seeing you in April!

Glen

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Keep on riding Tom.

Good Luck!

Donnie

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep on riding Tom.

Good Luck!

Donnie
I've been following your health issues too, and I'm glad to see that you too are making progress. Keep following your own advice, for it appears to be working well!

Glen

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
GLAD TOM ON THE ROAD . HOPE TO SEE HIM AGAIN NEXT MONTH . HE'S AN INSPIRATION TO "ALL" THAT LOVE TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE ! ALWAYS HAS SOME GOOD MEMORYS TO SHARE ! :serious::smile2:

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I've only met Mr Finch at Glenn"s and read his posts on here but he sure is a class act!
:agree: I met Tom last year at Glenn's.

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tom left my house at 8:15 AM today. As of right now at 6:15 PM, or 10 hours later he is making great time and is not too far from Tallahassee for about 670 miles today. By sheer coincidence our buddy Jeff Head (3 Eagles from Alabama) had ridden to Key West just on a whim, and is right now in Tallahassee for the night. I love having access to their Spot trackers so I can keep tabs on my friends! Tom and Jeff will visit tonight and reminisce for a while before they go their separate ways tomorrow morning.

Is this good luck, or what!!

Glen

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Glad to hear the good news about Tom. I have thought of him frequently over the past couple years. I was fortunate to have spent some time with Tom that I fiew as a great privilege. I sure hope my path crosses with his in the future. Great guy, Great stories. Great attitude.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Glen, thanks for the updates!! I assume he will be at your place on the 27th. Also, Mr Head? Mr Harmon? Cycledude? Mike Seely? Time to put up a list. ?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glen, thanks for the updates!! I assume he will be at your place on the 27th. Also, Mr Head? Mr Harmon? Cycledude? Mike Seely? Time to put up a list. ?
I will put up a list tomorrow in my RTE post of those who have formally responded. So far, it is looking light, but there are several people that we know always come and we just know they'll be here. I just hope the possible lack of motel rooms is not keeping people away!

Glen

Reactions: cycledude and Pooch

·
Registered
387 Posts
Happy to hear Tom is up and riding again. I use to work for Tom when he started a powered wheel chair company, with his son's Jimmy and Tommy. Great people. I never saw Tom not on his Goldwing pulling a trailer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts