GL1800Riders Forums banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Crazy Northerner
8,616 Posts
I met Tom many years ago. Smart man who really was passionate about what he was doing. Had a few interesting conversations with him. May God give you peace Tom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Glen, thank-you for your heartfelt post. I visited with Tom the other day and we had some good laughs. It amazes me that his main concern is still for others. Tom is not one to drown in his sorrows but instead he continues to be an example to all of us of pure grace and humility. I feel very fortunate to be able to call Tom a friend and can only hope to learn from his example.

To you Tom-As we discussed, you are going to a place where you will see those who you have loved and lost. Thank-you for being such a kind friend to so many people in this world, for your unselfish manner of educating us in so many ways, and thank-you for your marvelous tailwind invention. You are the best.
To the GW community-Thank-you for your many responses and well wishes to Tom. He told me how much he appreciated all of your support.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Sorry to hear this Glen. Give Tom our best when you see him and tell him that he is in our thoughts and prayers. This world has been a much better place because of Tom Finch and others like him who proudly give without asking anything in return. We all know that Tom is still fighting, but we also know the day will come. Please keep us posted on his status.

Keith
I guess ost is a great truck stop place for breakfast. Its always best a early morning cool, brisk but not too brisk ride to breakfast Tom finch is in my thoughts every time I hit this board. I have to go right now I checked my home security cameras and didn't see girl friends car. I text her and asked her to confirm it was her (what was
The last nice thing I did for her) while I was replying here a text came across my photo ( in 2014) that's all I seen lol

·
SuperModerator
3,338 Posts
Tailwind Owners Group, or Tom Finch’s Legacy

I’m not sure how to ask this, or even if this is the right place, so I’m also cross-posting on the Trailer sub-board and on the Tom Finch thread. Mods, if this is out of place please feel free to move it.

Several of us, but especially 3Eagles and I, have been discussing a way to form a Tailwind Owners group. The Tailwind has been Tom Finch’s labor of love for approximately 15 or more years and nothing would please him more than to know that “his children” are being well cared-for.

So, we’re wondering if there is any interest in forming a Tailwind Owners Group (a more catchy name would also be nice). We could help share information on spare or replacement parts lists, and maintenance tips. Maybe an occasional get-together, such as Tom used to do with his annual TTT, or Tailwind Terrestrial Tour, during which he would try to get a bunch of Tailwind owners together.

If there is any interest, how to communicate? Subgroup on the board? E-mail? I’m open to suggestions. I do know this has Tom’s blessing for we’ve discussed it so I feel it is appropriate to ask the question here.

So, I’m running this up the flagpole to see if anybody salutes it. Comments?

Glen

·
SuperModerator
3,338 Posts
A simple comment...

Where a significant percentage of Tailwind owners might be Goldwing owners/riders, there may be many more that are not.

This, may take a multitude of avenues to contact owners... including social media such as Facebook.
Totally agree Ken. This forum is just one of the ways, as a great many of the owners frequent this forum. I also have e-mails for a bunch of the owners, and also a lot of Tailwind owners show up my annual Glockjock RTE. I'd like to gauge the interest of the large number of people here first.

Glen

·
IronMan
17,136 Posts
Is there someone in office familar with sales and records of who bought a tailwind ? T0 help find owners ? Any update on tom ?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is there someone in office familar with sales and records of who bought a tailwind ?
John, I have a copy of Tom's spreadsheet, and am working to update contact information. Tom has expressed his interest, and Glen (and others) is doing a great initial job to make sure the idea doesn't wither on the vine. We are just throwing a lot out there to get the noise level up, so that interested people may be able to provide updated info on owners.

Ride Safe,
Jeff

·
SuperModerator
3,338 Posts
Saturday, November 9, I rode with my friends Jeff Head (3 Eagles) and Mike Seely over to Spring Branch, TX (just outside of San Antonio) to see Tom Finch. Tom has been and remains one of the finest friends and role models I ever hope to have. Tom’s many friends wish to honor him every chance we get.

Jeff lives near Piedmont AL, and rode 620 miles to my home Friday. Mike lives near Ocala, FL and rode 825 miles to my home, arriving after midnight Friday night. We all left my house about 5:30 AM Saturday and rode the relatively short 325 miles to Tom’s house. These two guys were willing to ride this far for a short visit, so that should tell you how much we think of Tom.

When we arrived at Tom’s house there were several of Tom’s local friends already there. We all had a nice visit for a few hours before Jeff and I had to leave, retracing our steps back to my house. Jeff spent the night at my house before leaving Sunday morning for Alabama. Mike stayed with Tom a couple more days.

I’ll post a few pictures of the gathering, for the benefit of the many people who know Tom. Just in case you don't know it, Tom Finch is the designer and manufacturer of the Tailwind trailer that I pull behind my motorcycle everywhere I go. It is unquestionably the finest cargo trailer ever made, and Tom is highly regarded in the motorcycle industry.

There were a few more whom are not in the pictures. Len and Phyllis Ellis, and Roger Werner and Louie Graham managed to elude the camera!

Attachments

141 - 160 of 181 Posts