GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone else on this board has noticed what I have about Tom Finch who makes and sells the Tailwind Trailer.

I have met and talked briefly to Tom a couple of times, once at last year's Cats-cade. I have read his posts on this forum for a couple of years now and I have noticed that he has never said a derogatory word against anyone or taken pot shots at his trailer making competition.

It's easy to bash your competition or someone with a different opinion when you are behind a keyboard. I've been tempted many times. Anyway, Tom, you're a class act..

I don't think John at Bustec does either, come to think of it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Tom,

Sounds like Trailsman is trying to get BROWNIE points :lol:

Both John and Tom are class acts - and their trailers are usually a solution to each their own riders.

It is nice to have interaction with the manufacturers as we are able to on this board with both of them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You are preaching to the chior. Anyone who has met Tom or is corider(wife) Janet know that they are a class act. The other manufacturers and distributors who are on the board never bash anyone elses products and have also have helped with wiring and such on other peoples products. The only real bashing that I have seen hear is about Harleys or their riders.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new jersey lefty said:
The only real bashing that I have seen hear is about Harleys or their riders.
You apparently don't watch the Car Tire on a Goldwing threads :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
258 Posts
class acts

Don't know Tom Finch, however, John Preston is certainly a first class gentleman. Tom will posts thousands of words and numerous photos plugging his trailer on simple posts re M/C trailers.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Did I just read something about car tires on a motorcycle? Why, that's the most.....

Just kidding! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Which is better, a motorcycle tire on a trailer or a trailer tire on a trailer?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Over the past couple of years, I have had the pleasure to pick Tom's brain and just have great general discussion with him.

Tom has become known by me as an intelligent, polite, Texas gentleman. Both Tom and his Wife are welcome at my home, anytime.

Wish Tom lived a couple thousand miles closer.

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Tom Finch...I live 15 miles from Tom, ride with him when he isn't showing or building trailers. I eat breakfast with Tom and other's each Sunday morning at the Old Spanish Trail (OST) cafe in Bandera, TX. He is a class act and a fun guy to talk to...knows a lot about a lot. Jan, always the lady, sits quitely while we talk motorcycles.... I do not own a trailer, but if I do, Tom will build it. His partner in crime, Stewart, who holds a dental degree and a Phd in Biomechanical Engineering and Tom being an aeronautical engineer get into some discussons that go on for twenty minutes and none of us know what they are talking about...it really get deep some times...ha ha Fun stuff.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
No doubt Tom is a class act. Most businessmen who want to get ahead have to be on Customer relation’s customer service side of the coin all the time to stay in the game. Tom however is a diff Apple; Being a Gentlemen is part of his natural being, It’s in his make up, maybe its in how he was raised, I have no idea but its genuine.

I’ve read complaints that his posts are long and he is always plugging his trailer. I don’t see it that way at all. I’ve watched him post with his knowledge and with pics of his trailers to people who have no intention of buying his rig and he knows that. Some may be buying a trailer that costs next to nothing or used. In the end the sharing of his knowledge helping that person make the best choice for them in buying the model of brand X Y or Z is a gift. Knowledge is power and Tom is always willing to share his vast knowledge, on this board or off no matter if it’s on motorcycles, trailers, aircraft or the overall importance of doohickeys.

I’d love to have the chance to spend an afternoon visiting with him. Even though I know full well much of the conversation will be over my head I also know I’ll walk away a smarter man, might even walk away a nicer one.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I just saw this thread. Wow! It is not even my birthday. Thanks for the kind comments. Now I will have to be really careful.

Did somebody say trailers?. I pulled my Escapade all day. I was going to loan it to Sheila while we are repairing her Tailwind, now that the insurance of the guy that hit her finally agreed to pay for the damage.

Sheila is on one of those ferrous posterior rides and I felt she needed my Tailwind worse than me. When I had a flat Sunday, we used the compressor in my demo Tailwind to fix my tire and she said she has never had a nail in a tire.

It is obvious that she is about five and a half nails behind, so I figured she will be the next to need the air setup, not me. Mine seems to be doing just fine on the plug we put in Sunday on that narrow high crowned road south of Willow City Loop and north of Stonewall.

I am trying to help her find a cooker that is more like 6 or 8 amps rather than 22 amps like she has. If anyone knows of a mini crock-pot or similar cooker that is more like 100 watts at 12 volts, please let Sheila or me know. Our wiring is good for 20 amps, but the bike alternator is 80 amps and 25% of the power just going to a cooker is not appropriate.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Tom Finch said:
I am trying to help her find a cooker that is more like 6 or 8 amps rather than 22 amps like she has. If anyone knows of a mini crock-pot or similar cooker that is more like 100 watts at 12 volts, please let Sheila or me know. Our wiring is good for 20 amps, but the bike alternator is 80 amps and 25% of the power just going to a cooker is not appropriate.
Tom-

Try looking in a well-stocked truckstop store. Flying-J or Petro, for example. They have a lot of different 12 volt appliances there.

And thanks for your kind replies to my questions regarding the Texas Hill Country last year. My wife and I stopped in Bandera last August and ate breakfast at the OST. Unfortunately we were in the cage and were too embarrased to give you a call ... :oops: Maybe next time we can plan a get-together and buy you breakfast. 8)

See you at Cats-Cade again this year?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
All Boots,

Although the core of the Bandera Sunday Morning OST breakfast club is motorcycling and motorcyclists, there are several who have moved to Bandera and most of them come in a car, especially if the weather is bad. I so wish that you had just come to see us at the long table, it would have been, and will be, fun no matter how you got there.

There have been times when my bike is the only one there. It is almost always the first one there.

I wish I coudl move to Bandera myself, although I doubt that I would take a cage unless I had a group to haul. It is really about the poeple, the bikes are the excuse to get together.

When the weather is good, we get good turnouts and take other tables beside the long table. Fred Harmon and Sheila are visitors from time to time and in the photo above, Fred is seen at his then new FJR and Sheila's rig is in the mix along with George Lewis Orange trike and a rig belonging to people that are life long residents of Medina, 12 miles up the road from Bandera.

As for Cats Cade, I really enjoyed seeing everyone at Cats Cade, particularly Bulldog and Meesh. I had never met Meesh beforer and it was no wonder why she was so popular among those from the year before. Bulldog reminds me of a big teddy bear.

The weather was so gooey, that normally it would cause one to say never again. However, it caused many to meet that might have otherwise been scattered to the winds, riding.

With the difficulty of catching up with trailer orders that we seem to be perpetually in, I may not get time to go to the New England events and Billings too. We will see. I do not get near enough time in the Rockies.

PS: Apparently the trucks have gobs of alternator power, because the one cooker that Sheila found at a Truck stop was 22 amps. That is a big load and most cars could not carry that.

I will try one though. There are some in our area.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Tom Finch said:
... I so wish that you had just come to see us at the long table, it would have been, and will be, fun no matter how you got there. ....
Sunday morning would have been nice, but we were still in Tombstone, AZ then, and didn't arrive in Bandera until Monday evening. We had dinner at Texaritas and stayed at the River Oak Inn. It was Tuesday morning we had breakfast at the OST. We visited Luckenbach and then headed east to enjoy a slow drive up the BRP toward home. It was a really great two week trip, but being on the Wing would have been even better. I'm good-to-go for long trips on the Wing, but my wife isn't, so the long trips out West have always been in the car. Maybe someday... :D

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
JokerGuy said:
Which is better, a motorcycle tire on a trailer or a trailer tire on a trailer?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only one motorcycle trailer manufacturer uses motorcycle tires on their motorcycle specific trailers. For some reason this is funny especially to the darksiders. I don't get it :shock:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I met Tom for the first time 1 year ago and found an immediate and sincere friend. Tom has a wealth of knowledge about the engineering aspects related to trailers and motorcycling and is constantly coming up with ideas for improvements and invovation. He just doesn't have the time to do everything that his fertile mind conjures up.

I hope that most of you will get the opportunity to make his acquiantance. I believe that you, like me, will have found a life-long friend. My only complaint is that he lives so far from me! I would enjoy sitting down and talking over a meal at least 1x/week.

Tom saved my bacon that first evening when we met. The trailer harness wiring was completely messed up. There was, literally, no wire that was correct. With Tom's expertise, we had all the tupperware off and got things sorted out in only a few hours of work. After that (close to midnight) he fed us supper and insisted on following us for about 30 miles to make sure we had no further problems.
People like Tom make motorcycling more enjoyable for all of us!

Tom, Thanks for being there!

Andy

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
There is a very strong sense of belonging within the community represented by the members of this message board.

There is also something about this trailer thing, that makes all the struggle to get the business going very worth while, and that is the long term friendships that are generated.

We still get Christmas cards from riders that we built trailers for in the seventies. Harold and Daphnie Kent got their Streamliner in 1975 and Hilmer and Betty Merz got theirs in 1974 and still we hear from them. I was eating at a Barbecue place in Wilson County a couple of years ago and was pulling my 1975 Streamliner. I heard someone say loudly "who is pulling that Tom Finch trailer out there?" Turned out that this fellow, Doc Harr, had bought a 1974 Streamliner from the widow of the original owner.

When Andy and Sally came down the driveway to our shop that night in March, I had no idea what a treat was in store for me in this first meeting. I had the feeling that (true confessions time) this minister who had asked me previously about the weight carrying capacity of the Wing, and had never pulled a trailer before, was going to be a concern when doing the tour the next day that I had invited him on. When someone that I had not met, asks about the Wing's weight carrying capacity, I had envisioned refriegerator Perry making feet on the ground turns.

Instead, here is this atheletic eager and capable rider and a very trim spouse that rode up out of the darkness. The first thing I noticed about Andy's bike was the innovative way he had his trailer socket mounted in the bottom of his trunk fairing.

We quickly plugged in his new Tailwind and nothing worked electrically. So I ran and got my bike and plugged his trailer in and it played as advertised.

I got out the Wing Maintenance manual and Andy started the disassembly while I made up a break out harness for the trailer plug that I had been needing to make all along.

We got into Andy's wiring when he dropped the bottom of the trunk fairing off. It is pretty hard to have 14 wiring errors in a 6 wire system, but the people that did this for Andy, managed.

While this little exercise was going on, we got to know Andy and Sally in a much better way than if everything had worked and they had left in a few minutes. I can not overstate the magnetism that this couple exude. If there was ever a fit between the profession and the prefessional, Andy and his calling is it with Sally as a strong backer.

It just happened that Andy and Sheila picked up their Tailwinds at the same time and so we had a very good couple of days as a threesome running around the area. It became immediately obvious that Andy was a very good rider and his first hundred miles of pulling a trailer were like it was his hundred thousandth. Sheila, of course alredy had two difficult to manage trailers to learn on with lots of miles on them and is an excellent rider, so the new trailer was like having no trailer to her.

I have to admit that there is a lot of comfort in finding that, although not as badly affected as I, there are others who are bitten by the motorcycle touring bug. I became infected, and then addicted, by accident.

As teens going to Junior High School and then High School, my brother that is just younger than me, and I were pretty much opposites. I have always been the ultra conservative. He was somewhat a rebel.

He wore DUCK TAILS!!!! Can you imagine that. Right there in Elvis Presley's era! When was he going to Hell? Just awful. Then he got a motorcycle. A very, very dangerous thing as we all knew from our parents. He was another step closer to hell. However, he was too young to have a drivers license and I had one at 14. So I rode his motorcycle (James) and he rode on the back.

Now that feeling, that feeling of handlebars and air in my face, that was not all bad. Maybe it was not a road to hell after all. My Brother? Well he entered a life of being an engraver, built and sold a business to retire on a farm near Crawford. His life long hobbies, carving and birds, merged and he has taken Best-In-World in competition for carving birds of prey in Baltimore. Has an old BSA 448 in his barn that has not been ridden in several decades. He has a wonderful, conservative life, and carves for hundreds of hours every month.

Here I sit, hopelessly addicted to riding two wheels, abeted by the luxury of the Wing and tens of thousands of Wing riders. I am so glad not to be alone. This thread has really helped and I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Only 982 miles from here to Bandera. Quite a trek for breakfast. Then again, it'd be breakfast with some friendly and interesting people.

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
If there were a GL1800 Hall of Fame- I am sure Tom Finch, LaMonster, Hal, Bulldog and a few others are deserving :1st:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts