GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Apologies if I'm out in left field here, I've only been paying half-awake attention to this thread. But in the case you decide to abandon the route or the track to head home quickly, why can't the "HOME" function just be used?
I pre-plan routes for multi day trips (typically 300 to 400 mile days) to remote areas where often reliable phone data and WiFi are not available. So I like to have pre-planned routes for each day downloaded and stored on my GPS.

Buy using Routes (.ITN files) the GPS gives me mileage between waypoints I defined which are often points I know have Food and Fuel. Using Tracks (.GPX files) the GPS will only give me distance from start to finish.

Also when in remote areas and I need to deviate left or right to avoid nasty weather it's nice to have a Route. I can quickly edit with a couple of new waypoints to get around the worst weather and still get to my destination.

So to answer your question, you are correct. Most people using a GPS are not doing the type of multi-day riding in remote areas that I am. So for most the ability to select "Home", "City A" or "City B" will meet their needs.

I'm beginning to realize that although the TomTom 550 is a motorcycle specific product, the TomTom online Route Planner is not. The Route Planner is really designed for automotive purposes in urban areas. Where you are using it to get from point A to point B and avoid heavy urban traffic which the Route Planner tracks in real time.

Main reason I'm posting on this subject is because it took me a long time to sort out Tracks, Routes and all the lingo. Hopefully my experience might help others to get through the learning curve faster than I did.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The syncing between TomTom's MyDrive Online Route Planner and TT 550 GPS via WiFi is fast. Downside others have noted is if you are at a hotel that requires you to accept "terms of conditions" you can't log on with the GPS since it doesn't have a web interface to do so.

I live in Springfield, IL and created a route in MyDrive Online starting in Red Oak, IA and going to Valentine, NE. No problem, easy interface. I can sync the Route to my 550 GPS but the Route is converted to a Track in the process which is not useful for reasons I mentioned earlier.

As an option I can open the route in MyDrive Online and select "send stops" which basically sends any user defined points along the Route to the 550 GPS. Problem is the GPS immediately starts to calculate a Route to the "start point" of the Route from wherever in the world you happen to be.

So when I select "send stops" to my 550 GPS from the Red Oak, IA to Valentine, NE Route, the GPS immediately calculates and connects from my physical location in Springfield, IL. So what I end up with is an editable Route between Springfield, IL and Valentine, NE. I can save this Route in "my routes" on the GPS but for some reason can't get rid of Springfield, IL as the starting point. Everything else along the Route I can edit.

TomTom's MyDrive Online Route Planner has some nice features and a few drawbacks if you are used to having more powerful editing tools as I am with a paid subscription to MyRouteApp. I really wanted to utilize the 550's WiFi capability but realize now that may be a hit or miss connection while on the road unless you carry a dedicated Hot-Spot or have Hot-Spot on your phone.

MyRouteApp makes it easy to transfer actual Routes (.ITN files) from the cloud to my Chromebook or Android Phone and from there to my 550 GPS via USB cable. MyRouteApp allows me to load all the pre-planned Routes I need for a given trip so the need to download additional Routes while on the road is minimal anyway. Carry the USB cable just in case.

One big advantage to MyRouteApp (Gold) is it allows you to plan a route in Google Maps with all the search features for finding hotels, restaurants, local attractions, Satellite view etc. Once done you simply save the Route as a .ITN file, the conversion is seamless.

Just trying to pass along the differences I see between the two Online Route Planners.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks for the link for the Tomtom forum. Also, I'll have to check Myroute app a bit more....

I don't mind using a cable instead of wifi to transfer my routes if that's gonna give me more options to re-route and also use Google maps for planning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the link for the Tomtom forum. Also, I'll have to check Myroute app a bit more....

I don't mind using a cable instead of wifi to transfer my routes if that's gonna give me more options to re-route and also use Google maps for planning.

Last couple of days I've been playing with TomTom's MyDrive and Honda's route planners and am gaining a lot more appreciation for the capabilities of MyRouteApp.

Initially I thought I really wanted the ability to transfer routes via WiFi to my 550 but there is a weakness to that approach (the GPS has to have a WiFi connection available to it). Using a USB cable means you can download Routes as long as your phone has a Data or WiFi connection.

I started this thread which might be of interest: Cloud Based GPS Route Planning:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have been spending more time with TomTom MyDrive route planner. If you are leaving from your current location it works well. Sending destinations to the 550 from my Android phone or Chromebook takes only a couple of seconds to transfer via WiFi. MyDrive is geared towards routing you from Point A (your current location) to Point B (where you want to go right now).

Creating a route and syncing it as a Track (.GPX) to the 550 is just as seamless. It looks like when following a Track the GPS gives verbal indication of how far ahead the next turn is but no visual indication of distance to next turn on the screen. Have not been able to ride and test a Track to confirm, so far I have just "Played Track Preview" sitting in my living room.

Have been creating some Test Routes (.ITN) on MyDrive. If your route has three or more points you can use the "Send Points" feature and it will load these points via Wifi to the 550 immediately as a Route (.ITN). Advantages of Routes over Tracks include:
  • Routes can be edited on the GPS 550 as might be required.
  • If you inadvertently leave the Route, the 550 will recalculate and guide you back to the route.
  • The 550 gives you an indication on the screen of distance to next turn.
  • When pared to a phone, traffic information is displayed on the 550 screen.
When planning a route in MyDrive the planner has "Fastest" and "Thrill" options. Under "Fastest", the planner offers 3 possible routes and you select the one you want. Under "Thrill", the planner offers 1 winding route. In either case, if you want the MyDrive Planner to transfer your preferred route exactly as shown on the Planner then you have to select "Sync this Route as a Track with your device". Again, the transfer is fast and seamless but without advantages of Routes mentioned above.

Bottom line is I'm going to have to ride a few Tracks (.GPX) this Spring to get a better feel for how they stack up compared to Routes (.ITN).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looks like I have to amend some of my earlier statements in post #27. The last day or so is the first I've spent time with Tracks on the TomTom 550. Have not actually been out on the bike but have been using the "Play Track Preview" feature on the GPS which simulates the GPS moving along the Track.

Using the TomTom MyDrive Route Planner you build a route and select "sync this route as a track with my device" as you save the route. The route is immediately available on the TomTom 550 (via WiFi) as a track which is very seamless. To load the track, from the GPS screen, select "Menu" + "My Routes" and select the desired track and it will come up on the screen. Be sure to select "Ride" from the main screen + "Menu" + "Current Track" + "Play Track Preview". As the Preview plays it will display distance to the next turn and the road name. If you fail to select "Ride" before selecting "Play Track Preview" the preview will not display distance to next turn, don't ask me why.

I also see with a track loaded, if you select "Menu" + "Current Track" you have the option to select "Ride to Track". I'm assuming if you miss a turn or get diverted off the track due to construction you can select "Ride to Track" and the GPS will calculate how to get to the closest point along the track? The GPS doesn't automatically recalculate as it does with routes but you can manually ask the GPS to get you back to the track by selecting "Menu" + "Current Track" + "Ride to Track".

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Looks like I have to amend some of my earlier statements in post #27. The last day or so is the first I've spent time with Tracks on the TomTom 550. Have not actually been out on the bike but have been using the "Play Track Preview" feature on the GPS which simulates the GPS moving along the Track.

Using the TomTom MyDrive Route Planner you build a route and select "sync this route as a track with my device" as you save the route. The route is immediately available on the TomTom 550 (via WiFi) as a track which is very seamless. To load the track, from the GPS screen, select "Menu" + "My Routes" and select the desired track and it will come up on the screen. Be sure to select "Ride" from the main screen + "Menu" + "Current Track" + "Play Track Preview". As the Preview plays it will display distance to the next turn and the road name. If you fail to select "Ride" before selecting "Play Track Preview" the preview will not display distance to next turn, don't ask me why.

I also see with a track loaded, if you select "Menu" + "Current Track" you have the option to select "Ride to Track". I'm assuming if you miss a turn or get diverted off the track due to construction you can select "Ride to Track" and the GPS will calculate how to get to the closest point along the track? The GPS doesn't automatically recalculate as it does with routes but you can manually ask the GPS to get you back to the track by selecting "Menu" + "Current Track" + "Ride to Track".
It looks like we'll know a whole lot more when you try it in real life, on the bike, following the track that's transferred from MyRoute.

Please keep us posted. Due to the new circumstances (coronavirus) my Tomtom 550 is still in the box.... Plan is to ride to a buddy of mine in PA in the first half of April to hardwire it to the bike....but I guess we'll see if the trip happens...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts