GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using Tomtom Rider 550 GPS? Would you please share your experience with it? How do you like it? Any issues? Does it stay connected with other bluetooth devices (phone, Sena,...)?
Your thoughts about the features (curvy road option, using Mydrive app for route planning, transferring routes to the unit,...)...
Thank you for your time. Truly appreciate it since I'm seriously considering Rider 550 solely based on the option for planning a route on their app (laptop or phone) and wirelessly transferring it to the unit on the bike - but transfering the route EXACTLY AS I PLANNED IT.

Tired on planning a route, than transferring it to factory GPS only to find out that factory GPS re-route my plan based on it's algorithms, ignoring my preferences and just "connecting the dots"...

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
I do quite a bit of long distance riding and often want to ride specific roads so pre-planning my route is a requirement. Used Garmin for years and getting the GPS to go where you want could be challenging. Garmin's map updates are why I switched to TomTom. On two different Garmins I purchased map updates online. Garmin took my money and during the download I was informed my GPS had insufficient memory to load the entire map. Only option was to load East or West US which was not a lot of use to me since I live in the Midwest.

TomTom has free map updates for the life of the unit which has worked out well. Map updates do take a couple hours to download on my 6 Mb WiFi. So you will probably want to update the map at home before you leave and not rely on hotel WiFi for updates. I've always found their maps to be very accurate.

The unit is the perfect size IMO. Easy to carry into a restaurant to view the route ahead and easy to store in a bike. The touchscreen zooms, pans and refreshes very quickly so it's easy to edit a route on the fly. Screen is easy to read in direct sunlight.

When connected via Bluetooth it will display traffic. Like all Bluetooth devices it is not perfect. I tend to think this is more of an issue with Bluetooth itself and not the GPS. You would think the industry could just make Bluetooth bullet proof but this has not been my experience using a variety of Bluetooth devices.

If you have experience with Garmin, my best advice when moving to TomTom is realize upfront that the user interface is completely different. The TomTom does not think like the Garmin and expecting it to will slow your transition. Read the manual (which is not that long) and get familiar with their terminology and how TomTom does things.

Early on I went to a "MyRoute App" paid subscription for route planning purposes. All my routes are stored on the cloud and accessible through my tablet, phone, and windows desktop. The App allows me to route plan in Google Maps and then convert it to a TomTom route for download to the GPS. I've found the conversion to be 99% accurate.

Can't tell you much about the TomTom online planner. I used it a little in the beginning but MyRoute App was far superior at that time (4 years ago). Things may have changed since?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to give me more info about Tomtom Rider 550. Very useful, and greatly appreciated.

Everything I can find online about the unit sounds great and exactly like what I would need and like - easy route planning on laptop, easy transfer to the unit, option for curvy roads, easy mounting, affordable price,.... My concern were the Amazon reviews that were rather discouraging - riders complaining about bluetooth connection often disappearing, unit freezing and had to be reset (and by that losing all the saved rides),..... I'm not expecting perfections when it comes to bluetooth and that's not end of the world...as long as the unit is still running and I can see what's going on. But freezing is disconcerting.

Any experience with that? Any situations when you had to reset it and lost all the rides saved on it?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Some information here, new user as of January this year.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some information here, new user as of January this year.

Hmmmm....the link is taking me nowhere, actually keeping me here, on this page. Can you please try to post that link again?

This is awkward - I tried to open st-owners forum on Google Chrome and every link that I've tried is taking me nowhere. That is weird...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ok.. I will give it a try.

Nope that did not work.

Try it as before.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Any situations when you had to reset it and lost all the rides saved on it?
In my 4 years of use I've never had the unit lock up, reboot itself or require a manual reset. I've never lost any routes stored on the unit.

If you miss a turn it is very quick to recalculate the route.

When I first purchased the unit I expected it to function like a Garmin which is a mistake. You have to forget all you know about Garmin.

Read the TomTom manual, learn their system and it works. No way I would ever go back to Garmin.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I"ve had the TT 550 since it was first released. Prior to the TT I had a number of Garmin GPSs' on my bikes.

I've ridden in AK, Canada, and cross country with the TT. I've ridden in pouring rain for hours (it is waterproof) and in temps below 30f. As mentioned above it has never: froze up; shutdown on its own, rebooted itself, etc. It is very reliable.
I like how I can get updates via wi-fi. I pulled into my garage on the bike from a short ride the other day and when I turned the bike off I had a message on the TT that I had an update waiting. I tapped the OK button and as I was taking off my gear the TT was updating :)

I recently added the TT app to my iPhone. You can do simple route planning on the app and then upload to the cloud and next time you turn on the TT it downloads the route to the device - sweet :)

I like my TT head and shoulders above the Garmins' I've owned.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much, guys. That all sounds very encouraging.

Best Buy will match Amazon price ($299.99) and give 2 weeks return "window". That is most probably the route that I'll go (no pun intended).

·
Registered
581 Posts
I do quite a bit of long distance riding and often want to ride specific roads so pre-planning my route is a requirement. Used Garmin for years and getting the GPS to go where you want could be challenging. Garmin's map updates are why I switched to TomTom. On two different Garmins I purchased map updates online. Garmin took my money and during the download I was informed my GPS had insufficient memory to load the entire map. Only option was to load East or West US which was not a lot of use to me since I live in the Midwest.

TomTom has free map updates for the life of the unit which has worked out well. Map updates do take a couple hours to download on my 6 Mb WiFi. So you will probably want to update the map at home before you leave and not rely on hotel WiFi for updates. I've always found their maps to be very accurate.

The unit is the perfect size IMO. Easy to carry into a restaurant to view the route ahead and easy to store in a bike. The touchscreen zooms, pans and refreshes very quickly so it's easy to edit a route on the fly. Screen is easy to read in direct sunlight.

When connected via Bluetooth it will display traffic. Like all Bluetooth devices it is not perfect. I tend to think this is more of an issue with Bluetooth itself and not the GPS. You would think the industry could just make Bluetooth bullet proof but this has not been my experience using a variety of Bluetooth devices.

If you have experience with Garmin, my best advice when moving to TomTom is realize upfront that the user interface is completely different. The TomTom does not think like the Garmin and expecting it to will slow your transition. Read the manual (which is not that long) and get familiar with their terminology and how TomTom does things.

Early on I went to a "MyRoute App" paid subscription for route planning purposes. All my routes are stored on the cloud and accessible through my tablet, phone, and windows desktop. The App allows me to route plan in Google Maps and then convert it to a TomTom route for download to the GPS. I've found the conversion to be 99% accurate.

Can't tell you much about the TomTom online planner. I used it a little in the beginning but MyRoute App was far superior at that time (4 years ago). Things may have changed since?
Thanks for the Tom Tom experience report, I may have make a switch.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the Tom Tom experience report, I may have make a switch.
If someone find better price than $299.99 for a new Tomtom Rider 550, please let us know.
Amazon have it for $299.99 and Best Buy will match the price.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so few days ago I saw a Tomtom Rider 550 on Amazon for $299.99 with free shipping and that was the best price I could find anywhere. So I placed one in my Amazon cart and left it there, with a plan to look around a bit more...

Today I got an email from Amazon reminding me that I have some item(s) in my cart that I didn't purchase yet...or finished transaction. I've almost dismissed the email and then one detail caught my attention - the listed price for the GPS was $251.98!!! Almost $50 less than two days ago! And around 40% off MSRP ($399 on Tomtom site).

Needless to say, I went and purchased it. A friend of mine told me some time ago that similar thing happened to him, placed something in the cart and a few days later they offered it to him for less. But this is the first time it happened to me, and I can't complain.

Once I get it and have some time to play with it, I'll post a short review about it. Based on everything I've heard so far (from you guys and elsewhere) I have high hopes...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ok, so few days ago I saw a Tomtom Rider 550 on Amazon for $299.99 with free shipping and that was the best price I could find anywhere. So I placed one in my Amazon cart and left it there, with a plan to look around a bit more...

Today I got an email from Amazon reminding me that I have some item(s) in my cart that I didn't purchase yet...or finished transaction. I've almost dismissed the email and then one detail caught my attention - the listed price for the GPS was $251.98!!! Almost $50 less than two days ago! And around 40% off MSRP ($399 on Tomtom site).

Needless to say, I went and purchased it. A friend of mine told me some time ago that similar thing happened to him, placed something in the cart and a few days later they offered it to him for less. But this is the first time it happened to me, and I can't complain.

Once I get it and have some time to play with it, I'll post a short review about it. Based on everything I've heard so far (from you guys and elsewhere) I have high hopes...

I just this minute checked Amazon, it's $299.99...WTHeck?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just this minute checked Amazon, it's $299.99...WTHeck?
Place one in a cart and leave it there for a few days. I'm not saying it'll happen again but it did work for me.

I believe there's an algorithm that "watches" what's in the carts and if someone else offers the same item for less or the same seller offers it for less it will let you know.

In my case, it was a different seller that offered it for less (of course, same item). And Amazon notified me via email.

Worth trying...

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'll try that on other things, too.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Tisunac, I'm curious if you have had much time to play with the TomTom Rider 550 and your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tisunac, I'm curious if you have had much time to play with the TomTom Rider 550 and your thoughts?
I received the Rider 550 but didn't have time to play much with it (work, family). I've set it up (language, location,...which was easy) and downloaded the app on the phone. But, unfortunately, not more than that yet.....

As soon as I try it more, I will post it here.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Garmin's map updates are why I switched to TomTom. On two different Garmins I purchased map updates online. Garmin took my money and during the download I was informed my GPS had insufficient memory to load the entire map.
That is exactly what TomTom did to me. I bought a unit with "lifetime maps and traffic." Thing took 2 hours to update by cable, even new, b/c it has like 2mB of RAM and the updates were 1.9 or close. Finally the day came they informed me there was insufficient memory. Like you and Garmin, I was/am a bit jaded about TomTom. I think the only conclusion is all the makers do that as their own special way of planned obsolescence.

I have both TomTom and Garmin in the cars and think the TomTom interface is superior. Their price point for the MC unit is definitely more attractive than the Garmin unit. So like the previous post, I'd also like to hear how it's going with the new TomTom unit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts