GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
That is exactly what TomTom did to me. I bought a unit with "lifetime maps and traffic." Thing took 2 hours to update by cable, even new, b/c it has like 2mB of RAM and the updates were 1.9 or close. Finally the day came they informed me there was insufficient memory. Like you and Garmin, I was/am a bit jaded about TomTom. I think the only conclusion is all the makers do that as their own special way of planned obsolescence.

I have both TomTom and Garmin in the cars and think the TomTom interface is superior. Their price point for the MC unit is definitely more attractive than the Garmin unit. So like the previous post, I'd also like to hear how it's going with the new TomTom unit.
I had the original TomTom Rider and now the Rider 550 (both motorcycle specific). Over the number of years working with these two units I've never had the "Insufficient Memory" issue when loading Lifetime Map updates.

The TomTom Automotive units are generally much less expensive. Are you referring to the Automotive units giving you "Insufficient Memory" issues?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes. But they were kind enough to offer me 20% off a new unit... Never say never is my belief.
IIRC it was the TT550XXL or similar for cars. Cost about $150 new.

·
Registered
426 Posts
But they were kind enough to offer me 20% off a new unit...
You did better with TomTom then I did with Garmin. Garmin took my money for the updated map and then said "Sorry It Won't Fit".

Basically I purchased a useless map update and then paid full price for a new entry level Garmin. Couple years later the same issue with the new unit so I switched to TomTom.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the original Tom Tom Rider and never have had a problem. I keep it mounted with a selfmade dash mount on the bike. I have thought of replacing the battery but have, yet to do so because the GPS comes on with the key and I'm happy with that. MY Tom Tom Rider Bluetooths to my phone and to my Freewire so I don't need anything else. All phone calls show up on the Tom Tom Screen. Programming routes is just as easy as on my Garmin. No need for me to buy a newer Tom Tom when the one I have suites my needs very well.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts