GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the TomTom Rider?
Are the maps upgradeable from your pc, and can you figure out
routes on your pc and download to the unit?

I'm thinking about upgrading from my old GPS V to something new and there's a ton of choices out there now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=207&Category=1&Lid=4

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
FYI,
Garmin products work great and service is 2nd to none, I'd go with something like the 2720 if you don't need a mp3 player.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Not directly... it doesn't come with any route-planning software in the box, but you can theoretically use third-party software and a conversion utility program to get this accomplished.

Personally, for about $50 more you could buy the Garmin Zumo which has very similar features from a proven (US) company that includes the software you need right in the box.

The Rider does have some potential upsides to it, but only for the 'uber-geek' crowd.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Jim,

I do not know anything about the TOM TOM, but I do want to say hello and ask how the new ride is working out for you? Been a long time since I saw your name on here...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5Ross said:
Jim,

I do not know anything about the TOM TOM, but I do want to say hello and ask how the new ride is working out for you? Been a long time since I saw your name on here...
Hi Ross.
I'm glad to see someone remembers me. Thanks. :D
The Venture is working out real nice for me. Unfortunatly, due to some health problems, I didn't hardly get to ride at all this summer. Blue Trawler and me did get to ride over to Tucson a couple weeks back, and that's been about it for me.

I'm going to keep the Venture another year or two and then I'll get me another Wing. I really miss the '01 I had.

Thanks again for the reply Ross.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blue, Jon, I will most likely stick with Garmin. My GPS V has been flawless in the 5 years that I've used it. Just thought that since so much has changed in the field that I'd look at some of the other options out there.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
good to see you posting Jim. I drove through your part of the state a few weeks ago and really enjoyed 191.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Oldguy. 191 is a pure pleasure to ride, isn't it, and I'm lucky enough to live right on it in Clifton.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts