GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been building a trailer and I am about finished.. I would like to know what the tongue should be.
I weighed it at 42lbs using a bathroom scale and a stick that ran from the coupler to the scale.
Also, if I need to lighted the tongue weight can it be done by lengthening the tongue??
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Your tongue weight should be 10-15 percent of your trailer weight. When you load the trailer keep this in mind. as incorrect tongue weight will make the trailer unstable.

I have a small camper and always load it accordingly and make sure the tongue does not exceed 50 lbs. to keep it within the Wing's suspension capabilities. Hope this has helped. It works well for me.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Your tongue weight should be 10-15 percent of your trailer weight.
Fred is correct.

Too heavy a tongue weight and you will lighten up your front wheel; lose steering effectiveness. Too light and the trailer will dance; as in wandering back and forth. Kind of like a tail wagging a dog; ultimately leading to a crash.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Hello,
I have been building a trailer and I am about finished.. I would like to know what the tongue should be.
I weighed it at 42lbs using a bathroom scale and a stick that ran from the coupler to the scale.
Also, if I need to lighted the tongue weight can it be done by lengthening the tongue??
Thanks in advance

To answer the question: YES lengthening the tongue some will lighten it up some.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I think the trailer weighs in around 200lbs so I have some work to do. I left myself some adjustment in the tongue just in chase this happened.
\\

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
That is a neat looking trailer :yes1: I do think that the wheels are too far back though..:!: it doesn't look like it can be balanced, and will be tongue heavy. It is sleek though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have some adjustment in the body and was considering moving it back a few inches as well.
this my take on the Old Car Top Carrier trailer.. I went with a used carrier and aero looking, and made the frame..

·
Registered
29 Posts
nice trailer....does it have suspension, and if yes, please give some details and pics of the frame if you don't mind.........it looks like what I am planning to build......
thanks,
sonny

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it has torsion axle suspension. I will post photos and a Link tonight I am back here it is

this is the picture of the frame before I staggered the tongue.
Here are is the link for the axles
I used the adjustable
http://www.trailerpart.com/halftorsionaxles.htm

The frame is made from 1.25 inch square tubing, a 1/8 inch thick. The tongue is 2 inch square by 1/8 inch as well. I bolted it together then welded it. The last time i welded was 30 years ago and I wasnt very good at it.. I bought a wire welder and with a little practice it went smoothly. the axles are 550lbs and are adjustabe so I could get the trailer nice and low. I have 5 bolt 480 by 12 inch wheels on it.(not in this picture)
I cut the metal with a metal blade in my Delta power miter saw. the fenders are plastic and i bought them off ebay for 21.00 shipped.
I ordered the metal off ebay, speedy metal..Nice web sight quick service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts