GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mini-Mate camper that I just installed a tongue cooler rack on. My concern is that the cooler will weigh about 20-25 lbs loaded with ice and diet coke and will add that amount of weight to the hitch. The cooler is a 34 qt. rubber maid. I have tried to keep the tongue weight at 50 lbs. or below, but I think this mod will make that impossible.

I do have a quality hitch(hitch-doc) that has vertical supports to the mainframe.

What tongue weight are you camper haulers comfortable with? Thanks for your responses.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a Roll-a-Home Camping Trailer and run the Tongue around 60 lbs.
For any Trailer the Tongue Weight should be 10-15% of the total Loaded Weight of the Trailer.
Other factors that should be considered is that the Trailer runs as level as possible. If it runs low in the front it will not only add weight to the Tongue, but it will increase the weight transfer during slowing down or stopping. Load as much of your heavy items over the axle and the next heaviest stuff to the rear of that to help balance the weight on the Tongue. Just don’t get too much weight to the rear or this will cause some handling issues.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I also have a Rollahome with about 60 pounds on the ball. Works for me, on both the bike and the trike.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I had a Bunkhouse and when I would put the Air conditioner in the back in the spare tire well I could fill the cooler up pretty good. It is all in how you pack the cargo. 50 lbs of TW is not bad on a 500lbs worth of trailer and cargo. I would think emergency stopping would be more of a concern. That was one reason I sold the Bunkhouse. Between it and what my wife packed it just was not a compfy feeling.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the input. Looks like 60 lbs will be good. Camper weighs 265 dry, 25 lbs for the cooler and I'll try and keep it to about 100 lbs of other gear. Lets call it 400 lbs loaded for the road, which will put it at about 15 percent for tongue weight at 60 lbs. I'll load accordingly. I'll load it and weigh the tongue for sure before hitting the road to Cats Cade.:coffee1:

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
855 Posts
After you've drank all that diet coke you'll have to pee in the cooler to maintain proper tongue weight

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After you've drank all that diet coke you'll have to pee in the cooler to maintain proper tongue weight
Yep, Diet Coke is my only vice, well maybe coffee also. I have to stop every hour for a Diet coke.:22yikes:

Fred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts