GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
254 Posts
It CAN be done with heated gear but to me, what's the point? Unless you're commuting to work riding a bike is for pleasure and fun. I don't get any pleasure out of riding in freezing temps so I'll keep the bike in the garage and if I have to go out it will be in the car.
Same if it's raining outside.
I know if you're on a long tour you're bound to get caught in cold weather or rain but I'd rather try to avoid it if I can.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me to be extremely uncomfortable or in pain while riding.
In my younger days almost half a century ago, riding in the winter in Detroit wasn't as big a deal, but now. I guess I'm just getting soft in my old age.

· Registered
339 Posts
I'm 79 and I pretty much ride year around. I avoid ice/snow and rain when possible. I dress warm, no electric gear other than heated seat & grips and just ride. Actually I don't use the heated seat or grips very much. Riding in the 30's/40's is ok with me. I think the coldest ride I can recall was from Londonderry, N.I. to Donegal circa 1966, Jeans, leather jacket, gloves and boots and there was about 4-6 inches of snow on the ground. That was an ill advised ride but we were "invincible" in our early 20's" (smile). My feelings are that every rider makes up his/her own mind about the conditions they ride in or don't ride in.

· Registered
1,377 Posts
I used to ride in the cooler temps but dressing up the Michelin tire guy just takes away from the comfort zone. Of course, that was 70 lbs heavier ago - it might not be so restraining now. LOL

· Registered
10,168 Posts
West of Death Valley Nat'l Park, February, 2011

The storm had blown thru the region the night before...and it was just above freezing.

I recall another Death Valley ride a couple of years later, we managed to get in the same area but there was still some inclement weather further north.

Coldest ride? Leaving the Flagstaff area...mid-November. Tried to beat the cold, but that didn't happen. Thermometer on the bike read 24 degrees at the coldest point. The only way to get warmer was to head for lower elevations. On that ride home, 45 degrees never felt better. :giggle:

· Love The DCT
13,791 Posts
I used to ride in the cooler temps but dressing up the Michelin tire guy just takes away from the comfort zone. Of course, that was 70 lbs heavier ago - it might not be so restraining now. LOL
With heated seats, grips, heated riding gear and today’s motorcycle gear, it is no longer necessary to dress up like the Michelin Man to stay warm while riding.😆

· Love The DCT
13,791 Posts
West of Death Valley Nat'l Park, February, 2011

The storm had blown thru the region the night before...and it was just above freezing.

I recall another Death Valley ride a couple of years later, we managed to get in the same area but there was still some inclement weather further north.

Coldest ride? Leaving the Flagstaff area...mid-November. Tried to beat the cold, but that didn't happen. Thermometer on the bike read 24 degrees at the coldest point. The only way to get warmer was to head for lower elevations. On that ride home, 45 degrees never felt better. :giggle:
Nice pic! At least the blacktop stayed warm enough the snow did not stick to it.

· Registered
1,774 Posts
I ride all year around EXCEPT:
1. In thunderstorm with lightning, unless unavoidable.
2. Icy roads.
3. Snowy roads

During winter here in Eastern NC, it gets to be below freezing by the time I get off work @midnight, like this week.

I don't mind getting suited up to ride but, I forgot to hook my heater wires after paint job so, unless it's above @40 and higher, my Tundra is my best friend.😁😎 heat ALWAYS work🤙

I've ridden down to 24 degrees one night, without heated gloves. So happens that night, my bike's heat didn't work at all.

My finger tips were VERY cold, even with fleece lined Gerbing gloves, not powered up, just from the wind.

I'm definitely going to hook the wiring back up this weekend. At least I have a choice to ride or not, irregardless of how cold after work...not, works NOT fun but, riding to and from work is on my bike🤠😎

· Registered
'21 GW Tour, 'O6 GL1800
698 Posts
I chose to extend my riding season and the hours of the day I'll ride by being willing to ride in the cold. If I just rode in perfect weather I'd never get to go anywhere. Yes, sometimes there is discomfort but, in my mind, riding is almost always better than not riding.

· Premium Member
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,337 Posts
There do not appear to be any recent posts on this forum regarding riding in cold weather. As a 70-year-old and retiree, I choose not to ride in temperatures below 40 degrees…there is always another day.

Below is a video I shot on the subject.

Enjoy the Ride!

Too Cold to Ride? | Day Trip | Honda Goldwing DCT | Ralph's Rides, Episode 4 - YouTube
MO68,
I'm right alond side ya there Pal, at 70, cooler temps do put a slight damper on enjoyable riding. Here in the southwest of AZ at present, we're in the low 50's and low to upper 40's, depending on the time of day. I've never been one for cold riding in temps like the 40's. And, I've never really outfitted myself with actual riding gear. But, things have changed the last yeatr and I now have thermals, heated vest, a dedicated hi-vis riding jacket w/armor, good set of riding pants w/armor and some decent gloves. It just makes riding a bit more tolerable in those low temps. Keep on riding there Partner, we have to hang on safely as long as possible.
Scott

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I chose to extend my riding season and the hours of the day I'll ride by being willing to ride in the cold. If I just rode in perfect weather I'd never get to go anywhere. Yes, sometimes there is discomfort but, in my mind, riding is almost always better than not riding.
Because I have boatloads of free time and I don't "have to" ride, I take the car in cold, hot, rainy, or snowy weather.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
Because I have boatloads of free time and I don't "have to" ride, I take the car in cold, hot, rainy, or snowy weather.
Yep. Today the wife and I drove into Phoenix for a visit to the Martin Auto Museum. When I planned the trip last week, I intended to ride. When we got up and temps were in the low 30s...nope. Don't care to ride in temps that low anymore. And I don't have to. It is not fun to me or her. At noon I wished I had the bike 'cause it was almost 50 degrees and sunny.

Reactions: MO68

· Premium Member
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,337 Posts
Yep. Today the wife and I drove into Phoenix for a visit to the Martin Auto Museum. When I planned the trip last week, I intended to ride. When we got up and temps were in the low 30s...nope. Don't care to ride in temps that low anymore. And I don't have to. It is not fun to me or her. At noon I wished I had the bike 'cause it was almost 50 degrees and sunny.
That's the issue. In some weather scenarios, like you, and many of us have experienced, the early A.M. hours can be darn chilly. But, once the sun pops out and has a chance to thaw everything out, the temps rise enough to maybe even enjoy some 50's. We have a group of old dudes that ride here in Havasu and I've been invited to tag along on their weekly breakfast runs. The last ride, last week, we started out in the low 40's. As we got closer to our breakfast restaurant in Needles, the temp on the bike dash did dip to around 36 or so. I had on my long thermals, a long sleeve Carhart shirt, my new batter powered heated vest, my new wazoo riding pants and my hi-vis jacket. The gloves I use for that kind of weather are old, around 10 years plus, thicker type snow gloves but do a pretty fair job of keeping out the cold.

When we arrived at the restaurant, I was a bit cool but not freezing as the temps should have made me. I don't think I'd want to ride for great distances in those temps but, I survived quite nicely.
Scott

· Registered
2,155 Posts
To me, 35-45 degree temps are just about perfect riding weather. The cold air feels good in the nostrils, and keeps me comfortably alert. Of course, this is with bike and rider well equipped; Hippo Hands, heated grips and seat on the bike, and electric clothing for me.

Reactions: Jack2

· Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I love riding the wing in the cooler weather. Nothing like a cool crisp day with fall colours. Just turn on the heated gear and to feel toasty warm. Cooler weather also keeps the sport biker racer wanna bees off the twisties. For my last ride for 2022 (Nov 26), I counted only 2 other bikes on the road that day. One seemed to be a rider on his brand new Harley. I find anything below 10C/50F is too cold for the naked bike (CB1100EX) even with the heated gear.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 22 Posts