1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... almost...
If it works though, it will be cool.

I took the suction cup mount for Nuvi 885T
and, just for grins, tried to stick it on the Speedo face glass.
It sticks ... very hard, could not pull it off.
Then, snapped the 885T onto the mount.
There is room to press the release lever on the bottom
of the suction cup mount to remove the unit without
disturbing the suction cup mount itself.

So, now it's in the shade (could use a little more)
and mostly out of the rain
(anyway, a GL1800 should not be considered
a "motorcycle" by Garmin standards)
:joke:
and since it shows digital MPH anyway,
who cares if it's covering the OEM analog speedo.
:shrug:

Just going for a test ride now
... I'll let you know how it works

Inside the garage:

Outside in the driveway:

Using my eyes,
the contrast looks better than in these pictures,
I took them with my cell phone camera which is not
very good...

still, might need a little extra shade velcroed
to the dash overhang
... but, no mounts, no wires,
it has FM transmitter for voice
or headphone out for plug in to AUX
... not much extra to buy.
Maybe someone could come up with a flatter
mount to put it more in the shade.

I doubt the voice commands will work outside
but it's touch screen so it will still work the "old" way.

Dennis

·
Registered
440 Posts
Dennis,

I like the idea! I'm told that useless thing you are covering up lies anyway:shock:. Probably best to hide it!:thumbup:

:doorag:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Don't know about the others but my '09 is right on with the portable radar that is used around here to tell a driver how fast he is going error is less than 1 mph at 65 and lower. Also the odometer seems to be pretty accurate for the most part I haven't checked it on a long trip yet.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know about the others but my '09 is right on with the portable radar that is used around here
yes.. the 09's finally got it right
... not sure about the 08's...

but 07's and earlier are not right ...

Not shown in the picture but alt display
provides a large digital mph and compass ...
...so instead
of the analog speedo, you can have this
(while still listening to voice directions)

I used this all day today and it worked very well...
.. washed out the display in direct noon day sun
but otherwise it was good.
A small one inch shade around the perimeter might make
it better....

Dennis

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
We just got a Nuvi Garmin 260W and it looks like the same unit as you have. I'm assuming that since yours is the 800 series, it's probably got way more bells and whistles than ours does. But I used the suction cup and mounted it to the base of the windshield so, I get full use of the speedo, even though it's off, and, being it's where it is, there's no loss of road view at all. Basically, the position it's in and, my eye height for riding, I have a clear view. Yeah, I know, there's a law in CA about putting GPSs on windshields, well, I'll deal with it when it happens.

I think you'll be happy with it. We are. Ours is not the most technical one made but, it's going to do for a while as we learn what maybe we need on the next one in the distant future. It shows us where to turn and go and it, like yours, has lots of POIs on it like food, gas stations, hospitals etc. Good luck and be safe out there.
Scott

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I just bought the 855 from Costco for 300.00 and haven't really decided how to mount it on my bike. I assume Ram has a mount already made to do the jobso I am sure I can mount it much as I did the zumo 450.

I ordered the Europe maps as well, I'm going to spend some time in italy this summer and for what they want per day to rent a gps with the rental car I can purchase maps for most of europe.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I just bought the 855 from Costco for 300.00 and haven't really decided how to mount it on my bike. I assume Ram has a mount already made to do the jobso I am sure I can mount it much as I did the zumo 450.

I ordered the Europe maps as well, I'm going to spend some time in italy this summer and for what they want per day to rent a gps with the rental car I can purchase maps for most of europe.
Watch out for that AutoStrada. If you're not going to do 100 mph or more, stay out of the left lane. They are a lot different than the Intertate that we have here.

Enjoy your trip. Buon viaggio e buona fortuna.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts