GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on a trip from New Mexico to Washington state next week. I despise riding in heat. Will I be able to avoid bad heat on that route?

·
Administrator
4,001 Posts
I guess it is all relative, but I wouldn't think heat will be much of an issue this time of year, and especially at the higher elevations. If you have the flexibility you might route through lots of mountain passes where it will normally be cooler.

The latter half of July into August is normally a different story. I personally wouldn't worry about heat this time of year, but then I handle heat much better than I handle cold.

Good luck!

Glen

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Short answer...yes. But, there will be some days/times when the temps could be uncomfortable to you. Avoid low elevations as much as possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's all about the gear and staying hydrated. When I lived in SoCal, we would do rides into the desert where we'd see 100+ temps all day. I'd carry a hydration backpack full of ice water for cool drinks. For gear I would dampen/wet a T-shirt and wear that under my mesh jacket. Once moving it really keeps you cool.

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,074 Posts
What route are you taking? How much heat you have to deal with is dependent on where you ride. If you're traveling through places like Salt Lake, Boise, or Yakima, it's going to be HOT. They've already seen temps at the century mark. If you're following routes that take you through mountain roads and passes, you'll likely find warmer, but more comfortable weather. A bigger concern as you travel North this time of year is the wind. Here in Eastern Idaho, we've had winds in the 20 and 30+ MPH range.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Planning on a trip from New Mexico to Washington state next week. I despise riding in heat. Will I be able to avoid bad heat on that route?
Your bike doesn't have AC?

In all seriousness, we wear something called a cool suit when we're racing (cars) in hot weather. I can't imagine it would be hard to adapt one to riding a bike.

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
486 Posts
Get a big Cup holder!

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Define 'bad heat', please. Which route are you planning to take?

Here in Southern Arizona, we'll be entering our hot stretch - 105 and higher during the afternoons...southern NM, not quite so bad.

Now, there is desert all the way to eastern Washington. Is this a 'gotta get there' type of ride?

Example route: https://goo.gl/maps/Yj9Naat88Q4AQbfs5

How's your gear (riding apparel) situation?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just keep moving. It was over 95° the other day with almost 100% humidity and I was fine just as long as I was moving. When I hit stop and go traffic, it sucked big time as I was sweating like a suicide bomber at a bomb belt making seminar.

·
Premium Member
2006 GL1800P
212 Posts
We wear good riding gear, with LDComfort underneath (it's not cheap, but worth every penny). The LD gear wicks moisture away from the skin, keeping you comfortable and prevents rashes. Don't wear any cotton (underwear or shirts) get dri-fit type clothing to control moisture on your skin. ExOfficio underwear is the BEST for getting moisture away from your skin. All of the above can be hand washed in the shower, wrung out and then placed on a towel and rolled up to get more water out of them. Hang them to dry and they will be dry in about 2-4 hours depending on temp and humidity. We carry 2 sets of LD Comfort tops and bottoms (long sleeve and long leg), 3 sets of ExOfficio underwear, 3 sets of Nike Dri-fit socks, 3 sets of 32 degree short sleeve shirts from Costco (for under the LD Top, and to have for after done riding). A pair of jeans and shorts with tennis shoes or flip flops for after riding done for the day.

I wear an Aerostich Transit 3 waterproof leather suit, my wife wears the Road Crafter 2 piece. In hot areas, we wet the LD top, and use the zippers in the suit to control the amount of air flowing through it. The evaporative cooling keeps you cool. It works so well that I have stopped for fuel, and unzipped in 110 degree heat when it is windy and get an immediate chill. We also carry and sometimes use a Frogg Toggs chilly pad neck gator and wet that. I usually only use it during 105+ heat days. I also have hydration system on the bike for both of us to keep hydrated.

The concept is to control the air through your suit so the evaporative cooling lasts the whole fuel tank load. Mesh gear just lets the air through to fast and dries you out like a convection oven. Another thing that helps to control the heat, is a set of baker air wings. You can direct how much air is getting to you and ultimately you suit. All you have to do is flex your wrist to allow more air into the sleeves of your suit and the cooling affect is immediate.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tremendous ideas!!!
As usual, I appreciate all your responses.
I’ve got some buying/evaluating to do.

What about the bucket (helmet)??

·
Registered
264 Posts
LOL, too hot? When we lived in Arizona, we rode all summer long on our 2005 wing...110+ some days. Most times, we went up North or even Vegas in thatcdry heat.

We now live in NC, the heat is fine but, the humidity is making a rides unbearable some days during summer.

To answer your question, it's what YOU want to put up with. Just remember to stay hydrated, heat and/or humidity.

·
Administrator
4,001 Posts
As for the helmet, we usually recommend you wear one! :D I personally wear a modular.

I'm going to post a link to a thread concerning how to stay cool in hot weather. It is now a "sticky" on the main forum. The gist of the thread is that when riding in hot weather, cover up to protect yourself from the blast furnace, and let your body's personal air conditioning keep you cool. Some of the guys with whom I ride are seasoned long-distance riders who routinely crank out 1000-mile days in 100º F, weather. It may sound weird to cover up when it gets hot, but it works.

Dressing for Success- Motorcycle gear for hot-weather riding | GL1800Riders Forums

Glen

Reactions: Auburn

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I did my trip out west, I took a cooling vest. It made all the difference in the world!

For example: www.mycoolingstore.com

I bought an inexpensive one and rode through Moab when it was 105. As long as you are moving, the evaporation is the trick.

I don't think I would have made it without one.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Leave early in the morning (think sunrise), try to stay in the higher elevations if possible, hydrate often, wear appropriate gear. If it gets to be too much, stop and cool off. You may need to ride at night, but that brings it's own set of issues.

·
Premium Member
2006 GL1800P
212 Posts
Tremendous ideas!!!
As usual, I appreciate all your responses.
I’ve got some buying/evaluating to do.

What about the bucket (helmet)??
Like the suit to control air, you want a full face or modular helmet to control air flow and stay cool. Too much air in high heat will cause you to dehydrate quicker.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I use an evaporative vest. It's called a Hyperkewc. Their spelling not mine. Made by Techniche international.

Cost about $40.00 8 years ago. Soak it and wear it under a mesh jacket. Works for about 2 hours. Soak it again and go some more. I never have a problem with heat.

Rayjoe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts