GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
What about the bucket (helmet)??
Wear it….

Stay hydrated… stop frequently…

Stop and cool off in A/C somewhere if you feel bad….

If it’s really hot plan to just make it a shorter day than what you typically ride…

don’t end up looking up from a stretcher at someone like me….⛑🚑💉

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Here in Minnesota it's been brutal the past week. Mid 90's & up. Hopefully it will cool down soon and get back to normal. 70's -80's. My rides have been 7pm & later this past week..

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is my wife and I on a leisurely couples ride in the middle of Summer. She prefers the windblown look and casual dress, while I prefer a more vulcanized and retread look with plenty of ventilation and opportunities for weapon storage. What you don't see is the water bottle she uses to pour cool water over my face and in my eyes as we cruise down the lovely desert highway. The important thing is to keep moving.
hot gear.jpg

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Planning on a trip from New Mexico to Washington state next week. I despise riding in heat. Will I be able to avoid bad heat on that route?
I did several trips from Maryland to California in the month of July. Once saw 115 degrees on I-15 in Pocatello, Idaho.

You can handle the trip......!!!!

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
If you are using evaporative cooling watch out for high humidity. The higher the humidity the lower the effectiveness of the evaporative cooling. Also, I have found that temperatures that don't bother some riders at all can cause other riders serious issues. It has been said before, but probably the most important thing is to drink lots of water.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I rode through the desert, pushing 20 hours per day doing 50CC (IBA ride) years ago. I thought my cup holder and my 16oz glass would do. I couldn't have been more wrong. I was going through nearly 100 ounces of ice water ever 2 1/2 hrs or so... in between stops to gas up. That Camelback 100 ounce back pack saved my bacon. Temps were 115+ on the first day that I pushed through the desert from Calif. to Texas. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS without a serious ice water supply. I found that I could drain that Camelback in less than two hours if I didn't "pace" myself. I did it over and over all day long. A couple times I had to stop for more ice water long before I needed to stop for gas. One important thing: colder the better. I found that the coldness of that water really helped cool me down. Interesting side note: you'd think that with all that drinking, I'd have to go to the bathroom. Actually it was the opposite. I didn't have to go to the bathroom much at all. All that water turned into sweat.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Depends on your tolerance for heat and humidity. I recently moved back to Northern Michigan from central TN because of the heat and humidity and ride comfortably all Spring summer and fall. Im down for four months in the Winter. Pick your poison. LOL. I cannot tolerate the heat. Have fun.

Fred

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Lot's of GREAT advice in this thread. The type of clothing you wear and the time of day you ride makes a big difference. One thing that has not been mentioned is start hydrating yourself 2-4 days before your trip. Drink extra water during that time. Lay off the alcohol also while your hydrating.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Lot's of GREAT advice in this thread. The type of clothing you wear and the time of day you ride makes a big difference. One thing that has not been mentioned is start hydrating yourself 2-4 days before your trip. Drink extra water during that time. Lay off the alcohol also while your hydrating.
It is best to lay off of caffeine while hydrating too. I'm not a coffee guy, but I drink far too much iced tea. :(

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
This is my wife and I on a leisurely couples ride in the middle of Summer. She prefers the windblown look and casual dress, while I prefer a more vulcanized and retread look with plenty of ventilation and opportunities for weapon storage. What you don't see is the water bottle she uses to pour cool water over my face and in my eyes as we cruise down the lovely desert highway. The important thing is to keep moving.
View attachment 385039
Which one of those dudes is you, and which one is the wife?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts