GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm trying to decide which way to go for communication devices. I have an 03 without CB (never had it so, would need full kit) or helmet to helmet devices.

There's so much info out there from Factory CB to aftermarket, MP3 stuff, GL2way, J&M, J&M Bluetooth, to all the other communicator devices it just gets confusing on which way to go.

Here's what I'm looking for. Helmet to Helmet communicators, CB. I have an iphone that is blue tooth and would like to use the ipod features through the bike, also Pandora, if that's possible? Eventually I'd like to get a GPS and I know nothing about them as well.

So, with that can anyone steer me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm interested also.

Additionally, I would like to hear from someone that has a CB with accessories A~Z who has had -good- luck with them.

All I hear is that this doesn't work, that doesn't work etc.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
In order to make an informed decision you need to decide how you want to interact with the electronics on your bike.

All electronics can break this is a fact, near every product available for the GL1800 has fans and critics in equal numbers, no manufacturer wants to send out something that will give either the user or them a problem you will find good and bad for everything sold.

First Bluetooth this breaks down into two main parts

A. Bluetooth Helmets, to get this right it is the most expensive option you will either love it or hate it and there are some great solutions J&M, Airrider etc but it will cost you approx $400-$600 per helmet is it worth that to you to cut the cord because this is all you are doing everything else can be done with you remaining wired to the bike.

B. Bluetooth GPS, if you just want to answer the phone on the bike then this is the cheapest way to go especially if you want to add a GPS as you said you can get an entry level Garmin Nuvi for around $150 then at the basic level just use a MIC splitter $60+/- and a cable to your existing AUX $15 and your done, if you want a higher level of integration you could use a Kennedy set or a J&M integrator or even connect to a GL2WAY CB or use a J&M Bluetooth dongle to link your Bluetooth devices to the bike.

CB Radio three real options there are others but these are the main

A. OEM CB radio has integrated controls and has been the mainstay for the last 10+ years
B. GL2WAY CB radio the new kid on the block has the same integrated controls but offers higher modulation (Output) and offers the option to integrate other radios and GPS or Radar units
C. The J&M2003 CB this unit does not have integrated controls but everything is right at your finger tips in a really smart unit that bolts to the handlebar and offers a really attractive alternative with great performance at a reasonable price.

Headsets there are multiple options here offered form J&M, Airrider, EdSets, IMC etc etc at this point in time all of these manufacturers have got there act together the best advice I could give you is find some friends with different models and listen to them and decide what sounds best to you, quality wise they are all good but no headset will last a lifetime used as we do constantly plugging in and unplugging and with the cable flapping at 70+MPH for many thousands of miles, all the headsets mentioned are quality products could they be made to last longer maybe yes but would they be a light and convenient to use maybe not I think the manufacturers have got a good balance going.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
An informed, honest answer from Pete. He sells the GL2way but you wouldn't know it by his response.

Pete and his customer service is top notch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pete.

After reading through some of the manufacture specs. I'm still unclear how to get where I want to go. This is what I want to do.

iPhone use, CB use, GPS, bluetooth headsets.

I would like to be able to use the the iphone features. I understand that if I hook it up either through a GL2way or MP3 player I have no way to control functions. So, I'd like to put it on the handle bars so I can see who's calling or change songs. With that I like the idea of Bluetooth headsets but, also from what I understand, you can't integrate it them into the bike to use a GL2way or any other bike features. Is this correct or is there a way?

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Bluetooth headsets are not really my field so I really cannot talk from a position of strength I am sure some users will share experiences with you but for phone use I would use a good Garmin GPS now this depends on budget but if you go for a Zumo go for the 550 as it works the 66X models while being good GPS units do have the odd issue when it comes to integration otherwise all the higher level Nuvi models work just as well just are not waterproof.

The GPS would replace the phone handset on the handlebars and you will be able to control the phone via the GPS screen

You then just need to get audio into the GPS from your headset the simple way is to use a MOC splitter then the audio out could go into your AUX or if you want more integration a Kennedy unit or a GL2WAY

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Check out Cardo Scala Rider Q2 or G4 systems. Just Google.

The headsets attach to any helmet. They pair via Bluetooth and will also pair with your Bluetooth-enabled phone. It will also pair with a Bluetooth-enabled GPS. It has a cord that will plug into your mp3 player as well.

You can also have a secondary pairing that will allow you to pair with another Scala Rider headset on another rider. That is the limit on pairings, however.

It is a much less expensive alternative to CB systems.

The sound quality is very good and the range is 5/8 mile (line of sight) for Q2 sets and 1 mile for G4 sets.

Check em out... I'm very content with em.

Edit: oh yeah, they have fm radio, too, but it ain't worth €#%.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I use the scala 2 for rider to passenger communication (my i-com quit working properly and was not very good anyway-too much wind noise/whine, etc). Tomorrow, I will get to try it bike to bike for the first time. So far, my passenger and I have loved it-it is nice not to have to unplug and replug to the bike at every stop. I really never used the cb other than to talk to the guy I ride with 95% of the time-I think he may get a scala soon.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I use the scala 2 for rider to passenger communication (my i-com quit working properly and was not very good anyway-too much wind noise/whine, etc). Tomorrow, I will get to try it bike to bike for the first time. So far, my passenger and I have loved it-it is nice not to have to unplug and replug to the bike at every stop. I really never used the cb other than to talk to the guy I ride with 95% of the time-I think he may get a scala soon.
You'll like bike-to-bike as well. For me, the range (5/8 mile for Q2) is plenty... just remember it's line of sight.

I had to do some mods to the speakers' position in my helmet to move them closer to my ears so I could hear more clearly.

Electrical Connection also has a jack adapter that will allow the male mp3 plug from the Scala headset to plug into the intercom jack on the bike, allowing use of the bike's radio, too. That came in handy during an Ironbutt ride where my ipod died.

See: http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/headset-adaptor.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts