GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really see or hear of the tom-tom, does anyone have it? they look like their not too expensive.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I've only heard of one person with a Tom-Tom on their bike. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's waterproof.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Tom-Tom "Rider" is waterproof. The Zumo appears to be a generation better in "Features" although whether the Zumo's features are sufficient is up for debate as you can see by all the posts. I'm holding out to check out a Lowrance iway 600c.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I tried the Go 700 on a week long bike trip and had to return it.
battery operated so we could check on routes and motels while eating.
dislikes:
biggest - screen not visible during most of the day
2nd biggest - not waterproof

There is no comparison between the Go 700 capabitlities and the iWay 500c. the 500c wins hands down.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I bought Tom Tom Navigator 6 for my Palm Treo. It's not waterproof but it works good, is fairly bright and talks to you. I've only used it a few times so I'm not sure how good it is, but the Navigator 5 won't let you plan cross country trips at one shot. The 6 does. I have a 4gb card for it and with full maps and all the software I want on my palm it still has over a gig left for audio.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My cousin has the Tom-Tom rider and loves it. Screen is touch sensitive and you can operate it with gloves on. Easy to program routes and can be easily taken off the bike for security or route changes while in a restaurant. Waterproof and the bike keeps the batteries charged.

They are about $800-$900 so it kinda steep. My wife bought me an atlas, go figure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
TomTom

I have the tomtom GO 910 and I sure do like it. It is not waterproof so I have a cover for it. It is "Blue Tooth" compatable so it works fine with my razer cell phone. It has a MP3 player built-in and I only have a hand full of song installed but will do more later. I can plug it into the hook-up on the 1800 and works thru the speaker system. (cell phone will not) but goes to the outside speakers. I have been waiting 2-3 months to get a cradle from RAM and it looks like they are about ready to release one along with Brake/Clutch mount. There is a problem at times when the sun hits the screen, makes dfifficult see the screen so I just lisen to the voice (about 10 different ones). I enjoy the POI (point of interest) alarm, set-up with rest areas and gas stations and a whole lot more different ones you can use. There is nothing worng with the tomtom Rider - Maybe I should have went that way but I'm happy with the GO 910. I can also take it along with me when in the car.
Anyway, thats my comments.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Re: TomTom

kco said:
...There is nothing worng with the tomtom Rider...
Let's see...
  • A power button that is almost impossible to operate with gloves on
    No audio output capability except for the TomTom-supplied BlueTooth headset adapter
    Audio output through the helmet headset adapter so weak that it can't be heard at highway speeds (but it can be integrated to a Kennedy CellSet system)
    Operational controls locked out while in motion
    No PC-based route planning
These are just some of the reasons that the Rider hasn't caught on here in the US - the Zumo is the better of the two units. (IMHO) When the Rider was first introduced, it was selling for $900 - now it's down in the low $700 range, just like the Zumo.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
just put 800+ miles on TomTom for PDA
... (I use a 4150 iPAQ ...)

worked great the whole trip.
sound is very good.

and you can operate while in motion.

It's a keeper for me.

Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tom-Tom

I saw a video that compared several of the GPS systems. Let me first say that all comparisons were done inside a car. However, even in that environment, the Tom-Tom came in close to the bottom. The Lowrence iWay came in tops.

Happy Motoring!
Tom

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I'm glad I did not see that "review".

I'd have missed out on the TomTom.

I own 6 GPS systems, and this one is very good.

TomTom uses the TeleAtlas database.
Many others all use the NavTech database.

I've found the NavTech database seems to be more buggy here in Central Florida (where I live).

my two cents,
Dennis

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Two different units, Dennis - you're comparing an iPaq PDA with GPS software to a dedicated, weatherproof GPS unit.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Jon said:
Two different units, Dennis - you're comparing an iPaq PDA with GPS software to a dedicated, weatherproof GPS unit.
Jon,
I've only read the reviews on the TomTom Ryder ...
I was just reporting my impressions with TomTom for PDA
I don't think I was "comparing" anything although it may look that way if you read your post above mine and then read mine.
I was not responding to you directly.
Sorry for the confusion.

I was only trying to communicate that TomTom software on the PDA (v6) seems to be a very good solution
... especially if you already own the PDA (like I did).

I'm assuming that TomTom uses the same database for it's hardware version as it does for just the software.

Waterproof is not important to me at this time.

I have the PDA velcroed below the key area and at the first sign of rain I unstick it and put it in the side pocket
... the voice prompts continue to come through the intercom.

I already have an XM weather receiver so once I get around to putting power into the trunk I'll be able to display NexRad on the PDA too.

All in all, I think a person may be missing out on a very practical solution if they do not also consider a PDA based GPS
... and
of all the PDA software I've tried (iNAV, Mapoplis, MS S&T and a few others) so far I like TomTom the best.

Everything, the GPS, the PDA and the WX receiver communicates via BT so there are practically no wires to connect.
The ONLY wire I have now is for the AUX connection and I think I can add a headphone BT module to that
... and then have ZERO wires.

Like most things, one size does not fit all.

Dennis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts