GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two weeks, I’ve been in FL taking care of elderly family. My 87 year old father in law was missing when I got up this morning. Couldn’t find him anywhere. Finally went to the condo’s parking area and found him checking out the rear seat on the wing. With a glint in his eye, he said “I’ve never ridden on one of these, but I think I’d like to... this was 2 hours later when we returned to the complex all his neighbors were out welcoming and cheering him... He’s a jewel!! What an honor. Flame suit on re: distancing.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
That's as good as a hug on any day! The fresh air and a ride is probably better for him than all the social distancing in the world. Good for you, and good for him, I'm sure he won't forget it. (y)

·
SuperModerator
3,340 Posts
That is great. I know you made his day! I took my Dad for a ride on his 90th birthday many years back. It was a great thing for both of us!

Glen

·
Registered
325 Posts
Aloha revrunt,

Scratch that one off the bucket list for your FIL! Good on both of you.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
last year I was at a restaurant, when I came out there was a very elderly man with his family looking at my trike... They asked if I would give him a ride around the parking lot...I said sure why not! So around ~n~ around this parking lot I went ..Maybe 7-10 trips around as the family was taking pictures...(I gave them my cell# so they could send me some pic's also....) I got a call later that night, from the granddaughter, thanking me, cause that's all he talked about, later that day.. He was so happy....Two days later I then received another call from his family, saying that he passed, BUT was still talking about his ride on a motorcycle...He was 92 yrs old......[I had a warm wonderful feeling go thru my body]
Congrats!
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Great, you had that very special moment and took advantage of it! Memories as such are PRICELESS!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Little things like this take so very little time out of our lives but adds so much joy to others!
I commend both of you for giving someone their wish!
God bless you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
A couple years ago I picked up my 94 y/o (then) mother at her senior home for a short poker run. The other residents were agog and discussed it with her for weeks afterward. She has ridden with me about yearly for a while but this was the first time after she moved into the independent living home. She wears my wife's gear. As a retired nurse she calls motorcycles "donor cycles" but has always enjoyed the rides.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Augi, you beat me to it! I was ready to say that I take an old man for a ride every time I get on my bike! And he always is appreciative for the chance to get out on the road.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You know... I want to take my dad out, but he has severe hip/leg issues and I'm not sure how to get him on the bike....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good on revrunt and Captron! We had a dear family friend I met later in life whom Carol had known since she was a kid. He had contracted polio at age 25, and used crutches, but was able to do most things. He toured Europe in an Austin-Healy Sprite he picked up in England, with a smokin' hot chick. ( I saw the pics!). This was with a non-functioning leg. He had the greatest attitude toward life of nearly anyone I've met! They were at our home for lunch one day a couple years ago, when John was probably 83 years old. John asked about my '08 Airbag. I got it out to show him. He really liked it. Without thinking, I asked if he would like to go for a ride, not thinking about the risk to him if I dropped it, could he hold on, and how to keep his non-functioning leg safe and secure. I put him in the PPE, strapped his leg onto the bike so it couldn't get loose, and hoped for the best. I thought it would be a 10-minute ride around the hood, but when I asked John in the headphones "how do you like it?", he nearly blew my hearing away by yelling "THIS IS GREATTTTTT!!!!!!". Based on that feedback, I took him on a deluxe sightseeing tour in the beautiful mountains and twisty roads, not getting home until two hours later. He died recently, but still inspires me with his frequent recollection of how much he enjoyed that day. Go out of your way to help people enjoy what we may take for granted.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Steve when my Mom was about to turn 80 she told me that she had been blessed to get to do everything in her life that she had always dreamed about except for riding a motorcycle on the Blue Ridge Pky. So I got my sister to set up a trip with Mom & Dad to go to the Great Smoky Mtns. My wife & I set up to meet them in Cherokee NC. Mom & Dad we’re surprised to see us pull up. I told Mom that she was swapping rides with my wife & we were going for a little ride. We turn onto the BRP & I was playing Dolly Pardon music on the radio as (Dolly is her favorite). We took a long ride out & back with Mom singing the entire ride. We got back and she began to cry thanking me for completely fulfilling her very last dream on her wish list. One of or maybe the very best ride of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I met a sweet old man ( 80 yrs) through my wife when she worked for a dermatologist in California. The old man was being relocated to Oklahoma to live near his son for his last days. This guy was awesome and had many stories that he would talk about often. I drove him in his converted Army bus( RV) to Oklahoma pulling a trailer with all of his belongings. The old man owned a motorcycle which he was unable to ride now due to his advanced age. When we arrived in Oklahoma I met his son and I stayed for a week until I was to venture on later to see my family in Minneapolis. Before I said goodbye to my old friend, he asked if we could take his motorcycle out to ride around the area which included a lake and surrounding country roads. He was so excited to be able to ride on the back of the bike and enjoy the views and wind in his face. When we arrived back at his sons house where I was immediately chastised for being so irresponsible to take a 80 yr old man on the back of a bike. " What would happen if you were to fall and injure yourselves or worse" the son said to me. I appologized to the son. But really, the happiness the old man got from that last ride was well worth the cost of any admission of any guilt. I am sure Joe Williams ( my friend RIP ) appreciated the gesture.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts