GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
That’s awesome, I have a slingshot as well as my wing and have given rides to older, younger and handicappable passengers. Nothing better than to see the grin on a guys face that’s been attached to a wheel chair for life when he feels the wind in his face and the rush of the HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
373 Posts
You know... I want to take my dad out, but he has severe hip/leg issues and I'm not sure how to get him on the bike....
Wiscocyclist, pls. read my reply to this thread. I picked up my friend John, who had polio, and strapped his non-working leg onto the floorboard and against the seat. It can be done. Get someone to assist you if you need it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a similar story. My inlaws planned on buying a motorcycle & riding around the country after they retired. As it turned out their health wasn't good enough to allow it. Not too many years after my Father-in-law passed away, my Mother-inn-law asked if I'd give her a ride. So we took a few short rides here and there. It was definitely priceless. The last ride we took was a 17 mile ride to my sister's farm and that was pushing it for as far as she could handle riding with her emphysema. But you would have thought we were riding Beartooth pass as much as she loved it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I met a sweet old man ( 80 yrs) through my wife when she worked for a dermatologist in California. The old man was being relocated to Oklahoma to live near his son for his last days. This guy was awesome and had many stories that he would talk about often. I drove him in his converted Army bus( RV) to Oklahoma pulling a trailer with all of his belongings. The old man owned a motorcycle which he was unable to ride now due to his advanced age. When we arrived in Oklahoma I met his son and I stayed for a week until I was to venture on later to see my family in Minneapolis. Before I said goodbye to my old friend, he asked if we could take his motorcycle out to ride around the area which included a lake and surrounding country roads. He was so excited to be able to ride on the back of the bike and enjoy the views and wind in his face. When we arrived back at his sons house where I was immediately chastised for being so irresponsible to take a 80 yr old man on the back of a bike. " What would happen if you were to fall and injure yourselves or worse" the son said to me. I appologized to the son. But really, the happiness the old man got from that last ride was well worth the cost of any admission of any guilt. I am sure Joe Williams ( my friend RIP ) appreciated the gesture.
As we all get older we forget that these seniors are really sexy or manly teenagers trapped inside a senior and vintage body. The body gets old but the young spirit is alive. Don’t let the opportunity pass to put that smile on their face.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a GW Chapter in South Carolina that takes all their trikes in the Chapter to a Senior Living Home every year to give the residence a ride. The Seniors love it and look forward to their visit each year.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts