GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Took my seat off for the first time on my new 06' GL1800 Airbag Model and noticed one of the four bolts was difficult to loosen. I was careful and kept everything even and straight.

When I went to tighten up this one bolt it wouldn't turn in freely so I carefully removed the seat again and turned the screw into the frame hole itself just to check... Still real sticky and feeling like it might be messed up... Thought perhaps it was the bolt so I tried another and the same problem. Bolts all turn freely and clean on the other three holes... So the problem is in the frame hole itself... Very frustrating as it is brand new - first time to even take it out.

Anyone had this problem? What should I do? I am not a very experienced mechanic but I know enough to know when to stop!

Thanks,
Brian

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
If you don't own a tap and die set another member had a good idea in a previous post. He ran the bolt through the threads backwards to clean the threads. Also apply some antiseize compound to those threads. As with most openings lubrication is gonna be the key to ease of operation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep. Had the very same problem with my 06. Ran a tap through all the holes and added antiseeze compound. I also put the bolts in a drill press and cut the tips down a bit to help get them started in the frame. Seems to be an ongoing problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sears sells a thread chaser kit which will fit the thread you're working with.
Can't remember the exact price but it wasn't more than $50 for both sets (nut and bolt). as opposed to $200 for a decent tap & die set.
I prefer the chasers to tap & die because you're not cutting & thinning the existing threads. Most of us don't severely cross thread our stuff. We just bend a thread or two :lol:
Agree with Crab Killer's suggestion as well.
If you don't have a drill press, you can just file an angle on the end of the bolts. Only took me one attempt putting the seat back on for that one!

G

·
I must confess on my '03 and owning a set of Fred's videos, I never took my seat off yet, but the time is near, and glad to read some of the problems to watch for when I do attack seat removel.
When the day comes I'll probably be in my garage with my labtop on one side switching between Fred's videos and you guys here on GL1800riders.com......................LOL

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
if u bought your bike local your dealer might have a thread chaser cuz its a pretty common problem,use the rite approach and they will probably fix it for free

G

·
cycledude said:
if u bought your bike local your dealer might have a thread chaser cuz its a pretty common problem,use the rite approach and they will probably fix it for free
Great advice.............
I always look for a reason to stop at my friendly Goldwing service centers
just to keep in touch incase something serious comes up down the road.
Maybe even buy'em a soda or two.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You can also make your own thread chaser with another grade 5 or higher bolt if you have a bench grinder or even a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Cut 3-4 slots along the length of the bolt. Try and keep the grinder near 90 degrees to the back side of the thread as its threaded in. Backside is the left side if you hold the bolt vertically with the head at the bottom.
I made one to chase spark plug holes using an old spark plug and its saved my bacon a few times.
Or, rather than buy a set of chasers I would buy the specific tap needed and make sure its high speed steel, not carbon steel.

Pete

·
Registered
322 Posts
Seat removal

Brian,

I have an 07 w/ABS so I have the heated seat. I was wondering when you remove the seat is there an electrical connection that must be disconnected. I also have a Utopia backrest, what's the trick to getting the seat off with this installed.

Thanks,

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
New Bluewing,
I have your exact same setup as you on my '06. When you pick up the rear portion of the seat look underneath it. You will see a large wiring harness for the heated seat and grips. Pinch the large gray connector together to release it's two halves and then you can just pull your seat back and off. BTW you can just leave the Utopia in place to do all this, it wont be in the way. Terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts