GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda CB,Sierra Antenna, MicMutes and AirRider headsets all came yesterday.

Any advice or help on installation of any of these would be appreciated.

P.S.
Hope to start next installing next week but must go see that new grandson this weekend. Got my priorities ya know.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The biggest tip and time saver is that you don't have to take the trunk off like the instructions state. Since you have the seat off you are able to drill the hole from the seat side. There are wires on the other side. So look where you are drilling. If you have small hands and know where the connectors are under the top shelter (for filters) that does not have to come off either. Raise the back near the seat and reach under.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Steve,

When you plug in the small plugs under the seat make sure the color of the plug housing matches the one you are connecting to. There are two identical plugs and if you get the wrong one you will get the famous "CB Error" message, although no damage will be done, except to your pride. Don't ask me how I know this...

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Use a 1 1/8 wood paddle drill, or hole saw and hand turn to cut hole in the trunk from the inside of the trunk. ( close to the 28mm size stated) Very soft plastic, take 5 minutes, just drill a pilot hole from the seat side where the 'X' mark is. The Instructions for install are fairly good. The left and right fairing filters are tough to reach with big hands. Take the two nuts holding the tank upper cover off, fairing edge trims at pockets, all the screws, and make sure the room temperture is 70 f degrees or above. Most frustraiting is the rubber boot dropping around the fairing connectors while trying to get ur fingers in there and see what ur doing. Not hard, just challanging for access without taking off the plastic. If you remove all the plastic as instructed, a piece of cake. While you are at it, make up a two prong hitachi connector for the passenger CB, or buy one. Might as well connect it with the seat off.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
All good advice above.
The instructions are good,so if you follow them with the exception of removing the trunk you will do ok.Some have done it without removing the top shelter as well.

One piece of advice that was especially helpful for me...
Some of the connectore are difficult to find,but they are in fact there.Keep looking.

Congrats on the grandson.My first will be two in April and the second one is due in March.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Steve,
Take the bike to the dealer and let them do it! You go play with that grandbaby! :lol:

bruce aka "the blue trawler" :roll:

:blw1:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Steve ... I found the most tedious part to be installing the antenna .... the hole in the bottom of the trunk was no biggee since it's so large ... but doing the three holes for the Hondaline antenna (I imagine the Sierra is not (much) different) was a pain ... and then there's the routing of the cable.
Take your time and you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Steve, take your grandson out there with you. I can just tell by the picture that he want to learn how to work on wings. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts