GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a couple people ask me about the tool my friend made for us to aid in removing our side covers from the 1800,s. I asked him if I could post a picture of it along with the measurements. He said that was fine. Now undrstand I am not a professional cameraman.

He used a piece of stainless steel. It measures .250x.020. The length of the bend for removal is .180. The angle of the bend from the flat part is about 70 deg. The overall length is about 3 1/4 in. The O.D. of the finger hold is about 1 1/8 in.

He used stainless because it was a stiffer metal and it won't rust as easy. It works real good. You just insert it at the vital points where the tips are an gently pull. The thickness and lengths are such as the removal tool will fit in and move freely.

Hope this helps and it is OK to copy and change as fits each persons needs.

[/b]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Paper Clip

For a hightech guy, I came up with a low tech solution to panel removal, too. The SS is a nice improvement. :idea:

If you don't have access to stainless steel, you can take a jumbo paper clip and bend it just like 5Ross' tool and throw it into one of the front pockets, so it is always along. Eventhough I made mine for a 1500, it works great on the 1800, too.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
5Ross,

Any chance you could give some +- dimensions? I tend to overbuild, so your input might hold me back from my maniacal ways.

Save me from myself Ross, Save Me...... :lol:

Dawg

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dawg,

I don't know about any + - measurements. :) I do know he kept the thickness of the stainless, .020 so it would slide around freely. He kept the thickness of the hook to .180 so I would go in freely. The O.D. of the end could be modified so as to fit your finger :) Other than that it is pretty much made as to ones taste :lol:

About the only way you could over-build that is to add a can opener key :)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I got it. I think that I might try to put some shrink tube on the shaft and hook.

Ross, Thanks, I have everything that I need.

Dawg

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dawg,

The shrink tube is a good idea if it will allow it to work freely. I tried using that dip in rubber coating and it would not work. Let me know how your idea works.

G

·
0 Posts
Low Tech Solution (sorry, I'm a cheap SOB)

You know the paint can openers that any paint store gives when you buy paint?

Works like a champ, it's free, I love it!!

Carry one in my trunk at all times!

Ron
:blw1:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Really Cheap Tool

A reallly cheap tool is to use the latch end of a wire tie strap. Just slip the head in at the bottom and slide it up between the panels and pull. Works like a champ. I keep a wire tie in the faring pocket and it is at hand when I need it. If it gets misplaced I am only out a couple of cents. :wink:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Someone once posted on the other board to use a medium size "zip" tigh. You take the "square end" and slip it under the side cover and just pul out at the grommet positions. Very simple and cheap and most people have them around the garage. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dittos, Fortsand . "Fanger" has worked well for me also.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I Love this place, A whole bunch of Ideas and not a bad one in the bunch.

How in the hell did we ever do it without free cell calls, computers and stuff?

Bulldog

·
Registered
91 Posts
I carry a paint can opener like Ron. Works very good. One end does the business of removing the side covers :D , and the other end of it is a bottle opener! :lol: :lol: :lol: Price.......................FREE (my favorite 4 letter word)

·
Registered
994 Posts
5Ross said:
I had a couple people ask me about the tool my friend made for us to aid in removing our side covers from the 1800,s. I asked him if I could post a picture of it along with the measurements. He said that was fine. Now undrstand I am not a professional cameraman.

Hope this helps and it is OK to copy and change as fits each persons needs.

Just a tip on photos. Place a ruler or something else in the pic to give some reference as to size.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is a picture of the paint can removal tool in case you are not familiar with it. First try at posting a picture. If it is not right I appologize.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Good old wire coathanger works for me.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I'm puzzled about this one and not sure why there is any difficulty in removing the covers with just your hands. If you reach in from the bottom and pull gentlely pull out there shouldn't be any problem in removing them. It's also a good idea to keep to keep your grommets soft and pliable, so a tiny bit of vasoline will help them too.

DaleC

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Dale,
I don't have trouble either. The only thing I can figure is that each bike must be slightly different due to tolerances.
Larry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts