GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to use my Honda tools this weekend. Man the pouch is NOT user friendlt at all. The GL1200 were terrific! Well, I came across Cruz Tools pouches recently and decided to get the TPOUCH1 (http://www.cruztools.com/Pouches.html).

Everything fit in nicely with room for a few more, and! if you want to improve your tool pounch there "Metric" section of tools has some nice pretty complete kits for emergenck roadside needs.

Just though I'd pass along some info.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Chef, I've been grumbling about that tool pouch, and just hadn't researched any replacement. I was spoiled by the decent set with my 1200 SEi, and was really disappointed with the 1800 set.
One question though, why don't any of them come with even a subset of sockets any more?? I guess I can understand that a hex head fitting for a ratchet is expensive (although darn useful!), but to completely ignore sockets in the tool kit irritates me! :evil:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was also frustrated by the original tool pouch. I replaced my tool pouch with one made by Road Gear. I picked it up at the International Motorcycle Show in Dallas. I am very happy with the design.

Here is a link: You will find the tool pouch under the "soft luggage" and "pouches" category. The link was too long to keep on one line.

http://www.roadgear.com

G

·
ONCE you empty the Honda tool pouch the tools NEVER go back in like they were originally, can't even get it snapped shut :eek:4: :tools1:

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
In the past 93,000 miles I have never even opened a 1800 tool kit,I know from experience with other bikes that once the tools are removed they will never fit in the pouch again.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I must have the magic touch then. I took everything out, added a few Allen wrenches and a stubby slotted screwdriver for the Tulsa belly pan, and it all went back in again.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Stormbringer said:
I must have the magic touch then. I took everything out, added a few Allen wrenches and a stubby slotted screwdriver for the Tulsa belly pan, and it all went back in again.
DITTO

·
Registered
200 Posts
My reason for changing the pouch was to add some tools to the original set. The extra tools wouldn't fit in the honda tool pouch.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Javern said:
ONCE you empty the Honda tool pouch the tools NEVER go back in like they were originally, can't even get it snapped shut :eek:4: :tools1:
I've added a few tools, and it all still goes back in fine... and stil snaps shut. A 1/4" socket, a small extension, and 8mm and 10mm sockets are what I added... along with a 5mm hex with a longer shaft... and the hex wrench that is necessary (whatever size it is) to adjust Kuryakyn highway pegs.

It all still fits just fine. Put the largest items in first, then work down to the smallest items.

·
Registered
126 Posts
mrgl02 said:
I've added a few tools, and it all still goes back in fine...
Okay, maybe it's a minor point, but if you want any tool you have to dump it all out. With a roll you can unroll it, and select only those tools you're using. Ever tried to do something at night alongside the road, or in some rest area? How many tools do you have to lose, before the roll pays for itself? I just prefer the convenience.

G

·
VA Rider said:
Thanks Chef, I've been grumbling about that tool pouch, and just hadn't researched any replacement. I was spoiled by the decent set with my 1200 SEi, and was really disappointed with the 1800 set.
One question though, why don't any of them come with even a subset of sockets any more?? I guess I can understand that a hex head fitting for a ratchet is expensive (although darn useful!), but to completely ignore sockets in the tool kit irritates me! :evil:
Metric Allens for ratchets are available inexpensively. I just bought a 3/8" drive in 8MM the other day for a little over 3 bucks. NAPA store I think. 8)

·
Registered
377 Posts
While attending a large Midwest gathering last May, my tool pouch was involuntarily upgraded by means of subtraction. Didn't even notice for a month or two. I bought an interim tool kit from Home Depot and "improved" the selection of tools. It fits in the original clip and unfolds to reveal the tools. One of these day, I'll probably replace it with a CruzTools Metric kit when I stumble across some extra cash.

markie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts