GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harbor Freight has a floor mounted tool for bead breakeing and tire removal/install for motorcycles. Norther Tool as similar tools, but no claim as to motorcycle use. Are these tools capable of demounting and remoiunting GL1800 tires with realative ease? These tools look kinda chintzy in the photos.

prs

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Fred Harmone's site post how with the harbor freight unit. It is work, but so is the time to pay someone else. I have not done it yet, but plan to for the experience and pride. Just me I guess. Besides, who has time to run down to a bike shop and WAIT!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tire Changer

I bought the Harbor Freight model & 2 22" tire irons (Think I could use an xtra one.). To my door...$82.

Changed the back tire. Was work.....not easy. First time I expect it took me 4 hours. Next time, probably 2-3. Even breaking the bead took a lot of weight to get it to pop free. Used rim savers with moderate success. They get in the way at times. Resulted in only small nicks a few places in rim. Not bad.

Going to do the front tire this week. Hopefully easier.

Tip: My local kawasaki/suzuki dealer had the exact clip on wheel weights. Charged me $1 for 3 of em.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Tire Changer

TxGoldWing said:
I bought the Harbor Freight model & 2 22" tire irons (Think I could use an xtra one.). To my door...$82.

Changed the back tire. Was work.....not easy. First time I expect it took me 4 hours. Next time, probably 2-3. Even breaking the bead took a lot of weight to get it to pop free. Used rim savers with moderate success. They get in the way at times. Resulted in only small nicks a few places in rim. Not bad.

Going to do the front tire this week. Hopefully easier.

Tip: My local kawasaki/suzuki dealer had the exact clip on wheel weights. Charged me $1 for 3 of em.
Wow! The rear tire must be a Whistler's B***h! Sounds like a 12 pack job for one and a case if ya have a helper.

prs

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mike is right, changing your own tires with the Harbor Tire Changer and added assorted tire irons is not a fast or necessarily easy job, but you can do it and you quickly learn there are a few tricks to help along the way.

Last month I did my front and rear tire, then balanced them with my Metzler tire balancer from Honda Direct and I was back in business after about 4 1/2 hours. Of course, at the end I realized the $30. I used to pay for the same thing at my local tire shop sounded pretty cheap, but then I remembered that I also didn't get the savings on the tires there and the 3 trips to get them ordered and paid for and installed, plus the 4 phone calls I made to coordinate and check on the status of my order, and I didn't feel so bad.

It's not easy, but I know the subsequent changes are going to get easier and it's right here at my house. I like the convenience and having the freedom to do it all here on my schedule. Plus ordering the tires on line and it's delivered to me not me going somewhere else and doing it.

DaleC

P.S. Get extra tire irons - you'll find they help and improve the process, plus make a 4' by 4' 1/2 inch base that you can bolt the tire changer to temporarily while you are doing your work. You need to keep it anchored.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
22" tire irons are to short, go to a place like NAPA and buy a good set made for car-truck tires, not cheap but much easier and safer.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tire Changing

Just finished changing the front tire. Much easier. Smaller and possibly I was more experienced.

You've all seen Fred's good tips: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon

I went and bought a big clamp (see link below) to squeeze the tire into the rim valley which makes it easier on the opposite side when it gets tough. Helps on getting old tire off also. 2 of these clamps would be nice to puch more of the tire into the rim valley. Without doing this, it's has to be VERY difficult! For front tire, I only removed one brake caliper (right one in my case). No need to remove both as manual says.

Some pics of my balancer, clamp use, wheel weights.

http://www.arentinedesigns.com/images/c ... -stuff.htm

Yes, tire irons longer than 22" would be nice. These also bend some, which is scary. I have 2, a 3rd would be nice. Thought about wearing my full face helmet!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Tire change with Harbor freight

I never did my Wing yet,but I used it on my 2 Valkyries,and couldn't be more pleased with it.I got it on sale for 30bucks with 20 more for MC changer,and it is first class.Yea made in China,but built like a bull dog.I broke the beads in 10 seconds,no time at all,but you must make it stable,I bolted it to the floor,made it solid.You could also mount it on some 2x6's.I use one tire tool and one big screwdriver,If i sctrach the rim,just use 1000 grit and erase it. :p

·
Registered
469 Posts
Harbor Frieght Tar Changer

I've use th Harbor Freight Tar Changer for th last two sets of Wing tars. There's ah few tricks i learned from Fred Harmon that make th job easier. I use three 16" tire arns, three rim protectors, two wooden wedges, one rachet tie down, & tire mountin lube from NAPA. Once ya change ah couple of Wing tars with th Harbor Freight tire changer it gits easier & faster. Th last rear i changed took about 1 hour from start ta finish, includin removin- replacin it on th bike & cleanin up th garage. Ya need ta read Fred's version of how ta change em. Ya use th rachet tie down ta pull th tire into th valley of th rim, pull around th tire from ah point in th middle of th rim, & use th wedges on either side of th strap. :mrgreen:

S

·
0 Posts
Gee I just ordered a new rear tire from HAL - looks like it will be the job from HAL to install. But who the HAL cares anyway. What the HAL else would I be doing if not riding like a bat out of HAL.

If it doesn't work out you can all go to ..... well you know :twisted:

Oh and he does have a HAL of a good price on the tires, no one else even came close. sometimes you just have to say what the HAL. :twisted:

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Pards! Looks like THE plan to me.

I happen to own a static balancer ( the type where the tire is laying on a level horizontal free flaoting spindal and with a "bubble" dial built in to check "zero" and will also make a Metzler type -- it will be interesting to see if the static type is of any value at all.

prs

·
Registered
786 Posts
Homemade balancer

works better than I expected. It seems fairly easy & consistent to determine if a heavy spot is always stoppin at the bottom (or not

Did mine with rollerblade bearings I had laying around and a couple shelf brackets from the Depot & a couple T brackets I drilled. No welding.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
storm said:
Gee I just ordered a new rear tire from HAL - looks like it will be the job from HAL to install. But who the HAL cares anyway. What the HAL else would I be doing if not riding like a bat out of HAL.

If it doesn't work out you can all go to ..... well you know :twisted:

Oh and he does have a HAL of a good price on the tires, no one else even came close. sometimes you just have to say what the HAL. :twisted:

Storm....it sounds like you're going to have a HAL of a good time! :lol:

·
Vendor
22,066 Posts
I have a couple updates since I posted those pics. I now have done about 6 sets of tires, and I can do a rear in under 10-15 minutes, dissmounted and mounted with zero scratches. (The first time I did it, it took me nearly two hours and I dinged up my rim in several spots).

Here are the tricks. First, remove the top bar on the Harbor frieght stand. It only gets in the way. The center rod can still be inserted into the tire and it will hold with the lower clamp just fine. It doesn't need the top support.

Second, learn how to use the long Harbor freight bar that came with the stand. It is the key to easy installation and removal.

I cut a section out of a rim saver and used a zip tie to attach it to the tool. I spray the inside of the rim saver and rim with a heavy dose of silicone spray. This makes it slide easily on the rim.

Also, be sure that you are using the tool in a clockwise direction. If you go the wrong way, it won't work very well.

In this picture I believe I was going the wrong direction;

One last point. Make sure you have the balance dot where you want it before you seat the tire on, cause after it is all the way on it is a bear to try to rotate it.[/img]

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Fred. 6 sets! I wish I could ride that much!

prs

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tire Mount

Thansk Fred...wish I could watch u in action on a rear tire. Maybe I'll get faster.

I agree, the top mount just gets in the way. I like the rim saver piece on the Harbor Freight tire tool. Does it stay on well?? I found the rim savers were impossible (for me) to use when mounting the tire. worked OK when taking old tire off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts