GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20. The two most useless things to a rider are the braking distance behind you, and nine-tenth of a second ago.

19. Remember... gravity and centrifugal force are not just good ideas. They are laws and are not subject to appeal.

18. Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

17. Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment.

16. In the ongoing battle between objects made of metal, rubber, and fiberglass... going 100+ miles per hour, and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose. Same holds for cars, large trucks, and animals taller than you. Draws don't count.

15. If all you can see in your mirrors is sparks and all you can hear is screaming from your passenger, things may not be as they should be.

14. You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

13. There are two simple rules for riding smoothly and fast in snow and on ice. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.

12. Always try to keep the number of times you put your sidestand down equal to the number of times you put the sidestand up.

11. Never let a motorcycle take you somewhere your brain didn't get to three seconds earlier.

10. You know you've left the sidestand down when all left turn are bat-turns. You know you've left the centerstand down when your in 1st gear at 4000 rpm going nowhere.

9. Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

8. When in doubt slow down. No one has ever hit something too slow.

7. The rear wheel is just a big fan on back of the bike used to keep the rider cool and his/her butt relaxed. If going into a corner too fast, slamming on the rear brake causes the "fan" to abruptly stop. When this happens you can actually see the rider start sweating and his/her butt become tense.

6. The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

5. It's always better to be on the sidelines wishing you were on the track, than on the track wishing you were on the sidelines.

4. Riding isn't dangerous! Crashing is dangerous!

3. If you push the bars left, the bike goes left. If you push the bars right, the bike goes right. That is, unless you continue pushing the bars all the way, then the bike will go down.

2. Every ride is optional.

1. A "good" ride is one from which you can walk away. A "great" ride is one after which you can use the bike again.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sid Moen said:
Good ones. You wouldn't happen to be a flyer would you? :wink:
I fly, but I don't have a license... come to think of it, a lot of those "rules" would apply to flying also.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Very good and true. :lol:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I always thought there were only 3 rules, well it's the 3 rules I live by anyway.

My 3 rules are:

1. Drive as if you are invisable.
2. Everyone out there is trying to kill you.
3. Don't forget rule #2.

:lol: 8)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Those were great.

I like #14. I think I still have some luck left in my bag, and my
experience has been growing for a long time.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
#3 does a pretty good job of describing countersteering...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I violated #2 yesterday. Left the house thinking the rain had passed (weather.com said 10% chance of rain, partly cloudy forecast). Got into a fishtail leaving my neighborhood and then proceeded to get drenched on the way to work in heavy traffic and again coming home. Should have turned around in the morning and avoided riding.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I like #3. I could not tell you how many people I spoke to that have been riding for years and do not know the proper way of steering a motorcycle. (one is my neighbor that was a motorcycle cop for a short while)He almost called my a liar then about two weeks later he yelled across the street " hey you were right). I think of it every time I hear of someone going off the road on curve or simple corner turn. I live in Florida and it is mandatory that if you are 21 or younger you are required to take the MSF course before you get your licence. But it seems that they don't push it enough. A couple of months ago their was a kid that went of a ramp from one parkway to another about 75 feet high.

As for the link on "scooterk" for donating to PBTF. I looked into it and I believe that giving to this charity is great, but when you give to them at "FirstGiving.com" is taking too much away from your donation for expense's, they take 7.5%. If you reach the $25,000.00 needed, they will charge $1,875.00

If you go directly to the PBTF web site, you can donate directly and 100% of you donation will get to the cause.
I found this web site that checks out charities and give link directly to their sites.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... d/8067.htm

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
schiel1 said:
As for the link on "scooterk" for donating to PBTF. I looked into it and I believe that giving to this charity is great, but when you give to them at "FirstGiving.com" is taking too much away from your donation for expense's, they take 7.5%. If you reach the $25,000.00 needed, they will charge $1,875.00

If you go directly to the PBTF web site, you can donate directly and 100% of you donation will get to the cause.
I found this web site that checks out charities and give link directly to their sites.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... d/8067.htm
Just an fyi, the members of our board have donated a little over $200 over the last year (including my having issued a 1:1 challenge---you donate-I match last year). I put this on there as a convenience (some people donate $0 without it so PBTFUS loses 92.5% without it). I am assuming your point was that this a great charity, you can easily donate to it, and you personally have certainly done so already. You have, right? :?: BTW, my wife and I have collected a bit over $60,000 over the last 5 years...this is a very important thing to us.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My only point was that if a person is going to donate to a worthy cause, then why not have as much go to the charity as possible (cut out the middle man). $60,000.00 minus 7.5% is now 55,500.00 with 4,500.00 going to "FirstGiving.com" That's pretty hefty for just a credit card charge fee.
And no I did not give to THIS particular charity. I really don't understand what that has to do with it. So cool off. I meant no disrespect, just trying to make your program more efficient.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Fred H. said:
Top three rules for riding.

Don't fall down

Don't hit anything

Don't get arrested
I would add a fourth:

If you must hit something, hit something soft and cheap, while you are moving as slowly as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts