GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clicked on a You Tube video about the Top 5 Sport Touring Motorcycles in 2019. Didn't expect to see a Gold Wing Tour in group, but it's there. :wink2:

Funny, when I rode it the first time, I thought it felt like a big sport tourer. I guess I'm not the only one who feels that way.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The embedded video did not work, but I managed to find it. Posting it as a clickable link keeps forcing it to be an embedded video. So, here it is without the https in it

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbKsjQbmdS8&feature=player_embedded

One item I noticed was that bikes 1,2, and 5 all had very similar looks. Bikes 3 and 4 almost had a hint of an off-road look. But, when I ride my "#5", I feel that it totally is a Sport Tour bike and when I ride my 2010, I feel that it totally is a Tour bike. I rode a 2018 HD Ultra Classic for a week (900 miles) and it too was a total Tour Bike (even had gearing more in line for "touring" 6th was 60mph or faster). As far as the ranking of those Sport Tour bikes, I have no idea, I would have to ride them. But I just don't see myself changing from Honda's S. T. to get any of the other 4 or even one that did not make the list. I would still need a trunk and I would rather have one designed into the bike over a bolt-on by another manufacturer.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Came across this one when looking for that video. It’s pretty long winded but good information. Probably worth a listen for most people

·
Registered
316 Posts
video was kinda lame (looks like someone stitched some promo videos together) and that list is off. My list:

1) KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT - That bike is absurd, definitely puts the "sport" in sport touring.
2) BMW K1600 GT - Fast, comfortable, and refined, a nice compromise with #1
3) Yamaha FJR - Reliable, Fast, cheap, but lacking personality.

The Connie and others fall in the batch somewhere below the top 3.

The 18GW is not a sport touring bike, not even close. The GW seating position is all wrong and the steering is too numb for my tastes. Like it was said may times before, the 18GW is a touring bike which is kinda sporty.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Having owned 4 of the 5 in the video, as a true "sport-tourer" I'd have to pick the FJR as my favorite. I would like to ride the KTM, but the lack of an adjustable windshield and the minimal wind protection make it more of a "day-tourer" IMHO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have all of these bikes or variants of them right now. Instead of the KTM 1290 Suoer Duke I have the 1290 SA . Not the same bike but close. I have the BMW K1600GT Instead of the K1600B. Also have the FJR, Concours and 2018 wing. I dont understand how anybody would call the K1600 B a better sport touring bike than the GT. IMHO any bike with floorboards is not a sport touring bike. Riding position is all wrong. I like them all but my bike of choice for the twisties is the KTM. Very powerful and lighter than the rest. The Goldwing is a great bike but not my choice for aggressive riding. I can ride the KTM all day and it handles great. It is the bike I grab most of the time. The Concours is a close second. The Wing is for when my wife is with me on a long trip. As somebody else said it is a sporty touring bike NOT a sport touring bike.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Fantastic, not only the best Touring bike but one of the best Sport Touring bike too. Double the fun value!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
"Top" 5? What does "Top" mean?.. according to who knows who? What were any of their criteria? No narrative, no subjective comparison, no performance parameters, They show price, manufacturers stated crank horsepower and torque, which is not only useless information, it's actually misleading when in reality weight, wheel hp and power to weight ratio would immediately take a couple of these bikes out of the top ten of any category that includes the words "sport" and "touring. For example they include BMW's self described "bagger/cruiser" as a sport tourer and omit BMW's most refined sport touring bike which by the way outperforms three or more bikes on this list for features, suspension, power-to-weight, lean angle, top speed, braking and payload...what's with that? Then they include the Yamaha and Kawasaki which have great motors and are good value, but frankly both chassis's and suspensions are extremely outdated performance wise. For all we know these 5 bikes were chosen based on the video makers aesthetic preferences and certainly not sport/touring category sales percentages, measured performance such as acceleration, payload, suspension, measured braking, lean angle, top speed, rake and trail or even weight....all information that tell anyone with an understanding of motorcycles how much "sport" and how much "tour" were bred into each bike. Not to mention creature features, or head-to-head evaluation by reputable test riders evaluation after actual road trips. How many people will go out and buy one of these bikes because it's in this video....or even funnier how many will brag to others they own one of the top bikes on this list? Yep you guessed it, I hate these useless crap videos.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
According to the highly trained totally subjective person that put that clip together. I was kidding around - I could care less what others say at this point. I enjoy the bike - and in my opinion the new improved Wing is the best bike for me. There have been situations where another bike would perform better or I might have felt more confident but overall, I feel Honda hit it out of the park. I don't expect everyone to agree that it is the best touring or sport touring bike but I think its a lot of fun to ride and pretty comfortable on the long trip too.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
cool, that's your subjective choice but that has nothing to do with the video list. I'm not picking on you or singling you out but there's nothing objective about saying what's the "Best" bike for you or for me.....but I'm betting we both could say why we own the bikes we own. The difference is the video has NO credibility. Who here actually thinks whoever made that list/video actually rode all the bikes on his list....or other obvious bikes that he omitted?...and likewise, how many others who haven't will agree with it? lol

Just as every machine has design strengths, weaknesses, and compromises baked into the final product, all machines also have measurable performance parameters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel Honda hit it out of the park. I don't expect everyone to agree that it is the best touring or sport touring bike but I think its a lot of fun to ride and pretty comfortable on the long trip too.
For me, I agree that Honda hit it out of the park.

Regarding the video, I posted it just for fun. While I was watching, I knew it was based on the video creator's subjective opinion. While I know nothing about the video creator's credentials, I simply found it amusing that the GW was included. I didn't expect to kick up a fuss. But oh well. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
cool, that's your subjective choice but that has nothing to do with the video list. I'm not picking on you or singling you out but there's nothing objective about saying what's the "Best" bike for you or for me.....but I'm betting we both could say why we own the bikes we own. The difference is the video has NO credibility. Who here actually thinks whoever made that list/video actually rode all the bikes on his list....or other obvious bikes that he omitted?...and likewise, how many others who haven't will agree with it? lol

Just as every machine has design strengths, weaknesses, and compromises baked into the final product, all machines also have measurable performance parameters.

You and I think a lot alike on this subject. Why didn't that video throw in the BMW GSA into the mix. I now a lot of folks that sport tour on that bike and sing it's praises as a Sport Tourer? Like you said, it's because these videos and mag articles already have pre-dispostion as to what THEIR favorite/s will be.

What I would like to see in an article(not a video) is the BEST IN CLASS bikes from an OWNERSHIP COST BASIS. For instance, is a Harley Ultra Classic a "better buy" than a Honda Goldwing Tour? Or a BMW K Grand America? Or a BMW GTL? And what I'm after is this: What is the REAL cost of buying AND riding a particular model? How much are fluid changes and how often? How much and how often for tire changes? How much does it cost to get a "comfortable" ride? ETC< ETC< ETC? If needed, how much for a suspension upgrade beyond the standard? Do handlebars need to be changed? How about seats? Is there tip over protection needed? Front and rear?
How about the cost of the Extended warranty, anf how long is the factory warranty? Is a new windshield upgrade a "must" ?

Now I realize that "comfort" upgrades are subjective, but there are some bikes that ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE them done. It's not negotiable. But then again, there are some bikes that all you have to do is crank it up and ride away.

And I want this article written because I'm for one am REALLY tired of asking, or reading about folks that say "Oh, just oil changes and tires is all". Well, anybody that has been around bikes for any length of time knows that is total Bravo Sierra! And I certainly wouldn't buy a bike with 30,000 miles on it that had only "tires and oil changes" done to it.
The two things to me that are the most costly are the length of tire mileage and the "routine maintenance" charges. Extended warranty plans are only a factor when it comes to Harley...who has exorbitant charges for warranties. That in itself tells you a lot about the motorcycle durability, doesn't it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts