GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about the difficulty in removing the top shelter on my '05 wing. I need to run a power line from he handlebars to either the fuse panel or battery post and was curious on how long it would take to remove the top cover.

I'll also be looking to see if there are any videos to watch, as well as conducting a search here on the specifics in undertaking this task.

Once I get some free time, anyway...

Thanks in advance,

- David

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Removing the top shelter is pretty straight forward. However, if all you want to do is run a wire, you can use a stiff wire and fish it up under the top shelter to the pocket area pretty easily without ever pulling the shelter.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
I found if ya take the seat off and just take the 2 nuts off where shelter is bolted to bracket ( one on each side ) where front of seat sets you can pull out the shelter there and gives ya some hand room

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Might consider running a 1/2 diameter flexible tube from the start area under the shelter to the front and one to the rear on the bike. I fish wires through then now without pulling the shelter. Consider using a relay triggered by the aux power fuse tap so you can't leave something on when you walk away with the keys; just to save your battery.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Might consider running a 1/2 diameter flexible tube from the start area under the shelter to the front and one to the rear on the bike. I fish wires through then now without pulling the shelter. Consider using a relay triggered by the aux power fuse tap so you can't leave something on when you walk away with the keys; just to save your battery.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I've done that on both sides of my 2012. With the tube, you are less likely to end up with shorted wires in the future.

1/2 inch polyethylene tubing is flexible but stiff enough to fish through the shelter area.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HEY! I truly appreciate your guidance on this. Some good info in this thread. Never would I have thought to run tubing for future wiring needs...

Thanks again. Go have some BBQ or Southwest Sonoran Mexican Food for your help....

- David

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I'm wondering about the difficulty in removing the top shelter on my '05 wing. I need to run a power line from he handlebars to either the fuse panel or battery post and was curious on how long it would take to remove the top cover.

I'll also be looking to see if there are any videos to watch, as well as conducting a search here on the specifics in undertaking this task.

Once I get some free time, anyway...

Thanks in advance,

- David
Although many might choose not too, or they may not know how too, I would highly recommend that the shelter be removed, and your wires be routed correctly. Never should loose wires come in from the inner-side of the shelter, and over to, or up to, an accessory that is mounted to your handle bar. At all times, all areas of the fork tunnel, and handle bar area, needs total freedom of movement. Never should there be anything that can interfere, under any circumstances, of having absolute full control of your m/c. Poorly routed wires can cause just that. They can also blow fuses, stress plastic, and cause fires.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Connection near ignition and plugs for radio and antenna on my 04 are a bit of a pain ! And tabs on side strips that clip between top cover and fairing require caution! Try not to scratch speedo glass ! The plastic scratches quite easily

1 - 9 of 9 Posts