GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following Bartman's instructions, successfully removed top shelter and installed MBL Risers. Now considering painting the shelter. Bike is black so matching not an issue. Can you use grit/sandpaper/? to remove the rough texture on the shelter prior to painting?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have no idea about your questioon, but thanks for the Guinness photo! :D

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
BG,

Glad the instructions helped. Just to be clear, the "shelter" is the part below the radio control down to the front of the seat, down each side and up onto the fairing. The part you're referring to is the dash/speaker covers (on the '06-'07).

I'm having mine done. My ex-wife's uncle used to own a motorcycle body shop here in town and now works at the local Cadillac dealer. We've talked about doing just that and he recommended sanding, 2 coats of primer, 3-4 coats of base color and 1-2 coats of clear. Should look GREAT. Also doing the lower cowl, header covers, the bottom of the passenger foot rests, the inserts on the heads and those UGLY chrome covers right behind the engine.

Now all I have to do is go get the paint, some reducer/hardener and take the parts off. If it will just get cold enough to stop riding, I'll get to work.

Bartman

·
Registered
19,048 Posts
gloss black will reflect into your windshield a little

if that doesn't bother you let er rip

I had mine done by RTE in 05 metalic silver looks good -but I do get a little glare

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Come on Bart, we are in FL, it never gets too cold to ride. :wink:

Well, there was that time we had the ice storm, and that other time when it got down to 9 degrees.

Other than that..no problem!

Looking forward to seeing your bike when it's all done.

Dep

·
Registered
826 Posts
Dep said:
Come on Bart, we are in FL, it never gets too cold to ride. :wink:

Dep
Hey, that's what I heard. Left Texas for Daytona in 70 deg, perfect riding weather. Light Jackets. Florida's got to be warmer than Texas right? Wrong. 37 deg. Bout froze or tails off.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
A can of flat black spray to the rescue.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Terpen, you were lucky enough to hit us during the first cool spell of the year.

It's been in the 80s here this week. Though we are suppose to have another cold front come in this weekend. Highs in the 60s. Yeah, I know.Sucks to be us huh? LOL.

Dep

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input and glad I could assist providing a Guinness photo.
Think I'll have a go at sanding it down and applying a coat of gloss black. If too much reflection, will opt for flat. If I toally screw it up - on to RTE for a replacement.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Another option (which I may be employing myself) is the krinkle finish in a can. It is more sealed than flat but the texture keeps it from being reflective.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts