GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a few photos I took to document the removal of the top shelters from a 2009 Airbag Wing. The documentation begins after the removal of the trim pieces, the top left box, and the meter panel (all of which are identical to non-Airbag Wings). I've included additional text on some of the pictures to provide more information.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/capozzir/2009 Goldwing/Top Shelters Removal/

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Here's a few photos I took to document the removal of the top shelters from a 2009 Airbag Wing. The documentation begins after the removal of the trim pieces, the top left box, and the meter panel (all of which are identical to non-Airbag Wings). I've included additional text on some of the pictures to provide more information.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/capozzir/2009 Goldwing/Top Shelters Removal/

Thanks for the great Pictures, I am going to try to change my air filter and tighten the radiator hoses. Previously I removed the top shelter when I installed my CB but I had an awful hard time getting everything back together. I know these pictures will help. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great Pictures, I am going to try to change my air filter and tighten the radiator hoses. Previously I removed the top shelter when I installed my CB but I had an awful hard time getting everything back together. I know these pictures will help. Thanks again
I went back to the pictures myself to refresh my memory on part locations also. :lol:
Let me know how the filter change goes. I've only got 3k on mine right now so would be interested in your experience with the additional steps needed with the airbag model.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Top Shelter Removal for Airbag model

Rob (rmcapozzi), your photo documentation is one of the best jobs I have ever seen to describe a procedure. I am getting a 2009 airbag model end of Feb. and this info will be valuable for me. Thanks so much for taking time to illustrate procedure.
Mark

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob (rmcapozzi), your photo documentation is one of the best jobs I have ever seen to describe a procedure. I am getting a 2009 airbag model end of Feb. and this info will be valuable for me. Thanks so much for taking time to illustrate procedure.
Mark
Thanks for the nice compliment. Good luck on the new purchase of your Wing. My wife and I really enjoyed our short 4 day ride in CA on a Wing. That state sure does have a lot of good riding...and the weather isn't that bad either. :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
Remove re: Air Bag

rmcapozzzi

Thanks for the post.

Great help...

txs, F

:doorag:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
While the pictures are great, I could use some instructions on how to remove the igntion cover as there doesn't seem to be any in the manual.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While the pictures are great, I could use some instructions on how to remove the igntion cover as there doesn't seem to be any in the manual.
The cover that surrounds the ignition plate simply pops off. Stick your finger nail under the raised edge and lift.

You don't need to remove this plate to remove the top shelter OR the dash. That's why I didn't mention it. Once the dash is off, flip it over and you'll see how the ignition covers snaps in with two small metal tabs.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thanks, I tried to pry it up, but it seemed pretty tight and I didn't want to break anything. I'll leave it on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Rob,

Excellent job with the camera!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I should be able to finish my job now....key word "SHOULD" ha

Have a GREAT day.....and THANKS again!!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Good job. I will be out there with the lap-top when I do mine for the first time.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:yes1:

The 2012 shelter may be a bit different but I think it is likely similar to the '06-'10 Airbag model seeing how Honda is using a single top shelter now for all models.

Let us know where the 2012 differs. :thumbup:

Rob,

Excellent job with the camera!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I should be able to finish my job now....key word "SHOULD" ha

Have a GREAT day.....and THANKS again!!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I Know this is an old thread, but I,ve been using it since I've had my 2009 Bagger and it trully is a great "How to" pictorial!

I will be using it this morning to reassemble things after doing an A/F change and also doing a power windshield install (Windbender). I also did some electrical wiring clean up ( added the Eastern Beaver Aux. fuse block).

Thanks to rmcapozzi

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work! Glad you find the post helpful and thanks for the kind words! :thumbup:

I Know this is an old thread, but I,ve been using it since I've had my 2009 Bagger and it trully is a great "How to" pictorial!

I will be using it this morning to reassemble things after doing an A/F change and also doing a power windshield install (Windbender). I also did some electrical wiring clean up ( added the Eastern Beaver Aux. fuse block).

Thanks to rmcapozzi

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I have been wondering what to expect when I go to change out the filter. I was not sure about messing with the air bag.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Can anyone point out (or add a picture) of where the Cruise Control Cables are for a late Model Airbag.
I can see the controller in these pictures, under the front right speaker. However, I am not seeing the cables and the adjustment nuts.

Rick

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Rob

Absolutely great job. I spent the day in my garage changing my air filter after 30,000 miles and needless to say, it needed it. I used my iPad and simply moved from slide to slide and when putting it back together, just reversed the slides.

Thanks Rob, it's guys like you that make this forum so valuable.

Rick

:bow:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know this is a really old thread, but I just used these pictures to help me remove the shelter off my 2010 airbag to get to my rear shock. What a great help it was!

Thanks for posting, and for keeping the pics up after all these years!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts