GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone concerned enough to use only (or mostly) Top-Tier gas ever ask if the major branded stations in their area actually sell Top-Tier gas?

Here's a list of "Licensed Brands": https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

At home (Michigan) I use gas mostly from Costco. Costco sells Top-Tier gas at ALL it's stations and I thought the Major Brands on the licensed brands list were all Top-Tier also.

After noticing the Top-Tier sticker missing on all the pumps here in Zephyrhills, Florida, I begin asking questions.
What I found was that ALL the Branded stations I asked at are NOT selling the Top-Tier gasoline. To me that amounts to false advertising. Even the brand new WaWa station sells inferior gasoline.
Some managers flatly said, "NO", when asked if their gasoline was Top-Tier while others had absolutely no idea what Top-Tire gasoline even was.
Must automobile manufacturies (not sure about Honda motorcycles) now require Top-Tier gasoline use in their vehicles.

Top-Tier labeling had nothing to do with octane level. For those not familiar. (Google it)

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
BEEN TOLD TOP TIER LISTINGS ARENT ALL TRUE ! GOT INFO LAST YEAR THAT MURPHY (WALFARTS) GAS NOT LISTED ON TOP TIER WEBSITE ! THEY SAID THERES WAS BUT TO GET LISTED "HAD " TO PAY FEE. SAM ROLLED OVER IN HIS GRAVE AND SAID "$$$) NO WAY !! I TRY AND NOT TELL MY BIKE EVERYTHING I DO TO IT ! SO FAR ALL GOOD . :wink2::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: anotherone

·
Registered
301 Posts

One more thing to worry about.:surprise:

Let me think: was my last gas fill-up "top tier"? Or should I hold out and hope the next gas station is "top tier"?:confused:

What to do, what to do?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
runs like a top tier on cheapest gas I can find. Turn knob push start ; well **** , started right up on the cheap **** ! Doesnt run right you say ; frickin sea foam fixes all! It aint made of crystal , just ride it. PS. I dont polish the lug nuts either.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BEEN TOLD TOP TIER LISTINGS ARENT ALL TRUE ! GOT INFO LAST YEAR THAT MURPHY (WALFARTS) GAS NOT LISTED ON TOP TIER WEBSITE ! THEY SAID THERES WAS BUT TO GET LISTED "HAD " TO PAY FEE. SAM ROLLED OVER IN HIS GRAVE AND SAID "$$$) NO WAY !! I TRY AND NOT TELL MY BIKE EVERYTHING I DO TO IT ! SO FAR ALL GOOD . :wink2::laugh::laugh:
Marketing gimmick.
All Valero gas is top tier
While it may be true that Major Brands pay a fee to be included in the Top-Tire registry, I don't think it's a marketing gimmic at all.

When the automotive industry made changes to fuel systems (ie: carbs to fuel injectors) that resulted in the demand for cleaner fuels to keep injectors from clogging and deposits from collecting on valves. These conditions happen over time and not just from a few tankfuls.

Years ago I was driving about 100K miles a year delivering RV's across the country. Over 300K miles and absolutely no injector problems which I contributed to fateful use of a diesel injector cleaner. When I ended that job and stuck closer to home I quit the use of the injector cleaner and was purchasing fuel from a local 'no-name' (unbranded) fuel source. In nine months I began having injector problems and engine stalling. I started my use of injector cleaner (doubling the dose for the first few tankfuls) The injectors cleaned up and with close to 500K miles on the engine still were using the original injectors.

While Top-Tier diesel is available, it certainly is more difficult to find. When it comes to gasoline though, you should be able to depend on the Major Brands that are on the Top-Tier list to actually be the improved blends with the chemical cleaners that thay say are in it.
When local stations "advertise" and display the Major Brand name, you should be able to depend on the fact you are getting what you're paying for. In my mind, anything less is false advertising!

It's true, all gasoline comes from the same refinery. The difference comes when the fuel is loaded into the induvidual tankers for delivery to your local stations. The additive is then added to the individual tanker-truck. When your local station orders fuel from the tank-farm without those additives that make up that Major Brand, he's robbing his customers.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My BS meter pegged when I saw ARCO and 76 were on the top tier list. My guess, it's fee based; anyone who pays is on the list, and those who do not pay are not on the list. Has nothing to do with the gasoline. JMHO

·
Registered
372 Posts
When local stations "advertise" and display the Major Brand name, you should be able to depend on the fact you are getting what you're paying for. In my mind, anything less is false advertising![/COL
[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

If you are a branded store and get caught selling anything but branded you won't be branded much longer. Also to be branded you must sell X number of gallons per month. So it is to your benefit to sell branded product.

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
While it may be true that Major Brands pay a fee to be included in the Top-Tire registry, I don't think it's a marketing gimmic at all.

When the automotive industry made changes to fuel systems (ie: carbs to fuel injectors) that resulted in the demand for cleaner fuels to keep injectors from clogging and deposits from collecting on valves. These conditions happen over time and not just from a few tankfuls.

Years ago I was driving about 100K miles a year delivering RV's across the country. Over 300K miles and absolutely no injector problems which I contributed to fateful use of a diesel injector cleaner. When I ended that job and stuck closer to home I quit the use of the injector cleaner and was purchasing fuel from a local 'no-name' (unbranded) fuel source. In nine months I began having injector problems and engine stalling. I started my use of injector cleaner (doubling the dose for the first few tankfuls) The injectors cleaned up and with close to 500K miles on the engine still were using the original injectors.

While Top-Tier diesel is available, it certainly is more difficult to find. When it comes to gasoline though, you should be able to depend on the Major Brands that are on the Top-Tier list to actually be the improved blends with the chemical cleaners that thay say are in it.
When local stations "advertise" and display the Major Brand name, you should be able to depend on the fact you are getting what you're paying for. In my mind, anything less is false advertising!

It's true, all gasoline comes from the same refinery. The difference comes when the fuel is loaded into the induvidual tankers for delivery to your local stations. The additive is then added to the individual tanker-truck. When your local station orders fuel from the tank-farm without those additives that make up that Major Brand, he's robbing his customers.
IT'S PLAIN TO SEE THAT ANYBODY THAT CAN PUT THAT MANY MILES ON VEHICLES OVER THE YEARS HAS BEEN GIFTED WITH "PLENTY OF GRAVEY " FOR HIS POTATOES ! :wink2: LIKE YOU STATED THEY ADD TO TANKER. OTHER THAN THERE WORD WONDER HOW MANY TIMES WE DONT GET WHAT WE PAY FOR. I USUALLY PUT NAME BRAND IN BIKE WHEN AVAILABLE . DO THROW SEAFOAM IN ABOUT EVERY 20,000 MILES NO ISSUES WITH INJECTORS . 211,000 ON VAN AND OVER 250,000 ON WINGS . THANKS FOR INPUT

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My BS meter pegged when I saw ARCO and 76 were on the top tier list. My guess, it's fee based; anyone who pays is on the list, and those who do not pay are not on the list. Has nothing to do with the gasoline. JMHO
Oh Ye of little fath, Joe... :crying:

When local stations "advertise" and display the Major Brand name, you should be able to depend on the fact you are getting what you're paying for. In my mind, anything less is false advertising![/COL
[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
If you are a branded store and get caught selling anything but branded you won't be branded much longer. Also to be branded you must sell X number of gallons per month. So it is to your benefit to sell branded product.[/QUOTE]
You would hope so, Ratster, but when you ask (not the shift manager) the station manager and they say,"NO", or they don't even know what "Top-Tier" IS, you just don't have a whole lot of fathin what they are really selling. One of the stations here in Zephyrhills recently (as in still have the temporary Shell signs up) changed from Marathan to Shell brand.

IT'S PLAIN TO SEE THAT ANYBODY THAT CAN PUT THAT MANY MILES ON VEHICLES OVER THE YEARS HAS BEEN GIFTED WITH "PLENTY OF GRAVEY " FOR HIS POTATOES ! :wink2: LIKE YOU STATED THEY ADD TO TANKER. OTHER THAN THERE WORD WONDER HOW MANY TIMES WE DONT GET WHAT WE PAY FOR. I USUALLY PUT NAME BRAND IN BIKE WHEN AVAILABLE . DO THROW SEAFOAM IN ABOUT EVERY 20,000 MILES NO ISSUES WITH INJECTORS . 211,000 ON VAN AND OVER 250,000 ON WINGS . THANKS FOR INPUT
I keep a bottle of Chevron Techtron Injector Cleaner in the bike for those occasions when I can't find a Major Brand station or when I run low and have to buy Brand X. Sometimes when Riding with a group and they stop at what they think is 'better-buy' gas, I'll dump in a few oz of Techtron so as not insisting their gas isn't good enough. I did that once a couple of years ago on a trip to the UP with a local group of GWRRA members and 'got left'. I don't Ride with them anymore... >:)

·
Registered
5,761 Posts

One more thing to worry about.:surprise:

Let me think: was my last gas fill-up "top tier"? Or should I hold out and hope the next gas station is "top tier"?:confused:

What to do, what to do?:rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure I know where that sign is!!:) I'm usually suckin' fumes on the other end, brand name gas or not.

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've never heard of top-tier fuel until this post. I run ethanol free in the bike as much as I can. Over 500,000 miles on my last two work vans running 87 octane gas ( Wawa, Speedway etc ) and no problems so I'm not going to tell them about top-tier now. lol:grin2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts