GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be going to the dark side, will have to take my tire off and have the RF installed. What torque will I need to re-install the lug bolts on the rear wheel?

looking forward to going cross country with my neighbor who will be doing the same (dark side)

Thanks

JC

·
Registered
833 Posts
80 ft/lbs according to my 07 Manual

·
Registered
267 Posts
I read that you do a 20, 40, 60 then 80.

·
Registered
452 Posts
80 ft/lbs...and use a torque wrench! I like to go three steps (40, 60, 80) in a star pattern.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Ooops I did mine at 90

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
When you really need to get anal :bow:

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
Before applying any significant torque, go finger snug to center the rim on the studs. They are self centering, but as long as we are going to so much trouble, we may as well go whole hog.

prs

·
Registered
239 Posts
Make sure you get them tight, if you don't they will loosen up and the studs will break off. Don't ask me how I know.:banghead:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Before applying any significant torque, go finger snug to center the rim on the studs. They are self centering, but as long as we are going to so much trouble, we may as well go whole hog.

prs
The wheel itself is self centering at the hub as are auto wheels. Any wheel should be torqued in a cross pattern shown above, nothing anal about that. You are not applying torque to aluminum because the wheels have steel inserts at the lug nuts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts