GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all who responded to my ? about Torque Masters. I didn't know enough about the subject to ask the correct ?. I was seeking info on the Torque Loopz by Torque Master. That leads to the ? has anyone tried the combination of the LOOPZ AND mufflers. Their add says that the Loopz eliminates the droning that was mentioned by several replies to my previous post.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
The TorqLopz DOES eliminate the droninng. I added them to my AlleyKats and the difference was substantial. It didn't get louder just eliminated the drone. May have even gotten a little quiter but a better more pleaseing sound.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have the Torquemaster mufflers and I really like them.
They had a little drone for the first 1000 mi, but either I
got used to it or they quited down. They make it sound
like a sports car exhaust. I did not use the optional baffles.

Somebody posted on here that the tourque loops were difficult to install.
Something about cutting the OEM crossover & catylitic converter and they
could not be replaced. I could not find the post.
Maybe someone that installed them can answer better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have both the Loopz and the mufflers with 45* turn-outs. These have permanent baffles (more or less) in the tips. The combination is good. I used the mufflers for about 1000 miles before I got to installing the Loopz. The combination sounds "just right" to me. At freeway speeds there is a slight drone, but that doesn't bother me or my riding partner - of course, it takes a whole lot to get under the skin of my 10-year-old grandson :p .

Installing the Loopz was a bit of a challenge. The mesh steel pipe gasket is the same as the stock gaskets used on the GL1500 mufflers. REMEMBER THAT PIECE OF INFORMATION - it will come in handy when you need to replace the gaskets after shop service, etc. The gaskets wouldn't completely seal between the cut-down header pipe and the Loopz, so I finally wound up welding the Loopz to the header pipes - after grinding the chrome back, of course. That cured the slight exhaust blow back and exhaust gas odor when engine breaking. It seems that under power load, the venturi effect inside the pipe drew fresh air in through the leaky gaskets; but gases would leak out under no-load conditions.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
This topic was my first inquiry when I got my Wing...pipe and sounds!...

I have yet heard a "motorcycle" sound come out of a Wing under any modifications to date...I have heard some that sound like a perpetual fart, others that sound sort like a Porsche and other that produce a loud drone...

I have heard a couple of crouch rocket go by me that, if I could make my Wing sound like that, I would do it just for the fun of it...otherwise, the peace and quiet of the stock seems to me more favorable than all the other "wannabe" incompetent sounds schemes being sold in the Wingabego market. The worse is that Cobra pipe...it just produces a ridiculous drone sound for nearly 500 bucks...absurd!

·
Registered
309 Posts
First of all, let me qualify this by saying my other Honda Six, a Valk, sounds pretty darn good with the Two Brother's Six/Six pipes.. kind of like a short block when you get on it.

Now, for starters, on the 1800, I think the first thing that you would have to do on the way to "the sound" is do eliminate the hodge-podge of stuff under the engine... I guess that would be the catalytic converters. Those provide a three-into-one sound on each side which is not particularly appealing before ever getting to the mufflers. Torque Loops would resolve this particular issue.

I had the same problem, BTW, on a C5 Corvette. Sounded like crap until the cats came off <for a while>.

After the cats are gone, the Torque Masters or Alley Cats might produce a more "appealing" noise... or not. That would still be a 6-to-2 exhaust system... which I never found appealing on the Valk... even with glass packs.

As of last weekend, I am now back to stock pipes... have removed the TM Daytonas. I kind of like hearing the radio. :wink:

Finally, you will never get six 300cc cylinders to sound like two 700+cc cylinders on a single-pin crank shaft. It's just not going to happen.

·
Registered
501 Posts
glennd369 asked about the Torquemaster and gets answer from a guy that puts a car tire on his motorcyle complaining about an exhaust he never used. Thanks for your usless advice...How about some useful info on Torqueloops for the guy.

I think I will go for a ride and listen to my Torquemasters..........

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Hey bonehead,
I was never complaining, I simply said what I have heard others sound like and stated my opinion...I am not complaining about something I ain't never had...I am glad you like your torquemaster...dont take my no liking them personally...I wish I had some other sound, I just dont like the one available and like the previous poster said, I doubt anyone can make this engine sound like a twin pot

I never gave an answer to anyone for anything...I am here simply conversing bean head

1 - 8 of 8 Posts