GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic, not even close. I had a friend install the all balls on my 02. He set the torque/tightness by the pull on the wheel. The first ride there was no shake, for the first 15 miles, then it got worse than when it had the original bearings. He kept the bike to retorque. When I got it back he said the nut was quite loose,more than a half turn, so he retightened, again by the pull on the wheel. Today was the first time I had a chance to ride, at 45 on decell, the bars were tank slappers. My question is should they be torqued to a specific ammount or to the pull? And should the wheel be on or off the ground to do the job? Will I cause any permanant damage if I ride until I can get back to him?

·
Registered
118 Posts
25 FT/LBS is the final torque.

Sounds like he didn't 'seat' the bearings before the final torque.
When installed the bearings need to be set... I use25 ft/lbs and rotate the bars from lock to lock several times-at least 5 full lock to lock rotations.
Then back off the adjuster nut and retorque to 25ft/lbs again. I set the front tire so it is just barely touching the ground. So you can push hard on the tire and rotate it.

Then, using a NEW lock washer, I snug down the lock nut by hand till it won't turn any more. Then I tighten it to the next notch and bend the lock tabs. Torque on the top nut (on top of the upper triple clamp) is 72 ft/lbs.

HTH

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like the bearings were not fully seated the first time and maybe now. The should be set to about 22 ft/lb. But you can also go buy the feel of the front wheel. The Honda Manual says to do it by using a scale and it should take a couple pounds "don't remember the number" of pull to turn the wheel. I like the 22 ft/lb better. Over tighten them first to be sure they are seated then back off then reset to 22lb. BTW some bikes need a little more than others.

Hope this helps.

Bing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts