GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why a circle? Why not just a cat and H pipe bypass?

I see no HP or T gains by forcing the exhaust gasses to go around in a circle before exiting out the muffler.

Someone know something I don't?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
????

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
???? ok now I am asking ???????

The T tube forces the exhaust 360 degrees prior to dumping it into the muffler.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
On what?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes those. They are for the 1800, why the 360 degrees?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Because they are like your original post, it makes the rest of us go round and round to figure out what you are torquing about :thumbup:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Everything I've read about those is that they are snake oil...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Well, the "360 degress" is obviously meant to send you into a "loop" and confuse you into giving them money. The description of the Torque Loopz says:

"Torq Loopz replace the Catalyzers and Crossover tube allowing the GL1800 to develop the Torque and HP designed into it by the Honda Engineers. You can expect up to 107 ft/lbs torque & 103 HP with the Loopz and Torq Master Muffler Pipes system."

So they don't do anything more than what Honda engineers already designed into the GL1800!!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I am not crazy by asking, what is the point?

I am all for CAT and H pipe elimination, but not understanding why not just make a straight pipe.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because they are like your original post, it makes the rest of us go round and round to figure out what you are torquing about :thumbup:
Sorry. Thought they were common knowledge here.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
You can buy their mufflers w/o adding the loopz...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, people know about "Torq Loopz", but that's quite a leap from "Torque Tubes". Therefore, I think you can probably tell that they are not a "common upgrade".

I would think they'd be on everyone's wish list if the Dyno plots could be verified/trusted.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you add the loops without adding the mufflers? I have the sound I want from messing with the stockers.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My guess is to help keep proper back pressure in your exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Long gone are the days where back pressure was/is needed for an engine.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Mabye the intent is create a longer exhaust system, hence affecting exhaust tuning.
Bingo!

Everywhere there is a diameter change inside the pipes creates a pulse reversion (where the pressure pulse changes directions). These reversion are "timed" with the over-lap period of the intake/exhaust cam openings. There it requires a "tuned" length for proper reversion timing. The tuned length is not the same at all RPM ranges therefore they just shoot for an average range. It was easier to accomplish this on race-bikes as it is generally in one RPM range....WFO. Whether or not the TorqLoops are the right length is the question.

Ever seen a bike running without air cleaners and there is a "fuel fog" hovering several inches behind the mouth or opening of the carbs??? That is caused by pulse reversion. Not only is it tunable on the exhaust side but also on the intake tract, as well...but much harder to adjust on the other side of the intake valve, especially with fuel injected bikes. The whole idea is to "draft" a fuel/air mixture in the chamber at a greater than atmospheric pressure (poor man's super charger).

Ever seen a "reverse cone" megaphone on a bike? The reverse cone is suppose to prevent the "reversion" or pressure pulse from re-entering the exhaust tract.

No exhaust system has ever needed "back-pressure".

Z

1 - 19 of 19 Posts