GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the torque value for the bolts that hold on the front/rear rotors? I have the service manual but can't seem to find it. I think I read someplace 15lbs but not sure.

thanks
Burt

·
Vendor
18,082 Posts
It is 15 ft/lbs. The torque spec is listed in the wheel replacement section of FRONT WHEEL/SUSPENSION/STEERING section of a Honda Service manual.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The torque values for the rotors is under the wheel assembly section last page for the Torque Table. Wheel disc torque value is 15 foot pounds. In my 2005 shop manual it is on page 448.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The torque values for the rotors is under the wheel assembly section last page for the Torque Table. Wheel disc torque value is 15 foot pounds. In my 2005 shop manual it is on page 448.
Yep I went back and looked again, and sure enough there it was.

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Locktite those bolts Fred

Billy

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Opinions vary, but Loctite fricks up the torque, so 15ft/lb can result in snapped bolts, or worse yet snapped bolts next time they are removed, then all the trouble of trying to remove broken bolts stuck. Just tighten dry to 15ft/lb is my advice. Anyone had these bolts fall off while riding? Never, if torqued to 15ft/lb.
My opinion is Loctite is very rarely advisable.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Fluke, that is just your opinion. The loctite is on the threads and the friction is on the head of the bolt where it meets the surface of the item. A drop of blue on the tip of the bolt thread usually doesn't affect the mating surface.

·
Vendor
18,082 Posts
Possibly here is where the confusion comes in. Honda wants 15ft/lbs with new ALOC bolts that has their own red lock tight on them when new. For 5th gens, Honda's ALOC bolts can come with a blue (low strength), red (med. strength), or green (high strength) lock tight that's already installed. However, since the rotor bolts come out with red on the threads, many will reinstall using an aftermarket red lock tight ... probably the Permatex brand, and for that brand, red is high strength. Apparently there is no SAE standard on lock tight color, because in the Honda brand, Hondalock2, theirs is red and medium strength, not a red high strength like the aftermarket stuff.

The take away ... anytime one steps in to the aftermarket world, additional research and study, may be required. To make things more confusing, sometimes the research and study is required each time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts