GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms like, What oil you use?. LOL
I'm looking at getting a foot lbs and inch lbs, torque wrenches. I've looked thinking about Tekton torque
Wrenches.
What do you have in your took box and pros and cons?
Thanks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a couple Craftsman torque wrenches that were on sale at Sears quite a few years ago. My Craftsman torque
wrenches are the click type.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I never cared for the "beam" type . I use Snap On click type for most of my needs. I purchased a couple used Snap On Dial type as well. Not often I use them, but have them for setting bearing preload on pinion and differential carrier bearings (automotive).
Now they have electronic wrenches with digital readouts and beeps . Maybe I should move into the new century ;)

Also torque wrenches are not loaner tools. I dont need a "friend " to barrow one and then find out they use it as a breaker bar.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I've read good reviews about Harbor Freight torque wrenches. For home shop occasional use I believe they would serve well. I personally like click stop torque wrenches and I like CDI (a Snap-On company) torque wrenches, but I have a Gear Wrench, a Craftsman, a MAC Tools, and CDI torque wrenches. The plastic locking mechanism broke on the Craftsman wrench, but it is still functional. With any torque wrench it is important that after you use it you reset it at the lowest torque setting and to exercise it at the desired setting before using it particularly if the wrench hasn't been used in awhile. I do this by first adjusting the wrench to the desired torque setting, then placing the drive end in a vise and work the wrench back and forth a couple of times.

Reactions: WY88 and Hoopdc

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Craftsman

I have and used Craftsman for several years. They serve me well... :grin2:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Honestly, I have had craftsman and they work fine for my home auto and motorcycle repair needs but I now have the Harbor Freight click torque wrenches ( ft and inch lbs). they work fine too. I have never found fault with the wrenches. I have never stripped a bolt or nut with one and have used it on internal shock parts ( some of which are pretty sensitive). That's my 411 on the topic.

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
I have all Snap-On. I still have, but now rarely use a 1/4" inch drive click type. Recently it was sent off for calibration. I also have a newer 1/2" drive foot pound click type. I use that one for a couple of 136 fl/lbs torques when assembling engines. I also have their newer electronic digital 1/4" drive inch pound and 3/8" drive foot pound torque wrenches. The nice part about using Snap-Ons is they can all do reverse torque. On the 1/2" drive and the 3/8" drive I have to have that. Often the cheap torque wrenches cannot do that.

Whatever some gets, use it carefully. Recently one of my chapter members was torquing with a cheap torque wrench, and the bolt stretched and broke. Another problem with cheaper torque wrench is that the ratchet part can slip, and you might bust a knuckle.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I really like the snap on Blue Point digital, since 99% of the time all I need is 13-135nm (10-100ft lbs) , I chose the digital 3/8”. It’s super convenient to be able to switch between ft-lbs to nm. I’ve had mine for years it’s been a great tool to have.

http://www.snapon-bluepoint.com.sg/...ype/product/COMPUTORQ-3-Digital-Torque-Wrench

I have lots of Hatbor Frieght professional series wrenches along with gear wrench but having a high quality digital torque wrench is really nice and well worth it. As Others have stated ether way you need to have a feel for torque and dont over do it, 20nm is not much, don’t over do it on 8mm to 10mm head bolts even with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Snap-on TechAngle Bs for me.

Reactions: Ozone1

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I'm a tool junkie and have about 10 different torque wrenches. You need at least two and possibly three for motorcycle work, a good 1/4" that measures up to about 20ft/lb and a 3/8 that measures up to 100ft/lb, rarely a 1/2" but good to have one that measures up to 250ft/lb.
As to brand and style, most brands are probably OK but I would look for Taiwan made wrenches if you want to stay low cost, and USA preferably, not China.I like the Techangle electronic wrenches a lot, but they are not cheap. CDI click type work good and are relatively low price. Dial type of any brand are too bulky for use. The split beam wrenches are really nice too. Snap On, CDI or Prcecision Instruments.
I would opt for split beam over regular spring type. Good 3/8 at a good price. You still need a 1/4" though.
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Instruments-PREC2FR100F-Wrench-Torque/dp/B000YOX568

·
Registered
316 Posts
I do this by first adjusting the wrench to the desired torque setting, then placing the drive end in a vise and work the wrench back and forth a couple of times.
I'll also add that if you do not have a heated garage, to not do any torque-important work in the winter. I wrecked a cam bolt using a click-style torque wrench at like 40F (I had a space heater going).

For wrenches, i have mostly Craftsman click-style and one AC-Delco electric that recently gave up the ghost (lasted 3 years).

·
Registered
88 Posts
My two Harbor Freight, a 1/4" and 1/2" work fine but granted I only use them 4 or 5 times a year. The post above about exercising them was interesting. I never thought of that.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Search youtube Harbor Freight vs Snap on. Pretty informative and entertaining. Then read the comments of all the butthurt snap on fans.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Full set of SnapOn CDI electronic wrenches (not the TechAngle) covers about anything I need to do on the bike or Vette. And nope, they don't get loaned out. Got cured of that by loaning out my 1/2 and 3/8 Craftsman click style wrenches to a neighbor and he returned them nice and clean in the case. Went to use them 6 months later and both were left on the highest setting. They were effectively junk. Too expensive to calibrate for the replacement cost. I never even asked him to pay for calibration but he got upset about it anyway and thought I was nuts when I told him they were stored improperly. He hardly speaks to me now.

SSNCOB was kind enough to calibrate them for me when he lived near Detroit and I ended up selling one to another neighbor, a GL1800 owner.

Johnny S

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms like, What oil you use?. LOL
I'm looking at getting a foot lbs and inch lbs, torque wrenches. I've looked thinking about Tekton torque
Wrenches.
What do you have in your took box and pros and cons?
Thanks.
While I do not have any Tekton torque wrenches, I do have other equipment and hand tools made by Tecton and they seem to be of very good quality. Based on that I would not be afraid to buy one. I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts