GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every fall -- consistently -- as the temps start to drop, shifting becomes difficult on my '05 until I flush and change the clutch fluid. That's usually 10 - 15K miles between servicing. The bleeder valve is always slightly "damp" with fluid which could be left over from the previous year's change, but I'm guessing not really -- the valve surely seeps or weeps fluid, eventually allowing enough air to get into the line to cause a problem.

Servicing (with fresh Honda brand h-fluid) always results in a like-new feeling clutch.

I've never torqued a bleeder valve. I just "snug" them up pretty good, which tells you nothing, I know. But none of my brake bleeder valves weep or seep fluid -- on this Wing or my previous bikes.

So my questions: does anyone really torque a bleeder valve? Would the clutch bleeder valve be more prone to leak due to the constant heat from the engine? I suppose the bleeder valve could be slightly defective from the factory? Why would cooler weather cause this problem to become evident?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Not really. Snug is right. I say change the bleeder unit, wipe it totally dry when done and put some silicone grease in the rubber cver cap before seating it.

prs

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
If it's leaking around the threads, you can put either teflon tape or some light duty threadlock on it. That should help seal it. Matter of fact, it makes for more effective bleeding if using a vacuum pump.

If it's leaking from the valve opening, get a new one and see above.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Can't be leaking at the treads... The taper (sealing point) is down below the thread area...
Possibly a defective bleeder or the bleeder seat... When you find the problem starting to happen is the fluid level low ??? If not then not likely it's a leak problem... It kinda sounds like your seals are getting hard or there is contamination in the area of the slave cylinder...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If the bleed nipple is not seating, there are repair seats and nipples available.
Have to know the thread size and the new assembly screws in to the existing threads with thread lock and a somewhat smaller bleed nipple fits into that.

Napa would have them.

·
Vendor
18,154 Posts
I'd replace the bleeder. I don't torque them either but do a tight snug. It is the taper and the softer aluminum seat that seals them.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope not leaking around the threads. The middle of the valve is "wet." Sounds like a replacement valve is in order this winter.

Thanks again for the feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts