GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I picked up my 2008 wing yesterday. I've been on a VTX 1300 for about 5 years. When I purchased my X it had 1200 mile on it... Now it's somewhere in the 40,000 range.

First impression was "where the &^%$ do my feet go? Yes, I did find the pegs, but wow are they different. I must have kicked the faring somewhere around a half dozen times before finding them, but i got there...

My first (really second) turn was a complete disaster. Foot down. That' s not OK with me. I took my license test on my X after I'd had it about 1 week. The fact that I can't see my front wheel is really, really bothering me. I don't know how to fix this, I just know that I have to.

OK. Back to the beginning. First ride was about 180 miles in the wet. Not really raining the entire time but wet. My wonderful wife (who I was following as I didn't get the GPS version) decided to stop somewhere around 3/4 of the way through to make sure that I wasn't cold (seriously... Thank you). After a few additional UTurns we finally found a place to eat.

At this point I'm amazed. I'm not wet. I've been riding in the rain for about 140 miles. That's a bit ridiculous. If I had been on my X I would have been soaked...

Enough with my negatives. The power band on the wing is ridiculous. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in... A twist of the throttle is go fast...

I'm pretty sure that the transmission is made of fluffy bunnies. It shifts so smoothly that I can't imagine it being made of anything but fluffy bunnies.

i don't mean to say tha t it doesn't shift, I just mean that it is ridiculously smooth.

Being a noob i also made sure to set it on it's side to make sure that I could get it back upl I wasn't happy about this, but i did do it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
LOL! Loved the fluffy bunnies comment! :)

Enjoy the ride!

Bob

·
Registered
212 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!! Best bike on the planet. You'll get used to the full faring and not seeing the wheel and won't even think about it after a few rides. Good luck and congrats!:congrats:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
:congrats: on the new ride. It only gets better!

That has to be the first time I have heard the GL1800 transmission described as smooth. :wrong:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:congrats: on the new ride. It only gets better!

That has to be the first time I have heard the GL1800 transmission described as smooth. :wrong:
Wow... Seriously. I tend to short shift the X a bit to "pop" the transmission, but was absolutely amazed by the the fact that I could pull off a no clutch shift without even hearing (or feeling) a "clunck" on the shift.

I guess everything is relative. I've not been on anything but the X, so maybe other things are nicer, but I'm cluless :)

The Wing has so far amazed me. It's like you think about what you want to do and the bike takes you there. I was frightened by all if the buttons, but figured out that they are there as the rider needs something to do.

This bike is sooooooo easy to ride that all you need to do is think about what you want, and there you are :D.

jasonh

·
Registered
543 Posts
The Wing has so far amazed me. It's like you think about what you want to do and the bike takes you there. I was frightened by all if the buttons, but figured out that they are there as the rider needs something to do.

This bike is sooooooo easy to ride that all you need to do is think about what you want, and there you are :D.

jasonh
After 2 years and almost 30k miles I still feel the same way. :thumbup:

Congrats on the new ride and hope you have many great years with it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It is an amazing bike and this is a great forum to get info on it. There are lots of things to do to enhance your wing for your particular riding style/intention, but is it a great bike straight out of the box. Enjoy!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:Enjoy
It is an amazing bike and this is a great forum to get info on it. There are lots of things to do to enhance your wing for your particular riding style/intention, but is it a great bike straight out of the box. Enjoy!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
814 Posts
"I'm pretty sure that the transmission is made of fluffy bunnies. It shifts so smoothly that I can't imagine it being made of anything but fluffy bunnies."

You must have got the "fluffy bunny transmission" model - I guess its what you are used to - I find shifting to be somewhat clunky and not smooth on mine. Great bike though - I have had mine for 3 years and I still get excited when I take it out for a ride.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
congrats on the new world!
You don't have to worry about seeing thw front wheel,it'll go where ya look.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Don't worry 'bout the front wheel, look where you WANT to go, that's where the Wing'll take you. Alas, I too did not get the fluffy bunny transmission...mine clunks! (Must be an option, huh?) Great bike though, and I really enjoy mine!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I came from a 1300 X, too, and adapted to the Wing in no time. You will, too. The riding position on the Wing is really better for riding long distances and puts you in a better position for riding in the twisties, once you learn how to man-handle the Wing (apologies to all the lady riders).

I had Cobra Slash-Cut Slip-on's on my X and it was loud. I love the smoothness and the stealth of the Wing.

Enjoy your new bike! Congrats from the Shenandoah Valley!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. :thumbup:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Great post man - welcome here and congrats on the wing.

I also have a twin in the stable and compared to that, the Wing's transmission feels very delicate..

The Wing is indeed an amazing motorcycle - it does pretty much everything very well IMO.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Fluffy Binnies?!?!? LMAO :wrong:
The riding position is different than a cruiser, as you found out. It is OK when you get used to it, just don't fight it too much, it will be misery. I found out the hard way after cruisers for so long. There are relocation kits, but if you can handle the stance, go for it. I think it is a bit better that way, but had to opt for the relocation route because of bad knees and long ineam.

Turning the bars and the fairing not moving rattled me for a while, but got used to that quickly. Seeing the front wheel? Sorry, not help there, I never looked at it or it didn't register, not sure.

:congrats: Ont the ride and I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fluffy bunnies! VTX riders are used to stomping on our big clunky square cut gears so that's the perfect way to describe the Goldwing.

:agree:

After a few rides you'll wonder how you ever rode anything else. No really. :thumbup:

And if you don't have them already, get some highway pegs. They make transition to the Wing's sportbike sitting position a lot easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts