GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for the video and details. So fatigue will take its told over time... the only real solution is a stainless steel spindle to replace the aluminum spindle that is there...

EDIT: LOL you mentioned that at 17:25... I had not finished watching the video when I made the comment.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
That seems to be quite a weakness in the original design.

If you replace the spindle assembly with stainless, how do you keep the stainless from corroding the surrounding aluminum? Are they separated somehow?

Reactions: Max McAllister

·
Vendor
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the video and details. So fatigue will take its told over time... the only real solution is a stainless steel spindle to replace the aluminum spindle that is there...

EDIT: LOL you mentioned that at 17:25... I had not finished watching the video when I made the comment.
We should have a direct replacement part available in about a week.

·
Vendor
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems to be quite a weakness in the original design.

If you replace the spindle assembly with stainless, how do you keep the stainless from corroding the surrounding aluminum? Are they separated somehow?
The spindle only touches the hardened steel inner bearing races. It does not touch the frame.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I haven't watched the video, but just looking at the topic header this appears to be a huge liability and recall issue for Honda.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
From what I understand from Max's information and Honda's own service bulletin GL1800 #23 this is unique to the 2018 models only?
Way less than that.... it’s unique to 2018’s with confirned loose steering.

From the Bullitin:
”Only 2018 GL1800 model motorcycles with a confirmed loose handlebar are affected by this bulletin.”

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

You'd need to choose your grade of stainless carefully, stainless steel is not particularly good at cyclic loading. I'd be using a piece of tool steel.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Have you considered using aluminium? I hear that's what the Brits use instead of aluminum...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts