GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums and did not find the information I needed. Had some road debris kick up in heavy traffic (road gator) and took some of the silver paint off the lower body panel below the fog light. Does anyone out there know what paint code this may be? I did some Internet searches and can only find touch up for main body colors. Cant seem to locate one for these bottom pieces.

I could buy a new piece but thats kind of a waste and I could just pick up a “close enough” spray can of silver but if it does not match exactly, I will see it every time I see the bike and it will drive my OCD nuts.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Depends on the year. Honda shows NH167mu and NH 168m. Colorite does not show these 2 colors though. You could try going to an auto body supply and have them scan the lower cowl (you may have to take it off and carry it in). Some places can even put it in a spray can for you. You'll probably have to paint the entire part though to get a perfect all around match. Paint fades over time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a place here that will mix your paint and put it in a spray can and I thought of the option using a paint code. I’ll give them a call and see if they can scan the part. My other option may be to take the piece and have the whole thing sprayed but I’m afraid the cost between that and just buying a new one may be close enough to not make painting the entire piece worth while.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
On the Black Knight (2002), I found a rattle can color that matched very well. I believe it was one of the plastic friendly primer/ finish types by Krylon or maybe Rustoleum. I lightly buffed the whole lower center cowl with 00 and then 000 steel wool, wiped with mineral spirits, wiped with 90% isopropyl before spraying the damaged area generally once or twice before giving the whole piece a single coat. I did not even clear coat it (wanted to ride). Looks OE new since AND I am a lousy painter in general.

prs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts