GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm 13 months in on my DCT Tour with no problems! I'm constantly amazed how great this bike is and how my other tour bikes which I once liked now don't seem to measure up to the GL.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Only problem for me damm thing keeps running out of gas!!!

LOL

Mattbcnv
Me too.:surprise: Also people keep telling me what a great looking bike it have. (Total strangers)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Speaking of gas, (Yes, I wrote to Mr. Honda and the Emperor of Japan about this "refilling the tank" issue that the dealer never disclosed to me!)
I do on average 55mpg but again I only ride for pleasure at high altitude (>6000ft) and I use ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am not that far off on the MPG front. I rarely do interstate travel and use ethanol free as well. I typically average around 52MPG. I do notice in cooler temps around 40 degrees F I will drop off to around 49-50 MPG

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I wasnt going to say anything to this but I cant help myself ! Evidently you have a comprehension problem and or didnt read the 20 preceding posts. Go back to the beginning post and read them slowly and pay attention ; especially to the MILEAGE. Or are you just a trouble making troll ????? :crying:
Maybe you should have stuck with your original gut feeling... :roll:

Only 11 posts before his, not 20. Only 2 of them mentioned mileage and another asked basically the same question about mileage. The two people he was addressing never mentioned mileage. Looks like you're comprehending stuff that isn't there. :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
In February will be 2 years since I had my Tour DCT with zero problems or disappointments.
If I add my previous Honda touring bike , it's 5 years of pure riding joy.
But I admit I don't commute with the bike, I don't do much interstates or freeways , I ride all year around mostly mountain and canyon roads for the joy of riding.

Thank you Honda!
May will be 2 years for me, no regrets here.
I wasnt going to say anything to this but I cant help myself ! Evidently you have a comprehension problem and or didnt read the 20 preceding posts. Go back to the beginning post and read them slowly and pay attention ; especially to the MILEAGE. Or are you just a trouble making troll ????? :crying:
These are the first two post I referred to and I don’t see any mention of mileage. The next quote is from anotherone stating my lack of comprehension of the first two posts. I think maybe I’m the one that found a troll.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I’m about to hit 2000 miles on my wing in about 2 months time. Been running 89 octane non ethanol. Since ownership and averaging 50+ mph depending on the mood I’m in with the throttle. A new station in town just opened and is offering 93 ultimate non ethanol fuel that I’m gonna fill soon as I run the current tank out of 89. Anybody running this high of octane fuel?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
best bike ever (only issue I have had is the hill start flashing light - 10 minute warranty fix at the dealer)

ps: Max will hate this post, he believes this bike as so many issues :)

·
Registered
18,687 Posts
Two years of JOY in February also. Had right TIE ROD replaced under warranty due to slight deceleration wobble at 45 mph with hands off bars. I may be concerned that with rubber bushings this is a wear item. In that case I may use the TRAXXION solution

·
Registered
64 Posts

Up until this point I count 9 posts saying they have owned the bike with no problems that don't mention any mileage and 4 posts that do mention mileage.

Saying you have owned a bike for X number of years with no problems is meaningless without saying how many miles you have put on the bike in that time period.

I agree with @Fster tell us how many miles you rode in those two years.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Up until this point I count 9 posts saying they have owned the bike with no problems that don't mention any mileage and 4 posts that do mention mileage.

Saying you have owned a bike for X number of years with no problems is meaningless without saying how many miles you have put on the bike in that time period.

I agree with @Fster tell us how many miles you rode in those two years.

I see in your signature "I don't have a Gold Wing"....welcome to my "ignore list" >:)

·
Registered
395 Posts
In February will be 2 years since I had my Tour DCT with zero problems or disappointments.
If I add my previous Honda touring bike , it's 5 years of pure riding joy.
But I admit I don't commute with the bike, I don't do much interstates or freeways , I ride all year around mostly mountain and canyon roads for the joy of riding.

Thank you Honda!
Sounds great !!! Good for you !! But, what really matters is not the years, but the mileage. How many miles on your bike ?? THAT'S the real barometer.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Time to step back and take a deep breath. Derogatory posts are going to get deleted.
Derogatory posts ??? Where ?? I've read through ALL the posts on this thread and I don't see a HINT of 'derogatory."

I ask for two reasons. One, I'm just curious. And two, I've been given warnings ( not sure by which admin ) about some of my comments that were deemed 'offensive' or some other 'PC' reason when I all I did was state FACTS.

Sorry................one may WANT to change facts...............but, one CAN'T.

·
Administrator
4,099 Posts
Confucius say: "always have facts straight before posting comments on 1800 board".
The reason you DON'T SEE any derogatory posts is, as MM says, they're DELETED.
And BTW, I was the mod that gave you the warning, as I believe you knew.

·
Registered
348 Posts
22 months and 18,500 miles on my 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. No problems, complaints or gripes. Bridgestone tires changed at 13,500 with approximately 1mm of wear left above the bars. Compared to my 2004, with which I alternate rides, the 2018 seems downright svelte and has all the performance I want. I haven't switched out of TOUR mode for the past year; I'll have to try the other modes again if I can remember to. I occasionally change gears manually whilst in AUTO, but not all that often; the transmission always seems to be in the right gear for what I'm doing. Or maybe I'm getting old and slow. The Honda engineers out-did themselves with the software package in my opinion. But one has to learn its performance characteristics, such as how it responds to different rates of throttle application. It's not reasonable to complain it's not like __________ , your previous bike. Of course it isn't. It was designed to be different.

I've even come to terms with the infotainment system as I've slowly come to learn its quirks and foibles. I think that was steepest learning curve of all.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Mileage may be a good tool for measurement but what does mileage say as a tool when the DCT craps the bed with under 300 miles?

How about manufacturing inconsistencies? How about lack of maintenance as a tool? Maybe how hard individuals are on their equipment? Many variables contribute to reliability.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mileage may be a good tool for measurement but what does mileage say as a tool when the DCT craps the bed with under 300 miles?

How about manufacturing inconsistencies? How about lack of maintenance as a tool? Maybe how hard individuals are on their equipment? Many variables contribute to reliability.

True,

But more people with more trouble free miles gives a good indication of a more reliable product.

Gold Wings have a reputation of giving over a hundred thousand miles without a major problem.

I bought a Dyna Low Rider from a guy. He had owned it for 6 years, told me what a great bike it was, and that it never gave him any problems. I went to look at it and the bike wouldn't start. He came way down in price and I loaded it on my trailer and brought it home. As I was doing the paper work to transfer the title I noticed the odometer had gone up just over 450 miles since he had registered it six years before. How can you make a claim about the reliability of a bike when you put 450 miles on it in 6 years?

Oh and the reason the bike wouldn't start, he had the fuel petcock turned off while trying to start it and killed the battery.

Anyhow, milages is one component in determining how reliable a bike is. I think it's important if you are going to claim trouble free ownership and reliability that you mention how many miles the bike has done.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts