GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a pair of riding boots and need the advice of those having them.
I currently wear my work boots but am tired of having to replace them due to wearing the out side edges (outer edge in about an inch) of the soles out while riding. My feet are much wider than the pegs are so I will need something with a durable if not a replaceable sole plate on the outer edges.

I am looking for a boot that will give my EEE width feet room and does not have a high arch as they kill my flat feet.

I would also like them to be water tight but able to breath. I ride in all conditions from 0 degrees to 100+ rain or shine, so I need them to be bearable in the summer months too. The winter riding I can put in my gerbing insoles for the warmth.

Thanks In advance

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Don't know about the width problem, but the cheap Vega Nitro boots feel great on my flat feet. First boot that has been as comfortable as tennis shoes for me. I've worn out three pair of the Matrix (dicontinued but still on eBay sometimes) version and presently have one pair of Matrix and another of their tour boot (for winter use). They have a flexible sole that I like. The other Vega boots I tried and returned seem to have a plastic sole that is very stiff, which tires me out before noon if I have to walk much. I can teach all day in my Matrix or tour boots. I also have a pair of Tourmaster Response (version 1) boots that after break-in have been good, but they are 3/4 boots. I have very flat feet - sound like suction cups when walking barefoot on tile.

They only come in one width, though - try a pair and see. Return if you don't like them. They are the cheapest boot in their class, but I love the way they feel!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have EEE feet also. I've found Sidi boots are a wide fitting. I have worn their boots for 15+ years. I have their Vertigo road race boots and Crossfire dirt bike boots.

I can wear these all day without feeling the need to get them off. I can wear my road race boots with or without socks, they are that comfortable. On hot track days, I usually don't wear socks as I get out of my leathers and boots, between sessions, and just slip flip flops on.

I haven't tried their touring boots, but I would imagine the sole width is similar.

·
Administrator
4,579 Posts
You might give these a try. My LEO step-son told me about them. I'm not sure of the specific model I bought, but they are water-proof, wear great, and there is no break-in period. In my experience, boots should not only give good protection, but when you arrive at your destination, it would be nice if you could actually walk/hike in them without them killing your feet. I was able to go to a local shoe store to try them on. Great boot. http://www.danner.com/boots/

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have wide feet also and agree with the Converse tactical boot. A bit stiff till they break in but very comfortable. Supposed to be waterproof and insulated. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I head for West Virginia

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I have wide feet also and agree with the Converse tactical boot. A bit stiff till they break in but very comfortable. Supposed to be waterproof and insulated. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I head for West Virginia
As for waterproof, I've never found a boot that was 100% waterproof under field conditions. But I have a tendency to be in chest deep.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am a 12 EE guy myself. I have had great results with the Danner Acadia. Very comfortable, tough, and you can walk all day in them if you want.:yes1:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
As for waterproof, I've never found a boot that was 100% waterproof under field conditions. But I have a tendency to be in chest deep.
Seabear as my other post said SUPPOSED. I'm a firm believer that my feet will get wet when I ride in the rain. I agree with nothing is waterproof. I bought them for the insulation and I don't even have that much luck with insulated boots.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
JMO

Purchased cheap Vega's which split apart after my SECOND RIDE!!! Vega distributor refused to replace them, or even sell me a new pair at true cost. Many clothing products for MC's are made in China, Pakistan, India, Indonisia, etc. but Vega seems to be the cheapest-made line: I warned you. :22yikes:

Don't know about the width problem, but the cheap Vega Nitro boots feel great on my flat feet. First boot that has been as comfortable as tennis shoes for me. I've worn out three pair of the Matrix (dicontinued but still on eBay sometimes) version and presently have one pair of Matrix and another of their tour boot (for winter use). They have a flexible sole that I like. The other Vega boots I tried and returned seem to have a plastic sole that is very stiff, which tires me out before noon if I have to walk much. I can teach all day in my Matrix or tour boots. I also have a pair of Tourmaster Response (version 1) boots that after break-in have been good, but they are 3/4 boots. I have very flat feet - sound like suction cups when walking barefoot on tile.

They only come in one width, though - try a pair and see. Return if you don't like them. They are the cheapest boot in their class, but I love the way they feel!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Tourmaster Solutions 2.0 or Alpinestars Web boot are the only wide (ish) boots I know of. I am sure there are others.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I just got a pair of these, and they are definetely waterproof. Wore them during the little rain session that Irene and the leftovers from Katia. They did good. Cheap 2. $119 list. They have a wide version so it may fit.
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=350&cat=7
They should work with the flat foot, too. My Tourmasters became very comfortable after a month or so break-in. The soles were Ok all along, but the uppers were a bit stiff at first.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am in the market for a pair of riding boots and need the advice of those having them.
I currently wear my work boots but am tired of having to replace them due to wearing the out side edges (outer edge in about an inch) of the soles out while riding. My feet are much wider than the pegs are so I will need something with a durable if not a replaceable sole plate on the outer edges.

I am looking for a boot that will give my EEE width feet room and does not have a high arch as they kill my flat feet.

I would also like them to be water tight but able to breath. I ride in all conditions from 0 degrees to 100+ rain or shine, so I need them to be bearable in the summer months too. The winter riding I can put in my gerbing insoles for the warmth.

Thanks In advance

See you out there
Smokey
Smokey,

A great boot but, widths up to EE only:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/13580?feat=506763-GN2

good luck,

snappa

·
Registered
847 Posts
the cheap Vega Nitro boots feel great on my flat feet. First boot that has been as comfortable as tennis shoes for me.
:agree: My first pair had a side zipper-pull break in about 8 weeks. The outlet I bought them from (Wingstuff) replaced them immediately with no argument or discussion. The second pair are wearing well. I also find them very comfortable to walk in. The model runs small so go up half a size. I normally wear a 10.5 so I ordered an 11 and they fit perfectly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts