GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing up the Thanksgiving weekend and thoughts are leaning towards planning next year's trip. Has anyone had experiences with tour companies in the North California region? Pashnit MC Tours looks like they have some short trips which could be balanced with shopping for the wife.
Would appreciate any input,

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Don't know of any other tour companies. Have your looked at Motorcycle Roads? http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

What portion of the Northern California are you interested in? Or perhaps the better question would be - what do you consider Northern California?

We have LOTS of great riding roads.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Fuzzy, his wife Suzi, my BIL Bill & I spent a week in NoCal this summer. We had a great time and ran some great roads. I'm sure we just touched the tip of the iceberg, but it was a great experience.

It's a relatively large file, but there's some pictures of the trip in the video summary at this link.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I live in so cal. In the last 3 years I have made 10 trips up the coast. Riding through to redwood forest is great, hit the coast and go to ft bragg. All the way from ft bragg to santa barbara is a great ride. if you have never rode from monterey to morro bay, down the one your are missing one of the best rides around. I can get from santa barbara to montery in 2.5 hours easly. pashnit is great, I have used their roads may times. the info on their turn by turn in dead on. watch for rain and alot of fog, get from stinson beach, just north of san francisco, head south over the golden gate and get the heck out of town, that town is an accident waiting to happen. once you hit monterey/santa cruz it clear sailing with lots of day trips for the wife, 17 mile drive in monterey is great. big sur, hearst castle in san simion and solvang down further. the best thing about calif is you can ride for a week slowly down the one and see everything, then hop on the 5 north and 11 hours later your at the oregon border, straight up the middle. hope this helps a little email me if you need more [email protected] good riding kevbru

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I was just up in Moterey and was disappointed to learn that you can no longer ride a motorcycle over the 17-mile drive. I guess too many loud bikes (might they maybe have been H-Ds?) got the residents in a tither. Toobad, because it's a beautiful drive. If you're a strong walker, you can do it in a day, or rent a car for a bit.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Pashnit is a great source for planning rides in NorCal. I use their site all the time and I've ridden here for a lot of years.
By the way, the 17 mile drive hasn't been open to motorcycles for at least 30 yrs, that I know of (unless you ride one of those "stealth bikes").

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife and I and another couple toured the west coast ( Portland Oregon to SD) in 1978 on a 76 wing with Calafia equipment. Don't know if will have the time to go all the way to San Diego this time.
I appreciate all the feedback, great forum!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Spent Labor day weekend on the Wing through there.Just passed through but Wine country and Napa Valley, the Silverado trail offers 3 days EASY .I highly reccomend it if you like that stuff.We will go back for sure.Rent a limo and tour the wineries!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wife and I spent 14 days in the end of July & 1st week of Aug doing all the roads from SF to Oregon and down to Reno. Some of the best riding and nice roads anywhere. Did not use a tour company rode from MN put on 8000 miles that trip. Use some of Pashnet info joined his website for $20.00 was worth it and bought a book on Cal roads that was pretty good.

·
Registered
399 Posts
KEVBRU, Man you must be on a rocket sled. Santa Barbara is 120 miles south of San Luis Obispo, I'm thirty miles north of San Luis Obispo on highway 1 and Monterey is about 140 miles north of me. How fast are you going when you do this in 2 1/2 hours?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was going 230 mph. no, just kidding, thinking back I left solvang at about 1pm and got to ragged point at about 2:30-2:45, then it was another
hour and a half or so. sorry, i was tired and now that i'm getting older- 43 now, my mind isnt as sharp, you know. if anyone does hwy one from ragged point to big sur, their is some road work and a 300 yd dirt and gravel part, just drove it 2 weeks ago. had to drive, its our 20th anniv. and we couldnt take all on the wing.....sorry for the bad info :( :( :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts