GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
grew by about 3% for 2005. This was in Motorcyclist magazine this month. Victory and others will jump into this market just like they did with the cruisers. This is good news for all of us because the manufactures will be pushing the market and bikes forward for more sales. Those companies that just sit on their behind and not improve the touring bikes they make will find there market share dropping or staying the same. While those on the front line of new and improved touring bikes will pick up market share fast.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Competition is a good thing for everyone...

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
It sure would help to put a little pressure on Honda, but don't get too excited just yet. As with everything else, pure numbers don't always tell the whole story.
First, in 2005, Harley began classifying a couple of its models as touring bikes, where previously they were all classified as cruisers. Whether the Motorcycle Industry Council (they do the numbers) goes along with that is unknown.

Second, the motorcycle industry is very fickle. In 1973 there were 1.5 million bikes sold in the US. In 1992 only 290,000. . Last year they sold 1.1 million. It is very dependent on the weather and we had a bad winter and spring last year. Although 15% is great, the increase in sales of other bikes was lower than expected. Scooter sales were up 65%!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
And remember Honda introduced the VTX1800T...as a Tourer for 2007...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I know that there is disappointment that Honda didn't come out with some radical new changes for the Goldwing this year but to assume that because they didn't they will lose market share is quite a leap.

According to Motorcyclist Magazine Touring Motorcyclists increased by 15%. That means that there were 15% more touring motorcycles bought last year. We all know that the GL1800 is accepted as the primo touring machine, the standard by which all others are measured. Regardless of what magazine comparissons say from one issue to the next, the GL1800 is accepted among that large motorcycling community as the superiour long distance touring machine. Even owners of BMW LT's and Harley Ultra's will admit that the big gorilla in a room of long distance riders is the Gold Wing.

Honda will change when they are ready to show the competitors where the next level of touring machines is going. They may very well be designing the next generation of the Goldwing right now, the GL1800 was in development for several years before anyone knew about it. In the realm of world class touring motorcyclists, Honda doesn't follow.

And you can bet that 15% increase in Touring Motorcyclists was appreciated by Honda.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is good news for all of us because the manufactures will be pushing the market

Yeah, I can see your point. Might be a bit stimulating.

But, for us as a people/nation . . . maybe . . . not such good news.

Maybe just a bit more evidence that we are becoming an older, softer, fatter people. . . . and for our children . . . that ain't good.

Even owners of BMW LT's and Harley Ultra's will admit that the big gorilla in a room of long distance riders is the Gold Wing.

Well, . . . down here . . . . I ain't never met a BMW dude who would admit such. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We try debating with them and they they hit us with the record of the BMW in the Iron Butt Rallys and other accomplishments.

Those ole boys do have a pretty good resume!!!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
We try debating with them and they they hit us with the record of the BMW in the Iron Butt Rallys and other accomplishments
You are right that not many LT owners would agree that the Wing is king, but if your BMW buddies like to use the IBR as evidence of superiority, go to the IBR website and gather some data to throw at them. Although the number of LT's entered is much higher than the Goldwing, The rate of mechanical failures on the LT was extremely high the past two rallies. If anything, it gave the bike's reputation a black eye more than anything else.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
A friend has a BMW and has about 7 or 8k on it. He is looking to get rid of it because it doesn't have a radiator. When he brought it into the dealer for work, the dealer tried to not honor the work because the bike was used in parade mode. He's now looking for a wing since hd doesn't have a radiator.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
LarryM said:
We try debating with them and they they hit us with the record of the BMW in the Iron Butt Rallys and other accomplishments
You are right that not many LT owners would agree that the Wing is king, but if your BMW buddies like to use the IBR as evidence of superiority, go to the IBR website and gather some data to throw at them. Although the number of LT's entered is much higher than the Goldwing, The rate of mechanical failures on the LT was extremely high the past two rallies. If anything, it gave the bike's reputation a black eye more than anything else.
FYI only (Not to start bashing any brands) According to stats on the IBA site the brand with the most IBA certified completions is Harley with Honda not far behind and BMW third.

Because I do not want to infringe on IBA copyrighted material (I am waiting on IBA cert of my SS1000 and do not want to make them angry :) ) I will include the website with the information.
http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/ssbbfin1. ... N=85398422

Rock On

·
Registered
634 Posts
FYI only (Not to start bashing any brands) According to stats on the IBA site the brand with the most IBA certified completions is Harley with Honda not far behind and BMW third. )

Oh, Mr. Rickster, I sort of wish you had not written the above.

These good ole boys can't/won't let such pass.

We had a nice little thread going here.

If Mr. LaMonster is good for his word and, I suspect/hope that he is . . .

pretty soon . . . events will occur that will cause him to zap this thread into a thrashy corner of cyberspace called Honda VS. Harley (whatever).

Mr. Larry M.,

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

I suspect we will try it out!! :D

The GS guys give us hell for our choice of the mighty KLR 650!!!

They crow . . . but, . . . not without some justification. The GS seems to be a hell of a bike. Just a bit heavy . . . when the getting there is done . . .

and. . . .

you are up there.

You all have a nice evening!!! :D

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
hubert, it is not my intention to ban this interesting thread to the black hole of H v. H. and I truly hope that does not happen. I was only noting the IBA stats for LD riding. In fact it appears the new bike of choice for IBA LD riders (other than the IBA rally) is the FZR 1300. Also many ST1100 and ST1300 on the rides.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Rickster said:
hubert, it is not my intention to ban this interesting thread to the black hole of H v. H. and I truly hope that does not happen. I was only noting the IBA stats for LD riding. In fact it appears the new bike of choice for IBA LD riders (other than the IBA rally) is the FZR 1300. Also many ST1100 and ST1300 on the rides.
Yeah, Mr. Rickster, we know that . . . and . . . you wrote the truth.

Been hearing good things about the FZR.

If it's good enough for Mr. Colorado Wingnutzz . . . then it would be good enough for me.

Mr. Wingnutzz implied he planned on taking his down "Oh, My God Road!!!" :lol:

I am gonna check the FZR out. Just wish it did not have the plastic fairing!!

P.S. Looks like your "list of IBA stats" is going down pretty well. :lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Rickster said:
I see alot of guys who ride the FJR's at the rallies, but I've never seen an FZR1300. Is that a new bike for Yamaha?

·
Registered
634 Posts
:oops:

I suspect Mr. Rickster made a typo . . . and . . . I just followed along.

The blue one that Mr. Wingnutzz has!!!!

FJR!!!

Sorry!!!

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I would have guessed the ST 1100 for the most bikes in the IBA...

I had always heard they were use quite often, and a good bike they are...

Maybe the HD guys are all getting the SS1000 and not much else..

I want to do the CC50/50 :shock:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
azblackbird said:
I see alot of guys who ride the FJR's at the rallies, but I've never seen an FZR1300. Is that a new bike for Yamaha?
OOOOPS, I guess this thread has been hijacked, sorry.

OOOOPS! again, Brain Fart, of course I meant the FJR, old timers disease I guess.

And KYBLUE

The first rider to ride over 30K certified miles in 30 days did it on an Ultra and 3 of the 9 to ride over 100k (as of 5-05) in a year did it on Harleys. Please no flaming me or Harley, facts is facts. :twisted:

Rock On

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I am on the LDRider mailing list and there are many threads concerning the BMW bikes as the weapon of choice for their rallies. BMWs have a bad reputation for failures of its shaft drive, some as low as 40-50,000 miles. Other than that, it is reknowned for its reliability. Being lighter in weight than a Wing, it puts less stress on the components, gets really good fuel mileage, and long mileage out of a set of tires.

The FJR-1300 is a close second in preferrence after the BMWs. I think the ST-11100/1300 has too many riders complaining about their lower body parts getting cooked by the heat off that engine. Some use the Gold Wing, especially if they are carrying a passenger.

Now, with all that said, I wouldn't trade my GL-1800 for any of those bikes, and I have several IBA certifications, all earned on a Wing, to show that it is not the bike that makes the difference. It is first and formost the rider.

These are my observations, your opinions may vary. :)

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Although many of us consider the Wing the best touring bike, it is not the best IBR bike when you consider the type of terain that is encountered. The weight plus the long wheelbase coupled with the low ground clearance make it a tough bike to handle through some of the situations encountered. Many BMW bikes are built for European country roads, which can change to gravel and dirt. Eurpoeans also ride in more inclement weather than we do. The bikes are a natural for the IBR.

Even the big Harleys handle these situations better. The Wing can't keep up with them on the all terain police training courses. Oh god, did I just typed that?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Even the big Harleys handle these situations better. The Wing can't keep up with them on the all terain police training courses.

Oh god, did I just typed that?

:shock:

Oh, God, did I just read that??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I think we are getting Endurance Riding (IronButt stuff) mixed up with Tour Riding (folks that enjoy the sites along the way, stopping to smell the roses and not just trying to stack up miles).

I'll put it in simpler terms. In every National Park we've visited over the last three years I have seen lots of Goldwings, even more Harleys, but the BMW touring bikes are pretty rare. At these National Parks I've talked to these Harley riders and most of them are within a day's ride from home or are Europeans that rented a Harley to ride across the country on their dream vacation. All of the Wing riders are on a long distance tour of America or at least the region, usually on the road for a minimum of a week. All of the BMW riders pretend they didn't hear me approach them and hurredly tuck away their McIntosh laptop and start walking away before they have to engage any social skills.

I'm glad to see that the Touring market is growing. But lets be careful about confusing Touring with Endurance. On the Wing you don't have to combine the two.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts