GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments from riders that use this jacket would be appreciated. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one and hoping that it gives me enough flexibility to only carry one jacket on tours to the mountian country. Is it warm enough for riding down in the 30's? Of course with electrics I'm sure it is.

Fred

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, I can say that I am very happy with the flex 2 jacket.

I ride the wing before the snow starts to fly fly here in the Toronto region and have been very comfortable. I just wear a sweater underneath the main outer shell and the mesh jacket. I don't even use the liner they provide.

For prolonged riding I would consider a heated vests but commuting to work is only 30 40 minutes so it's not that bad.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
We Love Ours

My wife and I got TourMaster Flex Series 2 jackets about three riding seasons ago. After a few years of using ours, we love 'em.

At ~$160 or so from NewEnough.com they are the best jackets we have ever had. The single best thing about them is the fact that they have 3 really useable "layers" if you will. This really is a "one jacket for all occassions" piece of gear because of the three layers.

When its hot out we ride with just the "middle" mesh jacket that contains the CE armor. Only if it's in the upper 80s or above AND you're stuck in stop and go traffic does the mesh jacket get a bit hot. They breath really well when moving.

Zipping on the "outer" textile layer gives much more wind protection, considerably more warmth, and pretty good rain protection as well. You've got to be riding in a pretty hard downpour for a long time before you would need any more rain gear, such as a Frogg Togg jacket.

The only time we have used the "inner" thermal liners, was a couple of times that it was really cold out (for our area at least). When you zip in that inner liner the jacket does a much better job of holding in your body heat. The jacket, with all three layers, is a VERY warm jacket. In one case, we were riding in the north Georgia mountains early in the morning and the temp was in the mid-thirties, just above freezing, for the first two hours of our ride as we ascended the mountain. On the front seat, I was plenty warm. My wife, on the back seat, said she was "fine", but perhaps would have donned her Frogg Togg jacket over the top if the temps hadn't warmed up after a couple of hours.

One note on sizing, particularly if you're ordering your jacket online. The sizes on this jacket run big, by at least one whole size.

PS) I can't recommend NewEnough.com highly enough! BTW, they are now called MotorcycleGear.com. Good prices and great customer service! I had to try on three different sizes of this jacket before I got the size that fit. No big deal to them. They just kept shipping me jackets and giving me return goods authorizations until I got the right size. Nice to get good service these days.

·
Canuck
2,827 Posts
I have the original Flex. Assume Flex Series 2 is an improvement. The Flex is an excellent all-weather jacket. As Wingman said, three layers, truely a jacket for all seasons. I've only run with a heated vest in the 30's, but I would expect the Flex Series 2 with quality undergarments (like Under Armor) would do the trick if you don't have electrics. If you don't get electrics, check out post nos. 27 and 36 http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268495

At $160 from Newenough, you can't beat it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
. . . I can't recommend NewEnough.com highly enough! BTW, they are now called MotorcycleGear.com. Good prices and great customer service! I had to try on three different sizes of this jacket before I got the size that fit. No big deal to them. They just kept shipping me jackets and giving me return goods authorizations until I got the right size. Nice to get good service these days. . .
:agree: I buy all my riding gear from MortocycleGear.com now. First of all, their website is one of the best designed out there (you get detailed descriptions of items, plus various LARGE pictures, in addition to any reviews by owners - if available); but as WingMan says, their customer service is second to none!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have one 3 yrs now and LOVE it,probably going to order a spare..:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
just bought one a few minutes ago from Competition Accessories for $111.00 + 2.50 ins. free shipping.

They had all sizes and colors :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Not that this really means anything. But, if you're one of those that has to have the latest and greatest, the Tourmaster Flex 2 seems to be out of date now. The Tourmaster Flex 3 is the latest.

http://tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Textile-Jackets-p-1-c-3.html

$114 is a great price for the Flex 2 though.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm not, but thanks for the info. I have been waiting for this one to go on sell. I have a riding buddy that has one and he love's his. And your right

Finish the job in Nov. 2012

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does anyone have the silver one? I figured it would be cooler then the others in the summer. Wondering if you can wash it or clean it somehow? Is the inner liner black? Seems like this one would be the one to wear in the hotter weather?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Am I missing something here? I see this jacket at motorcyclegear.com for $114 not $160.
Nope, you're not missing something. Probably just my bad memory trying to recall the price I paid for something over 3 years ago!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Love my FLEX 2. I do not wear my leather jacket any more since I got the FLEX 2 three years ago. Good all weather jacket. :thumbup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just ordered a silver.
Im hoping it has better air flow than my Feildsheer mesh jacket.

·
Registered
262 Posts
had to exchange mine. I wear a XLG in a Joe Rocket. I wear a LG in this jacket. It's a real nice "system" type jacket.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
If anyone is considering this jacket, keep in mind they run large. So if you take a XL order a Large and it should be closer to your size. There is a warning on Competition Accessories and I believe also on MotorcycleGrear.com sites.
Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts