GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any fellow riders wearing this jacket? Im thinking of hanging up the old leather and replacing it with an "all weather jacket" and am looking for some real world advice on the tourmaster. Does it vent really well when its hot? How hot is to hot to wear it? Is it to bulky feeling without the liner? I like the armor and padding idea and that it is waterproof but does the extra length in the back get in the way when sitting on the bike? Any and all comments are welcome. Thanx... Mark

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey, I bought this jacket last fall. I have'nt worn it much though. I can tell you it seems very light and more comfortable than leather. I have not been caught in the rain YET, but they say it's water proof. I think I'm just going to wear it for summer and use the leather for colder days though.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
I purchased a pair of these last fall fro my wife and myself. So far, I have nothing but praise for them. I wear mine daily when I'm out riding. I've ridden in the teens (temperature) and felt comfortable.
It has not been warm enough since I bought it to take the liner out, but I've worn similar jackets (Joe Rocket, Tourmaster Cortech) all summer and benefitted from the extra ventilation.
I have a short torso and I cannot say the the jacket interferes with my comfort or seat position in any way. I also have a Utopia backrest. a couple of times, I've noticed a bit of extra stiffness along my back when I'm mounting the bike. I attribute this to the aforementioned torso because everything seems to settle in as soon as I position myself in the saddle.

Good luck with your search.

D

·
0 Posts
Hi,

I have this exact jacket and matching over-pants. Love them, wouldn't have anything else. I have a leather jacket but it's too hot when the temp moves north of 70 degrees. I also have draggin jeans that I wear with the Tourmaster jacket (liners removed) for those warm days.

Geof

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Wife and I both have transiton 2 jackets. I've ridden down to mid 20's with a short sleeve shirt under it and was plenty warm.

Haven't noticed the length at all it's very comfortable. Not sure how warm it can be before it gets too hot. I've ridden about 15 miles in 80 degree with the liner in and wasn't uncomfortable but had all the vents open and the windshield vent open also.

It hasn't gotten warm enough here in Kansas (gotta love the global warming) to take the liner out since I've only had it since Jan.

IMHO I think it's a great jacket.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
We love ours. Good from way too cold to ride to way to hot to ride.

Makes us feel a little safer at the same time.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I like mine. I'd say it is good from about 30 deg to about 85 deg F. I wore mine in the mid 80's and as long as I was moving it was fine, but I got a little warm when stopped at traffic lights. The vent system works very well. It is comfortable and has a double-ended main front zipper, so you can open the top or the bottom, so no need to worry about the length. Lots of pockets. Very well thought out design.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tourmaster

I purchased one in the spring of 08. Wore it summer and winter of '08, vents are good as long as you are moving, insulating liner was good down to upper 20s. The jacket has held up to daily wear.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used to be a die hard leather rider, but got a wild hair and switched to Tourmaster wear and love it. I have a mesh set and a non-mesh set. All their items are well made and do what they say they will do. For really good reviews go to www.newenough.com they persnally try every item they sell and provide wonderful reivews of the items. Great prices also.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx for all the responses, it was exactly what I was looking for. Im getting them for us after we go and try them on somewhere to get the right size. Then I will order them online at a cheaper price. Thanx again...Mark

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Excellent jacket.
I can't add to what's already been said.
I bought mine last fall from http://www.compacc.com/. they had the best price at the time, probably still do although it has gone up a few bucks.
It took them three months to get it to me but everyone else was out of them too.
Larry (thecruiser)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've got the original Transition jacket and after 5 years of hard use, it's time to get something new. I like all the features of the Transition 2 but haven't been able to find out if the liner is one or two piece.

My Transition liner is a two piece unit - separately usable rain liner and quilted liner. For those hot rainy days in Florida where I live, all I need is the rain liner. If the quilted liner is permanently attached, then it's too warm.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
thanx for all the responses, it was exactly what I was looking for. Im getting them for us after we go and try them on somewhere to get the right size. Then I will order them online at a cheaper price. Thanx again...Mark
And where are you going to "try" thing on when the local guy goes broke? At least tell the local guy what you can buy them for "on line" and give him a chance to get close. Remember, if you have an issue, some on line dealers are difficult and take a long time to get a resolution.

It is only 100 miles from SE Wisc. to Hatfield's in Muscatine Iowa. Pete is a great dealer. Make a nice ride down there for a visit and see what he can do.

Give the dealers a chance. I just bought a new helmet and headset from my Honda dealer and even with tax it was within $10 of what I could have mail ordered it for.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check local prices before I buy and see if they will come close to the online price I have found, like I usually do. Unfortunatly sometimes they just laugh and walk away saying " if you can buy it for that price go ahead ", which I then do. I would rather buy locally but it comes down to their attitude and price. I used to buy my oil and filters from local dealers but got tired of paying $12.00 for an oil filter, I now buy from Hal and get 3 filters for $16.00 plus all the other deals on items. Times are tough for dealers and consumers, but some dealers seem to forget that the market will only bear what consumers are willing to pay. I know other factors like state and local governments have a huge impact on local businesses, and in turn affect their overhead and profit but all I can do about that is cast an informed vote and hope for the best. I didnt mean to turn this into a rant so I will close by saying..... HAPPY EASTER , I have to go to Church now.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Jacket

Any fellow riders wearing this jacket? Im thinking of hanging up the old leather and replacing it with an "all weather jacket" and am looking for some real world advice on the tourmaster. Does it vent really well when its hot? It's decent. How hot is to hot to wear it? You'll know when it's too hot, trust me! Then just take the liner out and you're good to go. That is one good liner! The day I got it I had to take it for a test spin. I was doing 85 (Honda mph) in 42* weather and only my arms felt a little cool. That is some good insulation. Is it to bulky feeling without the liner? Not in the least. I like the armor and padding idea and that it is waterproof but does the extra length in the back get in the way when sitting on the bike? I have a long body that happens to extend forward a bit in the belly area. Any shirt/jacket/whatever has to be 'tall'. That's where the '3/4' length comes into play. Do try to buy where you can see one. I got our's at Green Bay MotorSports. My wifes was/is fine. It turns out 2 years later as I was exploring some of the hundreds of zippers that the vent for around the waist was sewn completely shut about 3 inches in. I wasn't a happy camper that day. If you think the length will be a problem I think Tourmaster just came out with a regular length jacket, very similar to the Transition. I hope this has helped you some. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanx... Mark
;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dealers

I will check local prices before I buy and see if they will come close to the online price I have found, like I usually do. Unfortunatly sometimes they just laugh and walk away saying " if you can buy it for that price go ahead ", which I then do.

What dealer/s are you referring to if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sportland II in oak creek is fairly arrogant about their prices, they are not Honda exclusive and cater more to the younger sport bike crowd so maybe they can get away with it. Its close to work and I will stop there when I have to. Racine Motorsports is my local Honda dealer and are a pretty decent place to do business with but its kind of a small building so not a lot of selection on jackets and stuff. I was going to buy my wing there but they could not get a blue 07 I wanted. Team Powersports in DePere just aff HWY 41 is where I ended up finding the one I bought, I watched them uncrate it while I was deciding to make the leap. It had the NAV on it that I didnt want or want to pay for but as I was heading for the door the salesman said 18,500 its yours, I said DEAL! They have a large selection of gear but I dont seem to get by there when they are open or I just dont have time, Im going to have to do something about that .

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I have owned one for 2 years and like it. I would probably buy a Kilamanjaro to replace it, but I cannot complain. It keeps me warm down to 40 degrees and I like the tailored fit.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Jackets

Sportland II in oak creek is fairly arrogant about their prices, they are not Honda exclusive and cater more to the younger sport bike crowd so maybe they can get away with it. Its close to work and I will stop there when I have to. Racine Motorsports is my local Honda dealer and are a pretty decent place to do business with but its kind of a small building so not a lot of selection on jackets and stuff. I was going to buy my wing there but they could not get a blue 07 I wanted. Team Powersports in DePere just aff HWY 41 is where I ended up finding the one I bought, I watched them uncrate it while I was deciding to make the leap. It had the NAV on it that I didnt want or want to pay for but as I was heading for the door the salesman said 18,500 its yours, I said DEAL! They have a large selection of gear but I dont seem to get by there when they are open or I just dont have time, Im going to have to do something about that .
Accept my apology, Team Motosports in DePere is the one I was referring too. Glad you had a good experience there.:congrats:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts